[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 with Chameleon v2 RC2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (Optional update to 10.5.8)

blackosx

511 posts in this topic

I removed that plus the NetowrkingFamily.kext and RealtekR1000.kext that I put in at the same time.

Installed updated, bonjour obviously broken again, as is sleep (system.log reports 'system Doze'). All as others have found.

You can get Bonjour working again by leaving RealtekR1000.kext & IONetworkingFamily.kext in /E/E and just adding the new IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.5.8's S/L/E

Tried that, along with the Disabler he links to on that post (which also disables ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

as well as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement), end result was sleep with fans and lights still on - and no ability to wake. doh.

Experiments continue...

Thanks for trying those, I didn't know what the changes were. I am away from my hack until this evening.

Keep up the good work ;)

Experiments continue...

Right.

* reverted to Disabler.kext I was using before (only disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement).

* put back RealtekR1000 1.8.1, copied over IONetworkingFamily and IOPCIFamily again from the retail install's /System/Library/Extensions, to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions. IOPCIFamily at least was updated by 10.5.8 so it makes sense we need the new one.

sudo cp -R /system/library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext /Volumes/chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext /Volumes/chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext /Volumes/chameleon/Extra/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext /Volumes/chameleon/Extra/Extensions/RealtekR1000.kext

* Rebooted and Bonjour now works again (at least as far as iTunes sharing goes, and that was a good bellweather before).

* Sleep....right. Should have tested that again before I started writing here ;) back in a mo'

* Sleep....right. Should have tested that again before I started writing here :P back in a mo'

Sadly, still borked. Fans and lights on + unwakeable.

Will need to take a look at what the rest of the community is doing, more later.

Hi, Blackosx, First let me thank you for such a clear to follow guide and your art to

simplify the complicated.

I am a user with an HP m9250f desktop (C2Q, Asus motherboard with modified BIOS for

easier installation, Realtek1000 LAN, ALC888S sound, 8600GTS, etc.). I had iATKOS v7

10.5.7 installed before (the usual way of install), where i have to use voodoohda to have

sound, and have working LAN but time machine has problem. I purchased the retail leopard

10.5.6 and found your guide here seems to be the easist to follow and understand,

so I tried to follow it, despite that the motherboard isn't the same, as I believe the

concept is the same. In short I now have an almost fully functional retail install (big

thank you!) but some remaining questions to clear up my mind. Please provide your

insight.

Here is what I did and questions I have:

Boot the retail using your Boot cd, partitioned and formatted into Chameleon (1G) and

Macintosh (the rest). Installed on Machintosh partition.

Use the BootCD to boot into the Leopard install, was welcomed by Apple with working Sound

and LAN, Graphic not working of course. (Q: does this mean the retail install natively

support my sound and LAN without extra kext?)

Didn't do the update, I installed the Chameleon RC2 onto the Chameleon partition. I copied most of your kext provided on the CD, Except those associated with Realtek LAN and VoodooHDA. I added the EFI string of my graphic and LAN following your step using EFI studio. I compiled the new .mkext file. Then restarted.

Now my grahic works, the LAN still works, and no time machine problem. But I have no Sound anymore. However, it was able to detect the Mic on my microsoft webcmae NX1000, or my logitech USB mic. (Q: Why I had sound with the original install, but lost it after the Chameleon install, even though I did not add any sound related kext provided? )

So I added the three kext file for audio provided in the bootcd (voodoohda etc.), and restarted. Now the sound came (only the analog stereo sound) BUT, neither the mic on the webcam or the USB mic can be detected this time. I replugged and restarted several times. Still no mic. Btw I rebuild the mkext file each time I make change in the \Extra folder.

Finally I caved, I removed the the three audio kext file in the Extra folder (lost sound again), and used kexthelper to install the voodoohda.kext file along into the \Leopard\Library\Extension folder. Restart. Now I have sound AND the both mic detected (just like when I was on the iAKTOS install).

The same time, my restart and shutdown works but the sleep not working (go to half sleep with fan running and can't wake up).

I backed up the 10.5.6 install. then used the apple update and went to 10.5.8. Applied VoodooHDA in the leopard extension folder. everything else still works but now the shutdonw stops working (just like the sleep does, with fan running). But I guess that another problem.

My main question is "how is the EFI partions works"? Doe it take whatever is in the extra folder and use that as part of the system drivers when boot up, then will load the rest necessary driver from the system folder? Such logic can not explain why my originally working audio stopped working once Chameleon installed.

Also, if I need other drivers such as my built-in wireless, do I just extract the known working kext file and include it into the Chameleon Extra folder?

I hope I can work those mysteries out and write up sth for other HP m9250f users to install the retail. But I guess I have to know much further.

Appreciate your help.

forrestsun,

The reason that you have sound in first boot(install boot) is because the Boot CD has a Voodoo Kext(Sound) already injected into it. And its not only sound, LAN works too..

So, when you install Chameleon, you don´t boot with Boot CD, but using Chameleon bootloader..Its mean that you have to inject(load an kext) sound, lan, and other devices to be loaded by Chameleon.

After chameleon installation, you will see an folder called: "/Extra". There is another folder called "Extensions" Inside it, and your kexts may placed here to be loaded from Chameleon bootloader.

So, to get sound and lan, preserving Leopard install untouched, you must install VoodooHDA.kext and RealtekR1000 in /Extra/Extensions.

Next, you will must rebuild Extensions.mkext with method posted on this thread.

Hope it helps.

If you need more help, please post it on another section of forum, to make this thread 'clean' for this motherboard model.

Regards.

Thiago

Thanks thiagomorales for helping out here. ;)

@forrestsun

thiagomorales has answered most of your questions. But I will answer your last questions as they are generic, rather than specific to your motherboard for which, as thiagomorales says, please post to a thread dedicated for that.

EFI partition generally works the same as the separate Chameleon partition, except it's a hidden volume and needs to be accessed with the Terminal rather than the finder. When Chameleon is invoked at boot, it looks for com.apple.Boot.plist, DSDT, SMBIOS files and also kexts from within the /Extra folder and attempts to load them in to the system. With regards to kexts, if Chameleon finds any in /E/E that already exist in /S/L/E then it will attempt to load whichever is the newest version.

I can't guarantee this explanation is 100% correct, and for exact details you will need to read up at the voodooprojects forums.

If you need other drivers then find out what they are and try and add them to Chameleon's /Extra folder. Not all kexts will load from /Extra. It's down to trial and error.

Many thanks to thiagomorales and blackosx for answering my question. I will direct my future question to other thread, but lucky me, your bootcd works for my setup. For a moment I thought my motherboard is100% leopard compatible. LOL. Thanks!

I gave the generic boot CD a try but it still didn’t work. When I entered “80” and pressed <enter>, It returned to the original lines: "press enter to start uo Darwin/x86........with boot:" I don't get an option to chose a partition. Not sure what the issue is…

There is one thing that could be related to this issue. I’m having a hard time to boot from the CD. When the “verifying DMI Pool data” is done, the system hangs. I found that if the HDD is disconnected, it will boot without a problem. When it does, I just have the reconnect the HDD and I can continue. In fact that’s how I was able to go through the first few steps of this guide and install Leopard on my Macintosh partition. The boot sequence in my BIOS is setup properly.

I really don’t know what the issue is but I need to figure something out. I will spend some time tonight to try fixing it and hopefully get a hackintosh going ASAP. If anyone might know what the problem is, or have ideas of things that I should try, feel free to share those with me.

I have a feeling my BIOS is not properly setup. Is there a guide that can help me with set those up?

Here are more details about my system:

EP45-DS3L (F10)

Intel E5200 dual core

Nvidia 8800GS PCIExpress

2 GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400c4

SATA Pioneer DVD

SATA WD 1.0 TB

When the “verifying DMI Pool data” is done, the system hangs. I found that if the HDD is disconnected, it will boot without a problem. When it does, I just have the reconnect the HDD and I can continue. In fact that’s how I was able to go through the first few steps of this guide and install Leopard on my Macintosh partition. The boot sequence in my BIOS is setup properly.

I have a feeling my BIOS is not properly setup. Is there a guide that can help me with set those up?

Hi clamoure

Sounds like a hardware issue. Can you install Windows on your system?. Just asking to see if everything is working?

But maybe somebody else has ideas for you...

I will have a think and let you know if I find anything.

Hi clamoure

Sounds like a hardware issue. Can you install Windows on your system?. Just asking to see if everything is working?

But maybe somebody else has ideas for you...

I will have a think and let you know if I find anything.

I can install Windows without and everything works perfectly. I only have problem booting from the CD when AHCI is selected in the BIOS. I'm sure the fact that I cannot see the partition (whether using you boot CD or the generic) is related to the same core problem. I just need to find out what it is.

Is there anything in the BIOS that need to be selected aside from the SATA ACHI Mode to AHCI?

10.5.8 Sleep now works!

but you will need to use a DSDT which will allow you to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement block from Disbaler.kext. So for anyone of you without the quicktime mouse lag bug, you'll be able to remove Disabler.kext completely :D

which setup makes sleep work for you?

chameleon on efi partition with dsdt

or

chameleon on seperate partition with dsdt

and if i just followed your guide for chameleon on efi partition (dual boot guide), how can i replace the files in extra folder? does the "cp" command replace the files in the extra folder that have the same name? is there an option to view the files that are currently in extra folder?

Hi BlackOSX,

thanks for your great guide ! I have a EP45-DS3R board i think its not far away from yours. Yesterday i have updated to 10.5.8 and all runs fine. I used the chance to work more with Chameleon RC2 and the Extra directory. But after Update i have the Problem (like many others) that the sleep mode not running. Same at my board. So i tried to remove the disabler.kext but now i get a kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext. "No HPETs available... CPU(s) configured incorrectly...

have you a tip for me ? what can i do ?

(DSDT ??)

best regards

the weasel

which setup makes sleep work for you?

chameleon on efi partition with dsdt

or

chameleon on seperate partition with dsdt

Both work.

and if i just followed your guide for chameleon on efi partition (dual boot guide), how can i replace the files in extra folder? does the "cp" command replace the files in the extra folder that have the same name? is there an option to view the files that are currently in extra folder?

You have to use the Terminal.

you can cd to a directory to change directory. i.e. cd /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

you can rm to remove a file from a directory. i.e. rm /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/Disabler.kext

you can cp to copy a file to a directory i.e. cp ~/Desktop/fileA /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/

kexts are folders, so to copy a folder you need to use the -R flag with cp. i.e. cp -R ~/Desktop/fileA /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions/

you can ls to list then contents of a directory i.e. ls /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

For some commands you will need to use su or sudo to achieve administrative rights.

You need to read about terminal commands, use the man option in terminal. i.e. man ls

Thats some basics for you, but unfortunately I don't have the time to teach my limited knowledge on UNIX.

You will find more details in my EFI Dual Boot Guide.

:)

So i tried to remove the disabler.kext but now i get a kernel panic on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext. "No HPETs available... CPU(s) configured incorrectly...

have you a tip for me ? what can i do ?

(DSDT ??)

If you remove the Disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext you NEED to have made a properly configured DSDT.aml file for your motherboard which will sort the HPET problem.

I have written a guide for achieving DSDT for the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Spend all evening and it is now working. I was finally able to see the partition using the generic boot CD. I play with a few setting in the BIOS and it finally worked. As for the problem I had to boot from the DVD, I found out (from another forum) that the pioneer model need some time before start booting. Someone recommended to press F12 at startup, when until the Drive light turn off before selecting it from the list, as simple as that.

I haven't tested everything but here is the status: Sound and network is working fine. I just have some issues wit the video card. When a move a window on the desktop, It gets all fuzzy as if the graphic card cannot refresh it. I need to close it and reopen it. Same thing happen when a scroll up or down. In addition, i'm stuck at 1024x768, even if I add the 2 line from your guide with something different such as 1600x1200x32.

You guys have been great in helping me so far. Hopefully you have suggestion to fix the graphic. Thanks

clamoure

I haven't tested everything but here is the status: Sound and network is working fine. I just have some issues wit the video card. When a move a window on the desktop, It gets all fuzzy as if the graphic card cannot refresh it. I need to close it and reopen it. Same thing happen when a scroll up or down. In addition, i'm stuck at 1024x768, even if I add the 2 line from your guide with something different such as 1600x1200x32.

Well done for getting it up and running ;)

For the video I guess you need to double check your EFI string you added to com.apple.Boot.plist.

If you load System Profiler, then look at the Graphics/Displays section under Hardware, you will see a couple of settings, one is Core Image and the other is Quartz Extreme. When you have the video working properly, these will read Hardware Accelerated and Supported.

What video card are you using?

Hello blackos,

My system configuration is as fallows:

GA-EP45-DS3LR

Intel Core 2 duo E8500

ATI Radeon HD4870

I have tried to install Leopard according your guide "GA-EP45-DS3L_Vanilla_Install_Guide V2.3", with a OS X retail DVD, but I had two problems:

1- While installing Mac OS X from terminal using "open OSInstall.mpkg" command, I get a "open" unknown command error, so I have installed leopard directly using the leopard installation interface.

2- After booting with your boot CD and choosing Macintosh partition, Leopard started without the intro and asked for the country, then the keyboard, then if I want to transfer a pervious account. After checking "not now" and next, it returned to the asking country screen. (I have tried few times getting the same return back effect)

I am using a purchased retail Leopard DVD 10.5.4 and I have configured main-board bios settings accordingly.

Do you have any suggestion, any help will be welcome

Hi karga

I'm sorry, but I have no idea why your system is caught in a loop.

As for the terminal commands to install the retail DVD from another install..

cd "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages"

open OSInstall.mpkg

should work perfectly well.

Does anybody else have any ideas here?

Hi blackosx,

Thank you very much for your quick replay.

Meanwhile I was desperately retrying and it worked :-)

I have updated to 10.5.7 and I am actually following your guide to configure Chameleon :

As I did not find my ATI HD 4870 listed in EFIStudio I am googling to find out a way to make it work.

If I find a solution, I will share it here for those who might have the same graphic card.

Thank you very much again for this great guide

hey blackosx.

your guide for dsdt is working for me perfectly!

i have a running 10.5.8 now with working sleep.

everything seems fine. but sleep needs powerbutton. i will try efi partition for chameleon and report again.

your guide for dsdt is working for me perfectly!....

i have a running 10.5.8 now with working sleep.....

everything seems fine. but sleep needs powerbutton. i will try efi partition for chameleon and report again.

Great, Welcome aboard! :P

As for the powerbutton... same for me, but no real hardship... Well done.

1- While installing Mac OS X from terminal using "open OSInstall.mpkg" command, I get a "open" unknown command error, so I have installed leopard directly using the leopard installation interface.

That suggests the open binary isn't installed on your install dvd - or you did something wrong. Bizarre. Did you apply the 10.5.7 update and follow the rest of the guide before trying to boot into osx?

Great, Welcome aboard! :thumbsup_anim:

As for the powerbutton... same for me, but no real hardship... Well done.

you can't sleep from a menu? does that mean auto sleep is not fixed by this?

* has just compiled a DSDT.aml and is about to try it *

you can't sleep from a menu? does that mean auto sleep is not fixed by this?

* has just compiled a DSDT.aml and is about to try it *

Sorry I read that wrong. Yes I can sleep from the menu, I meant I have to wake from sleep with the power button. And auto sleep does work.

Fingers crossed for your DSDT.aml working :thumbsup_anim: