ALC655 + VIA8237R stereo fix

pattjin

162 posts in this topic

Hey,

i keep getting the error not authentic (check ownership and permissions). no matter what, someone

please help, i really want sound even if its only the left channel!.

or if you could recamend the cheapest pci sound card that would work (like under 20,preferably closer to $15 (canadian)

Edit: if it would be possible could some one send me the original kext ac97 file that came with jas 10.4.8? my email s iamcanadian2010 [AT] gmail [DOT] com

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the stereo fixed file, incase the one on the first page dont work.

You can also make one yourself, following the instructions posted earlier

Worked for me a treat !

just replaced the whole dir, did the chmod/chown, rebooted and JOY!

THANK-YOU!!!

System spec :

BIOSTAR - ideq - P4VBU-S7 A - VIA P4M800 / VT8237R (ALC655)

Installed from MacOSX-10.4.8 jaS iso

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

btw one reason why the driver doesn't work is that onboard-sound in bios is disabled or auto is selected. if auto is selected, every pci-soundcard disables onboard-sound. in my case, i had to remove the pci-card and it works without any further installation efforts. (my pci-card is quite exotic in hope to get a driver for osx86)

gl

chucklean

• 4 weeks later...

As many of us have not only this onboard audio device but also a pci device and in almost every case the pci is better ... I'm trying to develop a patch to activate the onboard audio device even in the present of a pci sound card.

Unfortunately I don't have experience developing drivers but I do have the solution for the problem already.

If anyone involved in this project want to help ... or maybe guide me in the process of developing the driver I would be glad.

See, I'm not asking for a ready to go product and I know how hard you work for this comunity , so I just wanna do my part as well.

Thanks,

Gabriel Simões

pms and e-mails to: gabrielsgs@hotmail.com

Heh, guess that makes me have a perfect system! :D

Bit of help for everyone trying this:

I firstly tried the entire kext, no luck.

Secondly, I tried just the AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext, no luck.

Lastly, I tried the solution pattjin suggested with copying the file AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA and it worked!

Let me give you a command rundown:

sudo -s 
  cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS
  mv AppleAC97AudioVIA /root
  mv /Users/[USERNAME]/Desktop/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA .
  chmod -R 755 .
  chown -R root:wheel .
  exit
  reboot

PLEASE NOTE: The folder which the new file is stored in may not necessarily be /Users/[uSERNAME]/..... etc. Change this to where you downloaded the kext in this post to. Oh, and don't forget to decompress it if Safari didn't do that for you already! ;) Can't copy anything from a zipped kext :P

That's it! Hopefully this clarify things a little. Rock on! :wacko:

This is exactly my experience. Full kext didn't work but these steps work great! Keep up the great help everyone. AAAAH! Stereo!

3Ghz P4

Biostar P4M80-M4 Board

P4M800 Northbridge

VT8237R Southbridge

ALC655 OnBoard Sound (now Stereo!)

ATI 9600 Pro (now QE and CI but still no AGP)

256 DDR 333mhz

10.4.9 Uphuck 1.4 Intel installer

Craig

Copy and paste the new file to /System/Library/Extensions/. Choose authenticate in the dialog and enter your password. Replace the file.

Thanks! I followed your instructions, and now my audio is working perfectly. Currently dual-booting TinyXP and OSX86, and when I get my new hard drive (160 GB) and video card (256 MB), I will be triple-booting those along with Ubuntu 7.04.

i am newbie user in that mac thing.

i have mainboard chipset of ASUS A8V-MX , sound chipset of ALC 653;

to get the sounds from system i tried yours link ;

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=178419

and the stereo fix;

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=99867

i got the errors of that now;

picturesie7.jpg

would you help me;

and please step by step.

thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
i am newbie user in that mac thing.i have mainboard chipset of ASUS A8V-MX , sound chipset of ALC 653;to get the sounds from system i tried yours link ;http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=178419and the stereo fix;http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=99867i got the errors of that now;picturesie7.jpgwould you help me;and please step by step.thanks for your help.
Hi mustafa, I think you just have to change permissions and owner.

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

If this is still not working, it's beacuse this driver is not good for your system version. Maybe too old or too new.You have to take a driver for your kernel because some dependencies are requiered to run this driver.

Hi.Someone get 5.1 working on via?Tanx...
5.1, I don't know. But I have stereo.

Hi, I'm a total noob to macs and appear to have a strange problem.

In the terminal I can't access my system folder to load the kext. I seem to be stuck in the home folder - my prompt says root but all I can see are my desktop, documents, library, movies, etc. folders/ ;)

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't Get it to work, i draged the Kext intot he System/extensions folder, replaced the one that was already there but i still don't have audio!! could somebody please send me help in the form of as PM?? if iget audio working i can permanatly convert to OS x86!I can't Get it to work, i draged the Kext intot he System/extensions folder, replaced the one that was already there but i still don't have audio!! could somebody please send me help in the form of as PM?? if iget audio working i can permanatly convert to OS x86!BTW, i have JaS 10.4.8. and AC97 Audio, on a PCChips K8 MOBO...

I can't Get it to work, i draged the Kext intot he System/extensions folder, replaced the one that was already there but i still don't have audio!! could somebody please send me help in the form of as PM?? if iget audio working i can permanatly convert to OS x86!I can't Get it to work, i draged the Kext intot he System/extensions folder, replaced the one that was already there but i still don't have audio!! could somebody please send me help in the form of as PM?? if iget audio working i can permanatly convert to OS x86!BTW, i have JaS 10.4.8. and AC97 Audio, on a PCChips K8 MOBO...

Did you changed rights and permissions like as I described before?

If no, then you'll have to deal with audio and MIDI setup application.

• 1 month later...

This just works perfectly. I had the mono-left-channel problem with an AsRock P4VM800 Motherboard. I installed the replacement kext over the one from JaS 10.4.8. I have only tested line-out.

• 2 months later...

It worked for me on 10.5.2 Kallaway. I used User: Proteo 's instructions on the first page. Worked like a charm! Thanks to all!!

My system pref. works but in system profiler it still says no built in audio... which is no problem.