ALC655 + VIA8237R stereo fix

pattjin

162 posts in this topic

Here's a new AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext so you can get stereo out of a VIA 8237R + ALC655 (I don't think the codec part matters as much as the controller)

Should work with any VIA 82xx chipset.

Hooray!

i have done as you say,but it said can't generate the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext , what's wrong, help me !!!!!!!

Yes... This drive dont wonk in Jas, and cause software to not work with sound at all...

Anyone have any driver that work in Jas with Singler channel??? Plz need this until Jas make another driver

Simply install JaS 10.4.6 DVD and add in the AC97 kernel the plugin...

Runs great, no probs.

Rgds.

Didnt work for me at first (JaS 10.4.6) but after using oldschool's plugins folder advice it works great! This is on a Shuttle AMD system with a VIA K8M800 Motherboard, Realtek ALC650 sound. Both channels work great now! Thanks!

Heh, guess that makes me have a perfect system! :D

Bit of help for everyone trying this:

I firstly tried the entire kext, no luck.

Secondly, I tried just the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext, no luck.

Lastly, I tried the solution pattjin suggested with copying the file AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA and it worked!

Let me give you a command rundown:

sudo -s 
cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS
mv AppleAC97AudioVIA /root
mv /Users/[USERNAME]/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA .
chmod -R 755 .
chown -R root:wheel .
exit
reboot

PLEASE NOTE: The folder which the new file is stored in may not necessarily be /Users/[uSERNAME]/..... etc. Change this to where you downloaded the kext in this post to. Oh, and don't forget to decompress it if Safari didn't do that for you already! ;) Can't copy anything from a zipped kext :P

That's it! Hopefully this clarify things a little. Rock on! :hysterical:

I was able to install the kext as is and it worked fine but sound when I start a song in iTunes is jumpy then plays normal.. any ideas on what that might be?

ok I figured it out.. the SPDIF works GREAT!!! but only prob is.. No Volume control.. I use the AppleKeyboard for my volume control is there anything I can change fer this to work?

actually I found if I use the other output not SPDIF I had volume but the begining of all audio that play is garbaled so I put it on SPDIF and sound was AWESOME.. BUT.... I wanted me volume bar back and good sound and my keyboard volume buttons to work so for now till i get it going I switched back to CMI8738 until I can fix this..

well with my CMI Audio card I do. With this card I can if I use the other output instead of the SPDIF but the begining of mp3's and alerts are muffled and annoying. but with SPDIF as my output it works great just no Volume bar... CMI8738 works flawlessly but no inputs only my sound out.. would be nice to have my onboard working flawless.. this is a lot closer than I had before.. with original 10.4.6 kext i had stereo but it was all bass no treble so ya couldn't hear it.. Someone please help I would love full support with volume bar on my onboard..

I did what chrisaw did and my audio works perfect. Volume slider every thing, that too through normal Line-OUT. SWEEEEEEEEET.

Thanks a lot guys.

BTW I have a JaS 10.4.6 DVD Install.

Hm....I have an Asus A8V deluxe and the sound files I tried copying didn't work comes up with an error message, that plus with the marvel network drivers...

Mac OSX 10.4.3 - if that matters much

MSN - DD_nVidia@hotmail.co.uk (thats msn and email)

If anyone else wants to help me (like instead of using forums) I can use any IM or VOIP app you want, I am slightly desperate to get this working before monday.

Fully working on 10.4.6 HOTiSO with

aBit AV8 3rd-Eye VIA K8T800

One problem though. The sound comes out at too high of a pitch. Listening to music is a mix between the music and the chipmunks. The same thing happened when it was mono BTW. But at least now its in stereo.

anyone got a fix for that ?

I used the medthod of inserting the updated AppleAC97AudioVIA into the kext.

FIX IT !

Yes. This driver is 100% working for Stereo Output only.

Input Not tested.

5.1 and 6 channel not available. Stereo Only.

The fix for the first few seconds studdering/too high pitched is:

Audio Midi Setup app in utilities

Change the "properties For" dropdown to the second instance of AC97 Audio (PCM) (there are two of them)

Then on the bottom right change the Format to 48000.0 Hz

Playback is sweet now.

This may already be posted somewhere. But I didnt find it. And I just happened upon this fix, so I am posting it.

enjoy

eric

I'm getting....

"sudo kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext16IOAC97AudioCodec is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension AppleAC97Audio.kext

load failed for extension AppleAC97Audio.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)"

What's wrong with it? I have set permissions and chown'ed it.

Use this method, posted by chrisaw

Heh, guess that makes me have a perfect system! biggrin.gif

Bit of help for everyone trying this:

I firstly tried the entire kext, no luck.

Secondly, I tried just the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext, no luck.

Lastly, I tried the solution pattjin suggested with copying the file AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA and it worked!

Let me give you a command rundown:

CODE

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS

mv AppleAC97AudioVIA /root

mv /Users/[uSERNAME]/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA .

chmod -R 755 .

chown -R root:wheel .

exit

reboot

PLEASE NOTE: The folder which the new file is stored in may not necessarily be /Users/[uSERNAME]/..... etc. Change this to where you downloaded the kext in this post to. Oh, and don't forget to decompress it if Safari didn't do that for you already! wink_anim.gif Can't copy anything from a zipped kext tongue.gif

That's it! Hopefully this clarify things a little. Rock on!