17" MacBook Pro

21 posts in this topic

That thing honestly doesn't sound worth an extra $1000...

here's the news story:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04/24/macbook/index.php

Apple on Monday introduced the 17-inch version of its Intel-powered MacBook Pro. The new laptop computer will start shipping next week for $2,799.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro features a 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo processor. It has a 667MHz front side bus (FSB) and 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 2GB.

Like the 15-inch MacBook Pro, the 17-inch model features a built-in iSight video camera and Apple’s vaunted MagSafe Power Adapter, which disconnects from the notebook when there is strain on the power cord. It also includes Apple’s Sudden Motion Sensor, which protects the hard drive in case the laptop is dropped.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro features a display that’s 36 percent brighter than before — 300 cd/m2 brightness, according to Apple. It uses ATI’s Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics chip with 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 graphics memory. The laptop also includes an illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor.

The MacBook Pro weighs 6.8 pounds and is one inch tall when the screen is closed. Apple claims the MacBook Pro is up to five times as fast as its PowerBook G4 predecessor, and uses RAM that’s twice as fast as the PowerBook G4.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro touts a Scrolling Trackpad, FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 ports, three USB 2.0 ports, optical and digital audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, ExpressCard/34 expansion slot, dual-link Digital Visual Interface (DVI) for connecting an external monitor (including Apple’s 30-inch Cinema HD Display), built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) and integrated AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps wireless networking.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro comes with iLife ‘06 and the latest version of Tiger.

The $2,799 laptop comes with 1GB of RAM, 120GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive and 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support. Additional build-to-order options include 100GB hard drive, up to 2GB RAM, Apple USB modem and AppleCare.

i would like them try to shoehorn an x1800 xl into there :( although they might be able to fit a 7800 go in there (the dell e1705 has it). yes i know the e1705 is thicker than the mbp (about 1.5 inches) but the aluminum chassis means more heat dissipation (more on your lap as well :dev:). ofcourse the x1600 (even if the mbp version is underclocked) is more than enough for most people but the added graphics power might attract more buyers, who knows?

for 99 percent of the target market, x1600 is more than enough. Apple is not trying to build a gaming computer. Having a higher end graphics card will fry the machine and significantly reduce the battery life.

yes, I believe ive stated that but it wouldnt hurt if they had it as an extra option. also, just because you have a powerful graphics card does not mean you will use it for gaming. do people get a mobile quadro card to game? i didnt think so...

Anyone who buys a laptop for gaming has some serious issues anyway.

Why is buying a laptop to play games and do work an issue? what if you dont have the money to get a desktop and a laptop and you want a desktop replacement? do these people have issues as well?

p.s. i never suggested one should buy a laptop for gaming.

That thing honestly doesn't sound worth an extra $1000...

actually you got it around the wrong way

the 15" is not worth it compared to the 17"

I have read a few articles stating that if you pump up the speed and a few other options on the 15" the 17" is way better value and very close to the same price.

Thats ignoring the extra screen realistate the 800 firewire and the dual layer drive and i think it has a bigger hard drive doesnt it ?

anyway there is a few people writing articles moaning about how they bought a 15" and now feel ripped off..

Too much moaning i reckon

actually you got it around the wrong way

the 15" is not worth it compared to the 17"

I have read a few articles stating that if you pump up the speed and a few other options on the 15" the 17" is way better value and very close to the same price.

Thats ignoring the extra screen realistate the 800 firewire and the dual layer drive and i think it has a bigger hard drive doesnt it ?

anyway there is a few people writing articles moaning about how they bought a 15" and now feel ripped off..

Too much moaning i reckon

you know whats interesting? i customized a 15inch mbp with a core duo 2.16/512x2mb/100gb 7200rpm and it came out to be more than the 17 inch mbp. i guess that since the 15 inch is a smaller chassis, you pay more money to have a more compact laptop with less features (no fw 800, dl-dvd burner etc.)

you know whats interesting? i customized a 15inch mbp with a core duo 2.16/512x2mb/100gb 7200rpm and it came out to be more than the 17 inch mbp. i guess that since the 15 inch is a smaller chassis, you pay more money to have a more compact laptop with less features (no fw 800, dl-dvd burner etc.)

now to alot of people thats something to get annoyed out. But that happens all the time in the Computer or electronics industry. You buy it and next week it is bigger brighter cheaper and faster . It's a fact of life so we all need to get over it or it drives you nuts.

I suppose there is one way to fix peoples complaints.

Stop improving and adding new features or chips then we would all be on the same playing level for the rest of our days.. progress ... ahh you gotta love it... and hate it..

now to alot of people thats something to get annoyed out. But that happens all the time in the Computer or electronics industry. You buy it and next week it is bigger brighter cheaper and faster . It's a fact of life so we all need to get over it or it drives you nuts.

I suppose there is one way to fix peoples complaints.

Stop improving and adding new features or chips then we would all be on the same playing level for the rest of our days.. progress ... ahh you gotta love it... and hate it..

well most people dont buy a piece of hardware at release.. its best to wait a few months to see what else the company will roll out with (and hardware revisions too for the explodebook pro :angry:). as opposed to buying a 17 inch model just to get the dl-dvd and fw800, id like to see them add those features to the 15 inch mbp. i like a smaller screen as opposed to a larger one but right now, id probably grab a 17 inch just because of the increased value.

I personally don't like the 17" version. If I took it on an airplane I would have to use two tray tables. I'll stick with the 15" model. Isn't it hard to carry that big thing arround with you when you travel? I know that they have that nice big, bright screen and everything, but it's just too big for me. Also, with the bigger and brighter screen, the battery must last only an hour. I need battery life in a laptop. I'd rather take my G3 iBook with 6 hours of battery life than a fancy Macbook Pro with only an hour.

IMO, 15" has the perfect mix of screen size and portability. It weighs less than 6 lbs, fits in my backpack (i doubt the 17" will fit as nicely) and the screen is big enough for day to day activities. If I want a bigger screen, i would just invest in a 24" Dell display or something. I do wish the 15" macbook had an 8x dual layer DVD burner and more USB ports though.

even though id like a smaller screen (17 inches is a bit too big) id still take the 17 inch model because the 15 inch goes back a step in some ways from the pbook g4 15 inch. while it is "4-5x" faster on BENCHMARKS (I STRESS BENCHMARKS), it lacks a firewire 800 port and a dual layer burner. even the 12 inch pb has a dual layer 8x burner! why cant the mbp? while the lack of a fw 800 port and a dl burner might not affect most users much, why pay more money for an inferior product? speed is not the only the thing, functionality is important aswell. grab a 17 inch mbp instead!

IMO, 15" has the perfect mix of screen size and portability. It weighs less than 6 lbs, fits in my backpack (i doubt the 17" will fit as nicely) and the screen is big enough for day to day activities. If I want a bigger screen, i would just invest in a 24" Dell display or something. I do wish the 15" macbook had an 8x dual layer DVD burner and more USB ports though.

the dvd drive is too think. in the 15" it overhangs the keyboard in the 17" it doesnt.

thats the issue