ALC655 + VIA8237R stereo fix

pattjin

162 posts in this topic

well my install uses all the frameworks from 10.4.6 so it seems the user compiled this under myzars v3 10.4.6 update and it used some of the older frameworks.myzars ppf4 uses the 10.4.6 frameworks also.if he would send me the source I would compile it so it works on this version 10.4.6,too bad i didn't use the old frameworks heh ... lol

It was built under 10.4.4, Xcode 2.2.1 from AppleAC97Audio-5 sources under 10.4.4 ppc (the code hasn't changed between 10.4.4, 10.4.5, 10.4.6)

I've given the source to JaS so he can build it for later versions.

You could try just copying the file AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAC97AudioVIA, since that's really the only part that changed.

Of course, make it root:wheel, and all the permissions and stuff like that.

yes, i do it and now work well ;)

many many thanks!

From a clean install o 10.4.6 before this i have mono sound, after i have a error refered a the extension not loaded..well at this time no sound.

How can i revert to the initial file (where is located in the iso?). Thanks

Edit : This version of the driver is incompatible on a clean 10.4.6 install, doing an upgrade from 10.4.5 and installing it seems to work.

I have used PACIFIST to return back to the mono state, i will wait a 10.4.6 compiled version.

Thanks

Have you tried doing chown and repair permissions and everything? That might have something to do with it...

Copy and paste the new file to /System/Library/Extensions/. Choose authenticate in the dialog and enter your password. Replace the file.

Then open Terminal and type:

sudo -s

(enter your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

(no problem if one or both files don't exist)

chown -R root:wheel *.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

(exit terminal)

Applications > Disk Utility > select your volume and repair permissions

Quit and reboot.

That's exactly what i did and it worked like a charm.

20AppleAC97AudioEngine is not compatible with its superclass, 13IOAudioEngine superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/

this is in 10.4.6 so it seems this was compiled on a earlier build,too bad i was getting happy about stereo on this box

Hey JaS, I've got the same problem, did you solved it???

Thanks

Here's a new AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext so you can get stereo out of a VIA 8237R + ALC655 (I don't think the codec part matters as much as the controller)

Should work with any VIA 82xx chipset.

Hooray!

It works on my KV2-lite mother board (AMD X2), now I have both speakers working.

Thanks alot for this great work.

Cougar

I hope JaS is working on this.. since i have left channel only by default... and that driver causes the sound to not work at all in 10.4.6 JaS!

me too. though he seems quite busy working with omni on the ATI drivers. still, once i have those and stereo, my laptop will be nearly perfect! woohoo!

I got this working. I couldnt figure it out because my audio appeared to be functioning (I could change the volume and everything) but it wouldnt work. I then connected my front panel audio connectors and suddenly I had sound but even with this patch it was still only left channel while plugged into the motherboard. So then I tried plugging my speakers into the front audio port and it worked perfectly.

Thanks alot for this

:D:guitar::guitar: WOWWWW!

That worked perfectly!!!! You are one of my heroes! WOOOHOOO! stereo sound on my notebook! YEAHA

that's great news for you, but i have to ask - how? as far as i knew, we were all still waiting on JaS for a 10.4.6 recompile...

This kext worked for me and my Asus P5VD1-X. I now get stereo analog out my rear speakers, but the front speakers are using S/PDIF which still doesn't work.

Strangely, in Sound control panel, if I set Line out AC 97 (PCM), I get playback too fast. But if I select SPDIF Out, I still get analog only, but playback is normal speed.

I hope JaS is working on this.. since i have left channel only by default... and that driver causes the sound to not work at all in 10.4.6 JaS!

Simply install JaS 10.4.6 DVD and add in the AC97 kernel the plugin...

Runs great, no probs.

Rgds.

can you send me the updated source, I am working on the driver for the ATI SB400 sound and i figure that this code would be good to post in a fully compiled kext that should support all the AC97 sounds that aren't supported in the Azalia stuff. Thanks.