Driver compatibility for Dell Studio 14z (Successful OSX install!)

519 posts in this topic

Seems like you got a lot done in the 10 min time frame, lol. I didn't even get a chance to reply back to your PM.

But based on your PM's info, it seems like the resolution has been slightly clipped to 1360x768, which is fine by me.

I have to sleep to go to work tomorrow, but I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help, westep23!

Put this in /System/Library/Display/Overrides

So incase other people are reading and couldn't follow what was going on in the last 2 messages, basically westep23 was experimenting with /System/Library/Display/Overrides files. He created an override file using np_'s display utility, and then got the internal LCD to display at 1360x768 in regular Leo (in SL, native res 1366x768 is supported he says).

After westep23 brought my attention to display overriding, I was looking at np_'s progress on his LCD tests. Looking at some posts on there, I realized that we can easily see if OSX is reading the EDID or not by checking the Windows Server Log. And look what I found (this is with the modified DSDT or Natit):

Aug 17 06:18:01 [115] Display 0x2bc40f00: MappedDisplay Unit 0; Vendor 0x6af Model 0x103c S/N 0; online enabled (0,0)[-1073750400 x -1073750400], base addr 0x21c6000

Vendor 0x6af and Model 0x103c corresponds to my internal AUO LCD, so OSX is definitely reading the EDID correct. And if you look further down the line, that huge neg number multiply by another neg number indicates some kind of arithmetic overflow for the resolution, which could mean that 1366x768 is not a valid resolution under regular Leo.

If I use my NVCAP value in the Natit, we see:

Aug 17 06:23:20 [67] Display 0x2b103855: MappedDisplay Unit 1; Vendor 0x10ac Model 0x403c S/N 926168917; online enabled (0,0)[1680 x 1050], base addr 0x1800000

And that corresponds to my external HDMI display, and the resolution is correct.

Unfortunately, westep23 has the SEC (sorry the other LCD model is not LG, but SEC) internal LCD, so the display override file he provided above does not work for me. To create the override display file, I need np_'s DisplayUtility. But it seems like np_'s DisplayUtility attachment is no longer on this forum, and I have no idea where I can get a copy of it...

Try this one. Just clarify I didn't use np_'s utility. I used Switchresx in SL then copied the override file to the Leo install. I found out tonight that you can use switchrex to create a override for a unattached display.

Actually had some free time tonight, so I tested out this Display Override.

I just want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH westep23. The internal LCD works, with the resolution of 1360x768 and QE/CI. 6 pixels missing from the right, but it's okay :)

So for other users, here's what you need:

- bcc9's modified Natit.kext (NVCAP with Ch1 as 01, and Ch2 as 0E,0C,or 0A), put into wherever you place your extensions. In my case, the EFI partition.

- westep23's customized Display Override Folder/File, put in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides

Restart and you're set :)

EDIT: Attached below for people to find easily. Give credits to the people mentioned above, not me. They're the geniuses :)

BTW, if you have the AUO internal LCD, use the DisplayVendorID_6af. If you have the SEC internal LCD, use the DisplayVendorID_4ca3.

EDIT2: You can actually put both DisplayVendorID into the Displays/Overrides folder. OSX will be able to choose accordingly.

Natit.kext.zip

DisplayVendorID_6af.zip

DisplayVendorID_4ca3.zip

Actually had some free time tonight, so I tested out this Display Override.

I just want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH westep23. The internal LCD works, with the resolution of 1360x768 and QE/CI. 6 pixels missing from the right, but it's okay :rolleyes:

So for other users, here's what you need:

- bcc9's modified Natit.kext (NVCAP with Ch1 as 01, and Ch2 as 0E,0C,or 0A), put into wherever you place your extensions. In my case, the EFI partition.

- westep23's customized Display Override Folder/File, put in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides

Restart and you're set :D

EDIT: Attached below for people to find easily. Give credits to the people mentioned above, not me. They're the geniuses :)

BTW, if you have the AUO internal LCD, use the DisplayVendorID_6af. If you have the SEC internal LCD, use the DisplayVendorID_4ca3.

EDIT2: You can actually put both DisplayVendorID into the Displays/Overrides folder. OSX will be able to choose accordingly.

Is what you've listed everything that needs to be done to get graphics working properly? I added the attached Display overides folders and installed the attached Natit.kext, repairs permissions and I get a panic when I restart. Removing the Natit.kext manually allows me to boot again. I have a 1600x900 screen by the way. Anything I forgot or should try? Thanks.

I should also let people know that with the Dell 1397 wireless card airport works perfectly with the Broadcom drivers.

For the 1600x900, HannibalX didn't need any of the display overrides, only the Natit.kext to get his display working.

Can you tell me which distribution you're using? And what version of OSX? BTW, try just the Natit.kext alone.

If Natit.kext doesn't work, I don't think bcc9's DSDT would work... but you can give it a try.

Is what you've listed everything that needs to be done to get graphics working properly? I added the attached Display overides folders and installed the attached Natit.kext, repairs permissions and I get a panic when I restart. Removing the Natit.kext manually allows me to boot again. I have a 1600x900 screen by the way. Anything I forgot or should try? Thanks.

I should also let people know that with the Dell 1397 wireless card airport works perfectly with the Broadcom drivers.

For the 1600x900, HannibalX didn't need any of the display overrides, only the Natit.kext to get his display working.

Can you tell me which distribution you're using? And what version of OSX? BTW, try just the Natit.kext alone.

If Natit.kext doesn't work, I don't think bcc9's DSDT would work... but you can give it a try.

I installed iDeneb 10.5.7.1 (OSX 10.5.7) with the Broadcom wireless drivers as the only addition. Installing the Natit.kext on this thread with or without the display overides gives me a panic on boot. I would try the DSDT, but I don't know how to install that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

MrFuzzemz

Most of here have tried the retail disk, but it is a pain in the ass. I do not recommend it.

Try using iATKOS v7. I think iATKOS is closer to vanilla than iDeneb.

Thanks for the suggestion. Selecting Natit during iAtkos v7 install gave me full graphics. I'm not sure what's wrong with the iDeneb build. Has anyone had any success with audio? I can confirm VoodooHDA yields crackling noise.

Otherwise everything works for me including wireless.

I'm surprised that iATKOS v7's Natit would work. Are you sure external HDMI is working as well?

No one has had any success with audio yet, as far as I know. Perhaps we can look forward to the next version of VoodooHDA...

Thanks for the suggestion. Selecting Natit during iAtkos v7 install gave me full graphics. I'm not sure what's wrong with the iDeneb build. Has anyone had any success with audio? I can confirm VoodooHDA yields crackling noise.

Otherwise everything works for me including wireless.

I'm surprised that iATKOS v7's Natit would work. Are you sure external HDMI is working as well?

No one has had any success with audio yet, as far as I know. Perhaps we can look forward to the next version of VoodooHDA...

I was able to output 1080i and 720p to my HDTV via HDMI no problem (except for the small cropping of the borders).

Nice, then the guys at iATKOS did a great job with v7 :D

A solution to the sound problem is to get a cheap usb sound card. I got mine for $10 at DealsExtreme, dunno if they still have it anymore.

I was able to output 1080i and 720p to my HDTV via HDMI no problem (except for the small cropping of the borders).

I get less-staticky sound by going into the Audio MIDI Setup program under Utilities and changing the output format to 16bit/44Khz (using VoodooHDA under SL). Also under SL all I needed to get video working was the modded DSDT. Wireless worked after booting into 32bit mode and modding the Atheros .plist to include the right PCI IDs. Wired networking worked after adding the R1000 kext (the built in Apple Realtek driver complains about an incompatible firmware version or something). I don't get any sleep or suspend, or even battery management (but I haven't played around with any power management kexts yet).

Try the VoodooBattery.kext for battery management. Worked perfectly for me.

I'm done tinkering with my OSX for now, so I don't think I'll try anything you mentioned for regular Leo. Maybe when I'm feeling a bit more adventurous on another day :wacko: While having a perfectly working OSX is great, I can live without internal sound or ethernet (usb sound card and wireless suits my needs).

I get less-staticky sound by going into the Audio MIDI Setup program under Utilities and changing the output format to 16bit/44Khz (using VoodooHDA under SL). Also under SL all I needed to get video working was the modded DSDT. Wireless worked after booting into 32bit mode and modding the Atheros .plist to include the right PCI IDs. Wired networking worked after adding the R1000 kext (the built in Apple Realtek driver complains about an incompatible firmware version or something). I don't get any sleep or suspend, or even battery management (but I haven't played around with any power management kexts yet).

bcc9,

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Codec: IDT 92HD83C1X5

idt92hd8xxx.txt linux codec dump

voodoodump.txt voodoo codec dump

pinconfig.rtf pinconfig

idt92hd8xxx.svg.zip codegraph svg

I can get AppleHDA to load but I dont get any sound devices.

I've spent all weekend trying to get AppleHDA to work with no results as well. I patched the AppleHDA binary, dumped the pinconfig from my Windows 7 installation, did the conversion to the right format for the .plist files, etc, etc, and just couldn't get it to work. It loads, but I get a million errors thrown by it on startup and I don't get any sound. I did hack at the DSDT to get AppleHDA to load without needing the HDAEnabler kext, however, if anyone wants that.

I've spent all weekend trying to get AppleHDA to work with no results as well. I patched the AppleHDA binary, dumped the pinconfig from my Windows 7 installation, did the conversion to the right format for the .plist files, etc, etc, and just couldn't get it to work. It loads, but I get a million errors thrown by it on startup and I don't get any sound. I did hack at the DSDT to get AppleHDA to load without needing the HDAEnabler kext, however, if anyone wants that.

So the codec for your hardware has different nodes&pin configs than the 1340, so you need to build a new pathmap&pinconfig, just like I did for the 1340. With the modified DSDT approach, you can use the stock AppleHDA (no patch required), and a single plist addition like I posted in the 1340 10.6 thread. For the DSDT, you just need to s/Device (AZA)/Device (HDEF)/ and add the bare-bones _DSM method to the HDEF entry:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
        Store (Package (0x04)
               {
                "layout-id", 
                Buffer (0x04)
                {
                 0x0c, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                }, 
                "PinConfigurations", 
                Buffer (Zero)
                {
                 }
                }, Local0)
              DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
              Return (Local0)
       }

to insert the minimal EFI strings.

Same here, Do you get any devices at all. My understanding from what I read is even with the errors. We should something mic or headphones at least. Also what devid did you replace in the applehda binary.

Finally after 2 weeks of hacking I have working sound. Only tested for the last 30 min, So use at your own risk.

Internal mic works and hp autosense on front hp jack. Also removed the digital nid since I dont think we have digital out.

I'm gonna clean this up a bit, and then start on hdmi audio. Needs the miniamal dsdt hack that bcc9 posted also credit goes for the kext. All I did was find the right nodes. Also It sound's like it powers down or up every 10 min. So If someone want to work on that great.HDAIDT.kext.zip

I'm gonna clean this up a bit, and then start on hdmi audio. Needs the miniamal dsdt hack that bcc9 posted also credit goes for the kext. All I did was find the right nodes. Also It sound's like it powers down or up every 10 min. So If someone want to work on that great.HDAIDT.kext.zip

Cool, did you figure out volume control for the built-in mic?

I assume you see the same AppleHDA assertion messages at boot time as with the 1340.

Finally after 2 weeks of hacking I have working sound. Only tested for the last 30 min, So use at your own risk.

Internal mic works and hp autosense on front hp jack. Also removed the digital nid since I dont think we have digital out.

You rock! It also works for me (well, for 5 minutes so far). I'm using the DSDT hack, the kext provided, and a completely stock AppleHDA.kext.

Edit: I do get some assertions on startup.

Double Edit: I seem to get a kernel panic due to AppleHDA occasionally on startup - I can't figure out any pattern to it.