Chameleon 2.0RC1 is out!

Konami®

104 posts in this topic

Ubuntu 8.10 shows up (on a different drive), as well as Windows 7 (also on different drive). Also my backup drive shows up, maybe they could only add drives that are bootable?

I have Mac OS X on my master HD, Ubuntu 8.10 on my slave HD, and an NTFS storage drive attached via USB. My Mac OS X drive has two GUID partitions, one for the main system, and the other for iPC X-DL. When I boot, it detects "Macintosh HD", "iPC X-DL", and "Media Drive", which are HFS+. HFS+ and NTFS respectively.

It does not see the Ubunu 8.10 drive at all. Is there anything I can do to solve this? Even reinstalling Ubuntu?

Hi,

Everything runs fine here. ( GUID disk, dualboot XP/OSX)

Thanks for this news release.

Also, I made theme alternative theme, more in the "bootcamp way".

I attach it here. (just replace "default" theme from Extra with this one.)

EDIT: Just added a border on the chameleon, use this png if you want.

EDIT2: i've opened a thread for user's themes.

Mine is there now.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159974

Hi,

Everything runs fine here. Thanks for this news release.

Also, I made theme alternative theme, more in the "bootcamp" way.

I attach it here. (just replace "default" theme from Extra with this one.)

hi sonotone, any plans on incorporating that into your retail installer for Dell Inspirons?

thanks

I'm running iPC 10.5.6 installed on GPT with Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and PCEFI9 Chameleon 10.0.12. It's the only OS on the drive.

I drop the themes folder in /extra and install the bootloader (following three steps in the readme, making sure to use the right diskXsY).

Instant reboot. I've tried three times now to make sure I didn't type anything wrong, also tried with a DSDT.aml without graphics and LAN fix and it does the same thing.

Something about GUID flashes by before it reboots. I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly..

Any ideas?

Asus P5Q-E, Pentium 4 651, ICH10R in AHCI mode (IDE mode doesn't work either)

(I've restored 1.0.12 and can boot normally again)

Edit

I installed Chameleon on my USB stick (I formatted it as GPT) and it runs and shows the menu. But when I choose my OSx86 partition it reboots, just like when it's installed on the HD. It can load Vista (it's on a separate drive) just fine.

Edit fixed

Removed old "boot" file from root and removed refresh rate from graphics boot flag in com.apple.boot.plist before installing.

Fully working.

I followed this to get Leopard booting on my Hac, I take it I just wipe the Macloader partiton and install the new bootloader on it? Will download now, will take ages on this slow connection.. grr

No, you don't need to wipe the partition. I just updated my MacLoader partition with the new Chameleon and it works wonders. The readme inside the Chameleon folder has all that you need to know. Follow it and you should be done. However, on the last step instead of doing as it tells you to you should use this command instead:

sudo cp boot /Volumes/MacLoader

That should copy the boot file to the root of MacLoader. Once done copy the "Themes" folder from the Chameleon Extra folder over to MacLoader's Extra folder.

Reboot and Enjoy!

i can't believe there's only 2 pages of posts about this! lol. got it working on the EFI partition. it's beautiful. i'm so glad there's finally an attractive and simple way of booting multiple OS's. been waiting for this for a long time.

How can I get my inserted CDROM recognized by the boot loader? What is that "cdboot" file in i386 folder?

i second that. and does anyone know how to use the default boot logo on the grey apple screen. my first thought is to just remove the png from the theme folder. correct??

How can I get my inserted CDROM recognized by the boot loader? What is that "cdboot" file in i386 folder?

cdboot is so you can make a bootable cd for a retail dvd.

"With this feature you can create 'boot-132' like bootable iso images without having to use isolinux and that complex method to create such boot CDs. Just simply create a folder, put the cdboot + your Extra stuff + a Preboot.dmg inside with your Extra extensions, then use a single line hdiutil command to create your boot CD." from chameleon website

then just burn that stuff to a cd

better to make mbr partition, less problems with usb stick.

The same usb flash boot fine on my HP laptop ...

Gigabyte P35DS3P bios v.11 Q6600@3.6Ghz Nvidia 8600 GT 256MB .. and when i formated my usb MBR don`t help continue too boot on my HP laptop , but not work on my mobo.

With this feature you can create ‘boot-132’ like bootable iso images without having to use isolinux and that complex method to create such boot CDs. Just simply create a folder, put the cdboot + your Extra stuff + a Preboot.dmg inside with your Extra extensions, then use a single line hdiutil command to create your boot CD.

To able to boot retail DVDs you still have to boot from this prepared CD then swap to the retail one. A built-in ATAPI driver would help in the future, but not for now. The ramdisk image should be an uncompressed single partition image using any partition scheme what the booter has support for (MBR, GUID or APM).

This is cool, but I'm not smart enough to figure out the rest by myself.

Can I make a working Preboot.dmg with hdiutil -srcfolder nameoffolder?

What about the name of the volume inside Preboot.dmg, should it be preboot or can I call it Doris if I want to?

It's not crystal clear if the Preboot.dmg goes in the extra folder or in root?

Anf finally, what's the proper hdiutil command to make the ISO bootable?

hdiutil makehybrid -o boot.iso path-to-folder-with-stuff/ -iso -eltorito-boot path-to-folder-with-stuff/cdboot -no-emul-boot

results in an unbootable .iso (tested in Parallels) and 'man hdiutil' doesn't help me...

/EDIT

Sonotone has posted a guide here (thanks!):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=160234

in the smbios.plist, set the SMmaximalclock to 1600

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>

<key>SMmanufacter</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro3,1</string>

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>WWW234JHYA4</string>

<key>SMexternalclock</key>

<string>333</string>

<key>SMmaximalclock</key>

<string>1600</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>19</string>

<key>SMmemspeed</key>

<string>800</string>

<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>

edit: Found this on the forum to do the unknow issue

SticMac.

How do I fix the 3.0 ghz problem? I have an SMBiosEFI.kext so I'm pretty sure I can't use the patched SMBIOS kext. Should I use that instead?

thanks

SticMAC™, is there any way to change processor information through the smbios.plist? I have an Intel Atom in my nettop and it is seen as "unknown" because obviously the Atom isn't in the Apple hardware database... just a thought...