[Guide] Using DSDT with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

576 posts in this topic

I am not sure about these.

I will have to wait to I get back to my hack to tell you if I get them too. But I guess I will have them and if so, they have never caused any problem with using the system.

I have just asked Google and come up with this is you want to have a read and look in to it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1058018

No success at first attempt although I have strictly followed your guide my friend.

I think that one of my problems is my graphics card is not listed on ACPI Patcher, so I used nVidia (generic) 512 Mb and DUAL DVI. As it did not appeared PEGP I did not include it.

Sound did not run either but I have just seen I did not select HDEF Audio . Anyway I added after that same LegacyHDA.kext you mentioned at your guide to Extra/Extensions folder.

My main problem is my graphics card again :)

Is it really risky to use koalala's patcher with our common gigabyte dual bios ?

Thanks in advance for all your help !! :)

My mate :)

Don't worry if your first attempt didn't work. It took me a maybe 10 attempts to get one I was happy with when I first started playing with DSDT.

As for your graphics card..mmmm..You are going to have do some searching to see who else has managed to do it with your card and copy what they did.

Audio, yes, try it again with with HDEF selected. and the LegacyHDA.kext added in /Extra. And don't forget to remove you EFI strings from com.apple.Boot.plist.

As for the risk involved with the common gigabyte dual bios.. That only applies if you're re-flashing your BIOS. and we are not.

Well done, keep trying with different settings :)

EDIT: If you can't get your video working with DSDT then you can still use device (EFI) strings for your video and DSDT for everything else.

If you can't get your video working with DSDT then you can still use device (EFI) strings for your video and DSDT for everything else.

That is my latest idea !! In that case I could leave gfx strings in com.apple.boot.plist .I am going to try with other nvidia cards in acpi patcher only for fun. If that is not the case, afterwards, I will use EFI strings.

Thank you again, my friend ! ;)

Well, this is my fifth attempt.

I have done dsdt only with network and audio and although graphics card is more o less described on dsdt too as generic nvidia card, I have put in Extra folder com.apple.boot.plist my nvidia efi strings.

I have done some mistakes. I think one of them is to eliminate too many kext in Extra/Extension folder.

Finally I have left AppleDecrypt, Disabler, OAHCIBlockStorageInjector, OpenHaltRestart, UUID and grey LegacyHDA .

By now I have a fully working 10.5.7 Leopard running. Next step will be modifying dsdt to fix CMOS reset bug and afterwards I am going to try installing Snow Leopard.

I will report any success.

Thanks again ^_^

Well done - Great! ^_^

The only kexts you are missing from that list are RealtekR1000.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext

Editing your DSDT for the CMOS Reset fix is easy.

And Snow Leopard..... although I installed it fairly easily, others can't seem to get past the kernel panics... Hopefully I will help them work out why soon!.... But good luck when you attempt it

:)

i have tried a few times now to get the DSDT method to work on my system and i have yet to succeed. my issue is that i cannot get my "airport" card to work after i remove the video card and network strings from my bootlist and implement the DSDT file. below is a picture of what IOPRegistryExplorer reports for my ethernet.

if you were in my shoes, what location would you be entering for the ethernet settings in the ACPI patcher?

ethernet.jpg

Do you want Ethernet to work or airport or both? as I have never played with airport settings.

When you built your original EFI string using EFI studio, you must have added your Ethernet device which would have given you the string for Ethernet. Did you get and EFI string for airport too? If not are you saying that the airport just worked even though the EFI string you used just contained the video & (onboard) ethernet?

With regard to your screengrab and the question of 'what location would you be entering for the ethernet settings', I would choose PEX5. Your airport is on HUB0 (you can enter different values in to ACPIPatcher, the box above the dropdown menu is editable and allows custom codes)

Does this help?

Do you want Ethernet to work or airport or both? as I have never played with airport settings.

When you built your original EFI string using EFI studio, you must have added your Ethernet device which would have given you the string for Ethernet. Did you get and EFI string for airport too? If not are you saying that the airport just worked even though the EFI string you used just contained the video & (onboard) ethernet?

With regard to your screengrab and the question of 'what location would you be entering for the ethernet settings', I would choose PEX5. Your airport is on HUB0 (you can enter different values in to ACPIPatcher, the box above the dropdown menu is editable and allows custom codes)

Does this help?

before trying to switch over to using the DSDT method i only had strings for the video card and the ethernet port. my wireless card work fine without having to add anything (i bough a DLINK Wireless N card that was highly compatable with OSX for this reason). after i remove my ethernet string and video card string from my boot.plist and use the DSDT.aml instead, i cannot get my "airport" card to work at all.

i am at a loss. any suggestions would be appreciated. i tried using HUB0 as the location of the "ethernet" in the patcher and this did not work either.

mmmm.. Maybe try making a DSDT.aml without Ethernet and just add a device (EFI) string for Ethernet to com.apple.Boot.plist

i tried this, no success. everything else works great with DSDT (audio, video, ethernet), it just removes my wifi card, which i need since i cannot run a CAT5 cable to the room where my hackintosh is.

i am searching hard to find some more information on this issue, but have not found much. i have to believe there is a large portion of people running Wifi card in their desktop hacks, i was hoping to uncover more information.

any insight is greatly appreciated. if i figure this out, i will post my findings here.

thanks again blackosx.

i tried this, no success. everything else works great with DSDT (audio, video, ethernet), it just removes my wifi card, which i need since i cannot run a CAT5 cable to the room where my hackintosh is.

i am searching hard to find some more information on this issue, but have not found much. i have to believe there is a large portion of people running Wifi card in their desktop hacks, i was hoping to uncover more information.

any insight is greatly appreciated. if i figure this out, i will post my findings here.

I can imagine it's a right pain for you... But I don't use wireless in my hack so I can't talk from experience.

This might not help but there a wireless discussion going on for 10.6 here

I can imagine it's a right pain for you... But I don't use wireless in my hack so I can't talk from experience.

This might not help but there a wireless discussion going on for 10.6 here

thanks for that link, read through that thread, not much information as of yet.

i don't care about on-board audio as i use my hack for audio production and for this i am using an external firewire-based sound card. my video works excellent with the EFI strings added to boot.plist, as does my ethernet (on-board) / time machine. my wifi card has been plug and play with OSX since day one.

as my system stands right now, everything is great. 10.5.8, sleep working, i am happy. however, SL will be in my mailbox on Friday and i want to install it.

here is my "new" question. is there ANY way around the CMOS issue that 10.6 will create OTHER than the DSDT fix? if not, looks like i will have to continue to figure this out, but thought i would check first.

thanks!

here is my "new" question. is there ANY way around the CMOS issue that 10.6 will create OTHER than the DSDT fix? if not, looks like i will have to continue to figure this out, but thought i would check first.

Okay, well good luck with the Wi-Fi anyway..

I don't think so, but it is easy to build a DSDT.aml and if you want to keep your video, network etc. as device (EFI) strings in com.appel.Boot.plist then just build a DSDT with basic options turned on, HPET, Local0, WAK etc... then add the CMOS Reset fix to that. :police:

Okay, well good luck with the Wi-Fi anyway..

I don't think so, but it is easy to build a DSDT.aml and if you want to keep your video, network etc. as device (EFI) strings in com.appel.Boot.plist then just build a DSDT with basic options turned on, HPET, Local0, WAK etc... then add the CMOS Reset fix to that. :thumbsup_anim:

this is getting a bit more interesting. so i moved my wifi card from PCI1 to PCI2 and now the DSDT.aml works with my wifi card, BUT my firewire card no longer works. so it appears that the DSDT.aml is causing my PCI1 slot to be inactive.

anyone else experience anything like this?

this is getting a bit more interesting. so i moved my wifi card from PCI1 to PCI2 and now the DSDT.aml works with my wifi card, BUT my firewire card no longer works. so it appears that the DSDT.aml is causing my PCI1 slot to be inactive.

anyone else experience anything like this?

Well done with getting it to work :)

As for your firewire no longer working?.. I haven't got that on my mobo so I don't know... But it's strange that it should just stop working. Keep trying though, you are close....

Well done with getting it to work :P

As for your firewire no longer working?.. I haven't got that on my mobo so I don't know... But it's strange that it should just stop working. Keep trying though, you are close....

i am somewhat at a loss of what to do.

basically, the dsdt.aml that is created by the DSDT Patcher, includes something in the code (I have no idea what) that is cause one of my 2 PCI ports on the mobo to not function. in other words, if i put my wifi card in slot 1, it works fine, if i put my wifi card in slot 2 it does not even power up. same can be said for my firewire card.

i spent about 5 hours last night scouring the internet for similar issues, and did not get very far.

even if i create a basic dsdt.aml without audio/video/network, this problem still persists, so i am a bit worried about how i will be able to successfully run SL with the known CMOS issue and not being able to use a dsdt.aml AND retain usage of both of my PCI slots.

i am going to continue to poke around today, but i am not too hopeful, as it seems i am having a rather isolate issue.

Sorry to hear you still have a problem, but as I don't use a WiFi card and the GA-EP45-DS3L doesn't have firewire I can't test this for you. All I can really suggest is you maybe post this problem in one of the main DSDT threads, such as koalala's where you'll find users with more expertise with DSDT.

But I hope you can get it sorted.

After knowing my DSDT is valid, I wanted to fix CMOS reset bug in order to install Snow Leopard. Therefore I have used iaslMe. I have changed line describe in your guide, but after that I have used again iaslMe to compile again my DSDT. I have got now a file named dsdt.asl on a folder but it seems to be different than original one as it is describe in Finder as a Document file, while the first one is described as a Unix executable file. Then I have thought I have made a mistake editing my decompiled dsdl.dsl file and therefore I have got a fake not executable dsdt.aml, but I have tested iaslMe compiling and direct decompiling original dsdt.aml without changing anything, but I have obtained the dsdt.aml document not unix executable file.

Any idea to fix it ??

Thanks in advance ;)

If I am using a firewire audio interface then I wouldn't need to worry about patching the audio in the DSDT, right? If that's the case then I can probably just disable the onboard audi from BIOS.

I haven't used firewire audio, but I guess yes, you should be able to disable audio in the BIOS and not worry about patching audio in to DSDT. But you'll will have to test this as I haven't.

After knowing my DSDT is valid, I wanted to fix CMOS reset bug in order to install Snow Leopard. Therefore I have used iaslMe. I have changed line describe in your guide, but after that I have used again iaslMe to compile again my DSDT. I have got now a file named dsdt.asl on a folder but it seems to be different than original one as it is describe in Finder as a Document file, while the first one is described as a Unix executable file. Then I have thought I have made a mistake editing my decompiled dsdl.dsl file and therefore I have got a fake not executable dsdt.aml, but I have tested iaslMe compiling and direct decompiling original dsdt.aml without changing anything, but I have obtained the dsdt.aml document not unix executable file.

Any idea to fix it ??

Thanks in advance :)

Hi mate ;)

Yes, I have just followed you same steps (though I am doing it from 10.6) and yes it happens to me too.

When I decompile my DSDT.aml with iaslMe it too becomes DSDT.dsl with file type of Document.

and when I then recompile it with iaslMe it then makes a DSDT.aml with file type of Document.

So I get the same as you. Let me reboot with this file and I'll tell you if this works or not.

EDIT: I have just rebooted using the DSDT.aml with file type of Document and it works fine. So carry on mate :)

Just patched with DSDT, and removed device properties for graphics/ethernet

I gained audio just as this guide suggested. Also chose ALC888-0, I don't know if choosing ALC888-2 will make a difference, can it hurt?

I used the 4out2in kext, and I believe it works (4out implying 7.1 which I guess I could test if I plug Front Speaker connection into Side Speakers out, but not a priority atm). Though I'm not sure if the Audio sounds all the great =P Is your sound quality fine? Mine prob is, will test further.

Ethernet looks good too, I still have internet! =P and Bonjour still works (still have the R1000 kext)

But... I have lost QE/CI. What can I do here? Would it conflict if I re-add the device property for graphics only?

In the ACPIPatcher I selected 9800gt/512mb. With EFI strings, I always chose 8800gt (because 9 series is not listed), and simply edited the text to 9800gt. Maybe I can re-try selecting the 8800gt (Essentially the same card)? I dunno.

Edit: I've also lost Sleep, is this a direct result of no QE/CI? When I try to induce it, I lose the mouse for a few seconds, then just comes back.

Just patched with DSDT, and removed device properties for graphics/ethernet

I gained audio just as this guide suggested. Also chose ALC888-0, I don't know if choosing ALC888-2 will make a difference, can it hurt?

I used the 4out2in kext, and I believe it works (4out implying 7.1 which I guess I could test if I plug Front Speaker connection into Side Speakers out, but not a priority atm). Though I'm not sure if the Audio sounds all the great =P Is your sound quality fine? Mine prob is, will test further.

Ethernet looks good too, I still have internet! =P and Bonjour still works (still have the R1000 kext)

But... I have lost QE/CI. What can I do here? Would it conflict if I re-add the device property for graphics only?

In the ACPIPatcher I selected 9800gt/512mb. With EFI strings, I always chose 8800gt (because 9 series is not listed), and simply edited the text to 9800gt. Maybe I can re-try selecting the 8800gt (Essentially the same card)? I dunno.

Edit: I've also lost Sleep, is this a direct result of no QE/CI? When I try to induce it, I lose the mouse for a few seconds, then just comes back.

If you can't get your video working with DSDT then just leave the video section empty when using ACPIPatcher, then use a device (EFI) string for your video.

Audio, what mobo are you using? as I have heard somebody before say their audio wasn't that great using DSDT and a LegacyHDA.kext but they were not using the EP45-DS3L.

Yes, sleep can be linked with video, so maybe?

I got my SL installation Stabled today but can't make Audio work, is there something i need to do on the DSDT aside from the CMOS reset fix, to make my audio work without using VoodooHDA?

using VoodooHDA worked but KP.

Thanks in advance

If you are using EP45-DS3L, do what I did, add HDEF for the audio when building your DSDT in ACPIPatcher and then just add the LegacyHDA.kext from my support files in to /E/E.

Can someone Help Me compile my DSDT

I have a ASUS A8N-SLI mobo

Every time I try compiling it fails.

Here is the DSDT File I force compiled

All I can say is follow my guide here and apply it to your system.