[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

same here. I never used Ethernet since - I can't remember... All wireless

I see that you have a working e1505 with snow leopard. Everything's working for me except the wifi, which is driving me crazy. I have a Dell 1390 card, which worked perfectly until I upgraded to Snow, and now I get self assigned ip addresses when connecting to a wep network. I can connect to an open network without problems, and ethernet works fine, but I can't even manually input address info into the networking system preference.

Have you seen this issue in snow? Is there a fix? I have a Dell mini 9 with SL, and it's Wifi works perfectly on the same network.

I see that you have a working e1505 with snow leopard. Everything's working for me except the wifi, which is driving me crazy. I have a Dell 1390 card, which worked perfectly until I upgraded to Snow, and now I get self assigned ip addresses when connecting to a wep network. I can connect to an open network without problems, and ethernet works fine, but I can't even manually input address info into the networking system preference.

Have you seen this issue in snow? Is there a fix? I have a Dell mini 9 with SL, and it's Wifi works perfectly on the same network.

sorry, not sure what went wrong there. wireless always worked out of the box here. I suggest removing all ethernet devices under network, reboot and assign a new location with automatic set. you probably already did that.

good luck

In a rush, but just thought I'd finally get around to posting this, a month later...

Instructions:

1) Delete existing AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext files in /System/Library/Extensions

2) Mount image file and copy kext files into /System/Library/Extensions

3) Delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

4) Delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

5) Run Disk Utility and repair disk permissions

6) Copy 'Play Thru for SigmaTel 9200' to the folder of your choice and use as necessary in order to hear input device audio via speakers

Some quick caveats:

- Only designed for E1705/9400, aka Dell laptops with subwoofers.�

- Kext uses latest version of AppleHDA (early July update), so you must be running 10.4.10 for it to work. Users of 10.4.9 and below should not apply this kext.

- Subwoofer is now an independent device, so its volume is controlled separately, even if you don't hear it when it is selected in System Preferences. The trade-off with this is that you have to remember to mute both devices if you want silence, but the gain is that you will be able to modify subwoofer volume independently of the main front speakers.

- Headphone detection 'works'; headphone output does not. OS X insists on muting the mixer node (0b) entirely when a device is inserted, which goes against the Intel HD Audio 1.0 spec's exception for codecs with shared mixer nodes. However, Apple doesn't use any codecs in its current hardware lineups that have shared mixer nodes, so I don't expect them to make any attempt to support this portion of the HD Audio spec.

- For Play Thru for SigmaTel 9200 to work properly, the External Microphone device and both speaker devices must all have the same 'Format' settings in 'Audio MIDI Setup'. I've only tested it fully on 44.1kHz, 2 channel 16-bit output, since this is what the Dell specs are set at. If you have different bit-depth or sample frequency settings for separate devices, you WILL have problems with the output locking up after a few seconds.

Will write more later, but late for a Saturday night outing. Hope this works for all of you. I'll be back to check and see if there are any problems!��

Cheers,

-T.

The file that was uploaded with this post is missing (not downloading) and I really need it!!! please can someone send it to me or post it again? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi, try the voodoohda.kext there is a link and a tutorial in the stikies section of the guide.

You have to uninstall applehda and maybe another file then install the voodoo kext

You will find the kext at voodooprojects.

Hope it helps.

Raz

Edit: currently i have IPC installed as i found that the resolution in Iatkos v7 was too low is there any way to change it up to 1200x800 from 1024x768(as i may try it again as it gives me the option to update). it only shows the lower option unlike in IPC where it gives me various settings. Also i found the best way to install audio and touch pad was to use the Iatkos install disk to load the correct kexts.

I've been looking around but no joy yet. The problem with the GMA950 drivers that I know of is it doesn't support OpenCL. I am hopeful nonetheless. I wouldn't mind contributing to the making of the "VoodooGMA" kext but I don't know where to begin.

looks like Apple already took care of gma950 64bit. Read Netkas' news here

Hi, try the voodoohda.kext there is a link and a tutorial in the stikies section of the guide.

You have to uninstall applehda and maybe another file then install the voodoo kext

You will find the kext at voodooprojects.

Hope it helps.

Raz

Edit: currently i have IPC installed as i found that the resolution in Iatkos v7 was too low is there any way to change it up to 1200x800 from 1024x768(as i may try it again as it gives me the option to update). it only shows the lower option unlike in IPC where it gives me various settings. Also i found the best way to install audio and touch pad was to use the Iatkos install disk to load the correct kexts.

I have STAC9200 sound card and I need that other specific file because it can make my subwoofer work along the with the speakers :( But the link is dead for some reason. I tried it few weeks ago it was working. I deleted it. Thinking that the other one I had is going to make my headphone jack work seperately but it didn't. It just made my Subwoofer stop working :(

Let me know if you figure out a way to get that file from somewhere else please.

Thank you

Hey everyone, i'm a complete newbie to trying this, but so far i've tried to install SL onto my inspiron 9400 through chameleon 2 rc3.

It seems like every time i've tried so far i keep getting "IOUSBfamily is having trouble enumatering a usb device that has been plugged in"

and then it will repeatedly try to fail loading.

has anybody had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

For any people installing on UK keyboards, this worked perfect for me, even my "\" key works 100%. Use the Microsoft keyboards.bundle. This is IntelliType 7.1 for 32&64bit OSX (i.e. Snow)

heres the current link:-

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/3...esktop-d260.dmg

Then go to System Preferences, International, Input menu (after restart) and Select British - Microsoft - Job done.

Hello board!

new to the forum and osx86 here. used the many useful stickies and posts to get my Dell E1505 running on Kalyway 10.5.2. Got everything that is reported to be working.. working after a couple of installs. took a little bit to get used to the flow of things, but everything i needed .. i found it here. some good work here. i hope to make this my new home for all of my osx86 needs.

Only thing not working on my E1505 is the wireless, and i know there is no solution for that. So, waiting on the postman to bring me my DW1395 to solve that issue.

considering swapping out my atiX1400 video card for a nvidia 7300 Go. is that a good idea?

Well I have been searching the forums for a hour or so now and I cant seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew the fix for a few problems I have.

Dell Inspiron 1525 - Everything works but keyboard/touchpad

1. Is there a fix for the keyboard/touchpad? I haven't found anything yet and was wondering if anyone knew?

2. I have a weird issue with the video which I know other people have had, I can hook up another dislplay and switch the ouputs and then unplug the external monitor and then get the laptop screen to work. I did see this fix http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...ost&id=1522 Just was wondering if there was a better one.

*UPDATE*

Now I cant get the video to work at all with the external display, It just shows up with a bunch of blue and grey lines. I have the stock intel graphic's card.

Currently I'm trying the second one, iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal FINAL. I did do iATKOS but was having the video issue and then i ran into the second guide you have listed. I can now get it to startup and start the install, but then I get to a point where my screen just goes black. I then use a external dislpay and use the function key to switch it over and it gets to here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nutt318/40557...in/photostream/

Not sure what else to try.

Thanks,

Jake

Ok, not sure why but for some reason I can do the install by tricking my laptop. Here is what I did.

1. Laptop boots normal, I hit F8 when I see the prompt on my laptop display.

2. Hit the FN + F8 (moves display to external LCD monitor

3. Type -v then Enter to start the install. It does its thing on the external dislpay and when it gets to the blue screen it then switches my display back to my laptop screen. I then get the osx background, a few seconds later the welcome screen.

Going through the install now.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Ok, not sure why but for some reason I can do the install by tricking my laptop. Here is what I did.

1. Laptop boots normal, I hit F8 when I see the prompt on my laptop display.

2. Hit the FN + F8 (moves display to external LCD monitor

3. Type -v then Enter to start the install. It does its thing on the external dislpay and when it gets to the blue screen it then switches my display back to my laptop screen. I then get the osx background, a few seconds later the welcome screen.

Going through the install now.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

did you follow the guide on that link?

http://macyourpc.com/2009/03/10/dell-inspi...tosh-ipc-guide/

According to that, what you are experiencing is normal...:

4) Now that you’re done installing you can remove the disc and on the boot screen press “F8″ and type “-v -f” When the screen loads up it should just be a black screen, after this close the lid till you see the power light slowly “breathe” or pulse. When you open the lid you should be greeted with the Post-Install screen. Type all your info and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since I've tried OSX on my e1705/9400. I had Leopard working, but the stupid x1400 video had no solution at that time. It sounds like they are making some progress on it. I've tried searching EBay and such, but I can't find a NVidia card for a decent price. At $300+, I'd rather save up and buy a real Macbook.

Anyway, I installed Snow from a retail disk to an external USB HDD using Noob's ISO for 6400 laptops. It boots now, if I use the boot-132 CD. I need to install Chameleon to get it working directly. Graphics is working using VESA modes, as expected. Onboard LAN isn't detected, wireless is detected, but doesn't seem to be working right. It can't find my network and typing the info in manually doesn't work. It shows as a "third party card" in system profiler. Bluetooth looks to be working, but I haven't tried to pair anything to the machine yet.

Hardware I'd like to get working:

Video (obviously I need to try the stuff in the ATI forum or get a card, anyone have a good search or something?)

Ethernet (Broadcom 440x) (not a big deal as I also have an ExpressCard that claims Mac support and I don't use it much)

Wireless (Dell 1500 b/g/n) (Replace? With what?)

Synaptics Touchpad (sounds like the voodoo ps2 driver will take care of it)

Dual Core (voodoo TSC patch? I'm on a coreduo (not core2))

Audio (voodoo again?)

SDHC reader (another voodoo driver?)

I have a USB stick I can use to copy drivers and such over. Or I can install them from my Mac Mini. Anything else I should be looking for? If anyone has a compatible video card I can swap out for a decent price, let me know. I can't seem to find one. Someone said 25-40 on ebay, if so, where? Even broken ones seem to go for almost $100. Not sure why I would want a broken one though. :o

tt365

i have almost 100% the same except the ati card

Ethernet= Wont work

Wireless= i have the same card no issues for me there

Touchpad= VoodooPS2 in S/L/E

Dual Core= VoodooTSCSync in S/L/E

Audio= VoodooHDA in S/L/E but no Woofer support

SDHC= VoodooSDHC in S/L/E

thats all i can really help you with for now

hope it helps

Been awhile since I've tried OSX on my e1705/9400. I had Leopard working, but the stupid x1400 video had no solution at that time. It sounds like they are making some progress on it. I've tried searching EBay and such, but I can't find a NVidia card for a decent price. At $300+, I'd rather save up and buy a real Macbook.

Anyway, I installed Snow from a retail disk to an external USB HDD using Noob's ISO for 6400 laptops. It boots now, if I use the boot-132 CD. I need to install Chameleon to get it working directly. Graphics is working using VESA modes, as expected. Onboard LAN isn't detected, wireless is detected, but doesn't seem to be working right. It can't find my network and typing the info in manually doesn't work. It shows as a "third party card" in system profiler. Bluetooth looks to be working, but I haven't tried to pair anything to the machine yet.

Hardware I'd like to get working:

Video (obviously I need to try the stuff in the ATI forum or get a card, anyone have a good search or something?)

Ethernet (Broadcom 440x) (not a big deal as I also have an ExpressCard that claims Mac support and I don't use it much)

Wireless (Dell 1500 b/g/n) (Replace? With what?)

Synaptics Touchpad (sounds like the voodoo ps2 driver will take care of it)

Dual Core (voodoo TSC patch? I'm on a coreduo (not core2))

Audio (voodoo again?)

SDHC reader (another voodoo driver?)

I have a USB stick I can use to copy drivers and such over. Or I can install them from my Mac Mini. Anything else I should be looking for? If anyone has a compatible video card I can swap out for a decent price, let me know. I can't seem to find one. Someone said 25-40 on ebay, if so, where? Even broken ones seem to go for almost $100. Not sure why I would want a broken one though. :(

E1705 should be similar to E1505 (with a bigger screen)

i got mine working on Snow Leopard Retail DVD install using boot132.

basically i followed this guide and got to to the part where i had SL working with the CD:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194738

only followed the above guide till step 6.

Then i followed this guide from the Booting without the CD part:

http://reviewandhowto.com/2009/09/28/guide...n-e1505-laptop/

now, i have a fully functional Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on my Dell E1505!!! trying to dual boot with XP.. now thats what i am messing with.

Video >> i had the same x1400 on my E1505.. fought with it for a while and finally ended up buying a NVidia 7300 GO on ebay for $80 and replaced it. And now have full graphics support using EFI string. link

Ethernet (Broadcom 440x) >> i installed AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext to get this working. link

Wireless (Dell 1500 b/g/n) >> mine came with the 3945 which doesnt work, so i swapped it out for a DW1395. looks like he 500 should work just fine. refer to the Network section on this link

Synaptics Touchpad >> dint have to do anything special for this. but i did install VoodooPS2Controller

Dual Core >> i got Core Duo as well, and used VoodooTSCSYnc to make SL recognize that. IMPORTANT: i had to disable Core Duo support in BIOS in order to install the OSX. Or else it failed every time.

Audio >> VoodooHDA Audio Driver works for this

SDHC reader >> VoodooSDHC works for this.

E1705 should be similar to E1505 (with a bigger screen)

i got mine working on Snow Leopard Retail DVD install using boot132.

basically i followed this guide and got to to the part where i had SL working with the CD:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194738

only followed the above guide till step 6.

awesome thanks rajas! im installing on my e1705 right now thanks to your tip- have been struggling to figure out the booting of the installer disc for a while... woohoo, cant wait. :)

awesome thanks rajas! im installing on my e1705 right now thanks to your tip- have been struggling to figure out the booting of the installer disc for a while... woohoo, cant wait. :)

this may help too based on noob's guide (see link in my sig). Just upgraded to 10.6.2 without problems, no replacing kernels or kexts necessary.

@TheGreatDeceiver

me 2 my system is much better on 10.6 than 10.5. ive done both updates with zero changes just install and go

BTW do you get 64 bit now?

when I boot into 64bit I get a black screen. none of the previous solutions work for me. I know that the gma950 kexts are 64bit. it may need some fixing in the DSDT.aml or the graphics string in boot.plist

@rajas

ive tried to get my ethernet working with that but to no avail as of 10.5.4 i think it was it makes it think its there but cuts out constantly and never keeps a solid connection if it dose for you plz explain how you did it

hmmm.. my download traffic works just fine on the ethernet but there seems to be some problem while uploading. i am not sure what is going on. but will update when i figure this out. i used this pkg to get ethernet working. i couldnt figure out where i downloaded it from, but here it is. and while trying to upload this, i stumbled upon the upload traffic issue..

http://rapidshare.com/files/306022843/Appl...xt.pkg.zip.html