Snow Leopard on VAIO P(VGN-P90HS) working!

ryuu123

530 posts in this topic

allanm9:

I heard that 10.6.2 doesn't support Atom and that keep me at 10.6.1. I think you might just confirmed it. :wacko:

Anyone can confirm this??

thangbinh:

Did you follow fr3z3rburn's short tutorial on posst #209?? If not, strongly recommend you to do that. I followed it (except Step 4) and got SL installed on my Vaio P yesterday. According to ryu123 post #196, his patch to boot is accepted by chameleon team since Chameleon 2 RC 2. So, it is not necessary to manually replace boot file anymore. You will download Chameleon 2 RC3 in Step 2. Besides, you will also get all other needed file on Step 3.

ryu123:

You are the MAN!!! :wacko:

@allanm9

@macpsp

10.6.2 vanilla kernel doesn't boot.

You can find patched kernel some where.

and I wote small utility to make patched kernel.

1)Before update to 10.6.2, backup current kernel.

sudo cp -p /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.1061

2)update to 10.6.2

3)after reboot. specify the kernel at chameleon's screen

(At os select screen, type mach_kernel.1061)

4)make patched kernel

sudo ./binchg.rb /mach_kernel ./1062atom64.xml

(this take some minitue)

5)replace kernel

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.1062

sudo mv /mach_kernel.patched /mach_kernel

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

6)enjoy 10.6.2!

1062atom64.zip

@thangbinh

Not an expert here, but you can do -v in the chameleon's screen to see what went wrong during booting process. That would be a good place to start. Post any error you saw and someone might be able to point you to the right direction. ;)

@ryuu123, other development minded peeps

big props on trying to tackle the GMA500 driver. I'm not a developer, but after spending a bunch of hours googling looking for a work around, and here's at least one thing to consider:

1) They're a number of netbooks (including the Acer AspireOne 751h) have an odd (non-VESA resolution) for their LCD, 1366x768. There's a workaround for this (915resolution) under Debian and Ubunti, which hacks the video BIOS in RAM, replacing an unused default mode with the "odd" one. There was recently a version patched to work with the GMA500 -- could this be of any use for the VESA framebuffer work done with PCIFix.kext and its descendants?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=543917

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2009/08/msg00022.html

2) I know Intel distributes some driver configuration software for the U15SW (which has a number of things I'm working on understanding) -- according to the software, it will build EFI drivers, VBIOS drivers (images?), Linux, DOS, and Windows drivers. Would any of the things built by this package be of use? (Besides the Linux driver, which I'm sure will be well-mined for compatible sections of code).

http://edc.intel.com/Software/Downloads/IEGD/

Just some thoughts, hope something helps and I'll definitely be will to compile and test... would love to have something besides XP on this Acer.

@thangbinh

I don't know where you fail.

If you want to get, you should explain where you fail.

At least, you should post boot message, boot with

boot option -v

@macpsp

US keyboard kext is normal VoodooPS2. nothing is changed.

so you should complain to VoodooPS2 team.

@butletsbeserious

I know the "915resolution".but we get 1600x768 resolution with VESA bios,

so we don't need to use 915resolution.

and What we need is in the linux kernel mode driver.

I commented the some hints in IOGMA500Framebuffer skeleton driver source.

I don't see the movie on vaio p, so I will not implement any more.

I don't have the motivation.

I'm willing to someone implement the driver! not me.

@allanm9

@macpsp

10.6.2 vanilla kernel doesn't boot.

You can find patched kernel some where.

and I wote small utility to make patched kernel.

1)Before update to 10.6.2, backup current kernel.

sudo cp -p /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.1061

2)update to 10.6.2

3)after reboot. specify the kernel at chameleon's screen

(At os select screen, type mach_kernel.1061)

4)make patched kernel

sudo ./binchg.rb /mach_kernel ./1062atom64.xml

(this take some minitue)

5)replace kernel

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.1062

sudo mv /mach_kernel.patched /mach_kernel

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

6)enjoy 10.6.2!

1062atom64.zip

When i follow step 4 making patch i get 0x000286c0 hit -> cpumodel is always 0x1e x86_64 has this finished running?

when i try to move the patched file it says it cannot be found so i assume it didnt complete.

any ideas what im doing wrong?

Thanks all

Just got my key fixed!! Right now the ~ and ` are correct. Apparently, the problem was the current kext assumes keyboard to be 102 which is not correct and should be 101. The new VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext is attached. With this updated kext, there is now an option to change and detect your keyboard type in the Keyboard Pane in System Preferences. :)

To update your current VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext (assume you are in the directory containing the new VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext):

sudo rm -rf /Extra/Extensions1/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/

sudo cp -R VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext /Extra/Extensions1/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

sudo /Extra/extra.sh

Then, reboot and enjoy.

PS, The credit goes to trip2me from Voodoo Forum for this update. For anyone interested and wants more details, you can head to http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,304.0.html. :P

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext.zip

is there any chance to get this done without a mac ??

i've tried to install sl with 2 usb pendrives - but the only result i get, is a blinking cursor

edit:

nothing new - still wont work

when i use transmac - it (kinda) works - but i stuck at the part when copying the files to the drive with the sl dvd files

looks like transmac isn't able to write to the hidden system folder

arrghhh - maybe i'm to stupid for that

when i use the vaio..tar.bz files - it won't boot at all, when i use the img from one of mechdrew's guides - the pendrive boots - but stops with a "mach_kernel not found" message (even if the kernel is on the other pendrive which contains the sl dvd)

me again :)

when i use the files from this thread - it won't boot

with the untouched mechdrew's files - it - will almost boot - after i choose the sl dvd (usb pendrive) - the screen changes resolution and that's it - i can see some "rotation" within that half screen stuff...

Hello.

I was try this on my Asus 1101ha it same chipset and cpu with Vaio P, but it not works.

Here the log while i use -v.

I was success install SL on my PC (Core i7, X58 chipset), and my Laptop G50-a2 so i really want it work on my Netbook.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks.

Sorry about my bad english. :rolleyes:

post-297695-1258907813_thumb.jpg

post-297695-1258907822_thumb.jpg