• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

I was able to get it installed on the smaller of my two drives. Instead of CCC, I used SuperDuper! Then you make the drive active with vsdbutil and install EFI.

It is working just as well as the USB, just much faster. I am now trying to reinstall on the 1.5TB drive. I was going to used the 750GB for Windows.

When I tried on the 1.5TB, I got a message related to oot0:GPT, oot0: HFS+, oot:error. So, I must've messed something up and am starting again. There is good news, it's very fast at copying data and only going through two steps.

After this, I can move it to a small portable usb drive and have a backup whenever I need it.

Creating a backup-usb-drive via SuperDuper sounds linke a very good idea. ;)

Glad you're making progress!

I've got one new glitch: every time i try to receive eMail via Apple Mail the program just crashes completely. ;)

edit: Deinstalling Safari 4 fixed that. Seems to be an error associated to GrowlMail.

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I gave up on trying to get everything set up on the 1.5TB drive. I ended up creating a little 200GB partition for Windows and used the rest as a data storage drive for the Mac. Not quite what I wanted, but the end result is the same.

I kept getting boot0: errors. I even reformatted the drive MBR and back to GPT to try and get rid of it, to no avail.

So, I am all good now. I have a nice clean image. I am debating stripping out on of my images and hosting it. Then you just need to extract it to a hard drive with iAtkos.

If someone gets sound working, that would be terrific. If not, I am still set.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Just wanted to let you know that an older Version of Temperature Monitor shows Temperatures for all Cores separately.
You have to use Temperature Monitor 4.5.1 (hosted by digital_dreamer).

I'm wondering right now if i should try striping my two 500GB harddrives to a RAID 0 ... but that seems to be not so easy to get working.
So maybe i should just stick to my very well running system.. :)

Last night i installed a USB WLAN Adapter, D-Link DWL-122G. It just works out of the box using the included 10.4. drivers.
It even connects after putting the computer to sleep without replugging or rebooting. :D
Pity, it isn't recognized as Airport-Card. That'd be icing on the cake....

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
I thought about RAID 0, as well. I just didn't want to buy yet another HD for some added performance.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Well, there are some things that really are annoying me.

During the last two days i've had 2 kernel panics due to the new WLAN dongle.
They just happened while browsing with Safari... not reproducable.

Additionally i'm having regularly disconnects from my WLAN router... kinda s*cks during playing World of Warcraft (which is quite nice on that machine. :))
Perhaps i'll better use cabled LAN.

Also, the hdds are quite noisy. It's a constant drone. But i'm not sure yet, how to isolate them from the case. There just is not enough space for two hdds... one i could fit into the spare 5 1/4" bay using ... but the other?!

Oh, and btw: Dell just released a new BIOS, 1.0.12, which disables that occasional fan-speedup!
http://ftp.us.dell.c...os/S4351012.EXE

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Well, there are some things that really are annoying me.

During the last two days i've had 2 kernel panics due to the new WLAN dongle.
They just happened while browsing with Safari... not reproducable.

Additionally i'm having regularly disconnects from my WLAN router... kinda s*cks during playing World of Warcraft (which is quite nice on that machine. :))
Perhaps i'll better use cabled LAN.

Also, the hdds are quite noisy. It's a constant drone. But i'm not sure yet, how to isolate them from the case. There just is not enough space for two hdds... one i could fit into the spare 5 1/4" bay using ... but the other?!
Oh, and btw: Dell just released a new BIOS, 1.0.12, which disables that occasional fan-speedup!
http://ftp.us.dell.c...os/S4351012.EXE

Have you applied the Bios update? I did one last week. It changed the bios logo to a Dell Studio XPS logo.

I haven't had a single panic. I am not using the DLINK (or Belkin, I can't remember which one you bought) wireless adapter, as I have it wired. It might be related to that.

As for the fan noise, it hasn't been too bad. Certainly no a Mac, although my old G5 Dual would occasionally sound like a jet engine, it has been reasonable.

My hard drives don't make much noise. I am not sure about yours, but mine came with a 7200 RPM hitachi 750 GB drive. I added a 7200 1.5 TB Seagate drive. I am contemplating putting my 1 TB samsung drive in as well, as it would be faster than the usb interface.

Let us know about your kernel panics. It would be interesting to see if they are network or video related.

yeraym

yeraym

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hey, if you can't get your 3650 working fully try this package:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m93juvfld2w
I have the dell installed 3650 256mb, and only this package worked. I used the OP's boot plist.

Thanks aplats, I finally have my 3650 with 256mb working with QE/CI. This package is the only one that worked.
I'm not using yardie's .plist but Natit instead
I just hope anyone would find a solution to get sound (I will try myself)

Thanks to everybody in this thread as well

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Yeah, i applied the BIOS update, installed windows just for that purpose because it was faster than buying a USB Stick and making it bootable. ;)
The fans are very quiet now, just a whoosh at startup and that's it. (But with a Noctua 92mm Case-Fan instead of the original one, that is.)

I think the HDD noise is because of the vibrations that are transferred to the whole case.
It's not really bad, just a slight hum. But since i'm a silence lover when i'm not doing much but browsing the internet and such.

Since yesterday no more kernel panics... but they were definitely wlan related!
Perhaps i can find the trace in one of the .log files?

WilliamsEph97

WilliamsEph97

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
@lun_IX

Congrats on getting your system up and running! I've seen your exact system at the local microcenter and best buy and am seriously considering getting it. I'm completely a newb when it comes to using the terminal though. Is there any chance you could write a step by step guide for your system and post the needed files (kexts and plists, etc.) somewhere? It would be a great benefit to terminal averse folks like me and would probably get others to jump onto this system. Thanks.

teddiesmooth

teddiesmooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
@lun_IX, chipset,

Have you guys had any issues getting the 48x0 drivers running properly on the Vanilla install? Last week I ordered the Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB and popped it in the computer this weekend. I booted into my vanilla install and to no surprise I got a flash of blue then a blank screen. I booted into safe mode and installed the drivers and removed the EFI strings and rebooted with -f (dvi2vga adapter in second port, monitor in first port) with the same results.

I figured heck, what do I have to lose, let me try installing it on my iAtkos (rescue) partition. Installed in iAtkos, rebooted, works perfectly without dvi2vga adapter, QE/CI enabled and everything. I think I will wait until 10.5.7 is released before trying to get the drivers working again in the Vanilla install. Call me naieve, but since the new Vanilla kernel will support i7 natively as well as the 4800 series of ATI cards, we shouldn't have to install special drivers.

One thing to note is that the iAtkos kernel at boot time is "custom", whereas I am using Voodoo 9.6.0 "mach_kernel.voodoo" for my Vanilla install... methinks there is a slight difference in how the kext is addressed.

@all

Sound
Making some progress getting sound working. The Vanilla AppleHDA.kext was patched using Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher 1.20 with a codec dump produced from Mandriva Linux. I just need to get the HDAEnabler.kext patched with the right pinconfig. Once I have that working I will see what I can do to integrate it with DSDT.aml

Power Supply
One thing I noticed this weekend is that the power supply is adequate only for stock stuff and is only good for running apps that don't draw too much power. I booted into Vista and fired up Crysis with the new card. A few seconds after it started rendering the scene in 1280x1024 at high detail, 4xAA, the computer just powered off, no warning whatsoever. I tried it a few more times and it did the same thing. I had a spare 500W PS lying around and figured I'd give that a try. Worked like a charm!

If you plan on doing anything graphic intensive and plan on having more than one HDD in the computer, please upgrade your power supply!

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

@lun_IX, chipset,

Have you guys had any issues getting the 48x0 drivers running properly on the Vanilla install? Last week I ordered the Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB and popped it in the computer this weekend. I booted into my vanilla install and to no surprise I got a flash of blue then a blank screen. I booted into safe mode and installed the drivers and removed the EFI strings and rebooted with -f (dvi2vga adapter in second port, monitor in first port) with the same results.

I figured heck, what do I have to lose, let me try installing it on my iAtkos (rescue) partition. Installed in iAtkos, rebooted, works perfectly without dvi2vga adapter, QE/CI enabled and everything. I think I will wait until 10.5.7 is released before trying to get the drivers working again in the Vanilla install. Call me naieve, but since the new Vanilla kernel will support i7 natively as well as the 4800 series of ATI cards, we shouldn't have to install special drivers.

One thing to note is that the iAtkos kernel at boot time is "custom", whereas I am using Voodoo 9.6.0 "mach_kernel.voodoo" for my Vanilla install... methinks there is a slight difference in how the kext is addressed.

@all

Sound
Making some progress getting sound working. The Vanilla AppleHDA.kext was patched using Taruga's AppleHDA Patcher 1.20 with a codec dump produced from Mandriva Linux. I just need to get the HDAEnabler.kext patched with the right pinconfig. Once I have that working I will see what I can do to integrate it with DSDT.aml

Power Supply
One thing I noticed this weekend is that the power supply is adequate only for stock stuff and is only good for running apps that don't draw too much power. I booted into Vista and fired up Crysis with the new card. A few seconds after it started rendering the scene in 1280x1024 at high detail, 4xAA, the computer just powered off, no warning whatsoever. I tried it a few more times and it did the same thing. I had a spare 500W PS lying around and figured I'd give that a try. Worked like a charm!

If you plan on doing anything graphic intensive and plan on having more than one HDD in the computer, please upgrade your power supply!

I noticed a few differences on the video card. I am using the 4850, so it may be a bit different. On mine, I had to change the port it used to display the graphics. I am not completely thrilled as the card didn't offer a 1920x1200 resolution, which is native for my 24" Samsung. So, I am running 1600x1200, which is a little distorted.

My card has two DVI and one SVideo out. I am using a DVI to VGA adapter as the MBP is using the DVI connection.

As for the PS, I knew it would be an issue. I am driving two drives on mine without a problem. I plan on upgrading it one day.

And good luck on the sound.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
@WilliamsEph97:
Will try to find some time to get my brain spill out all the steps i did to get up and running. :)

@teddiesmooth:
I installed the Ati drivers from my iATKOS installation, not directly running the vanilla.
Also you might try to use the second DVI port for the monitor and put the adapter on the 1st port. That worked for me.

Regarding the power supply: Yeah, it's a bit on the weak side providing 360 watts.
But how did you manage to connect your 4870, doesn't it need to 6-pin power connections?
My system is working quite fine with two HDDs. So a 2nd HDD should be fine in any case.

But if you manage to patch the audio kext's that'd be awesome! Good luck with that!

@chipset:
Maybe you should plug your MacBook to the VGA Port and the Hack to the DVI... that way you should be able to get both systems running at the native resolution.

teddiesmooth

teddiesmooth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

@teddiesmooth:
I installed the Ati drivers from my iATKOS installation, not directly running the vanilla.
Also you might try to use the second DVI port for the monitor and put the adapter on the 1st port. That worked for me.

I'll have to give it a try tonight.

Regarding the power supply: Yeah, it's a bit on the weak side providing 360 watts.
But how did you manage to connect your 4870, doesn't it need to 6-pin power connections?
My system is working quite fine with two HDDs. So a 2nd HDD should be fine in any case.

I had ordered a SATA power to 4-pin adapter with the card and used one of the two PCI-e power connectors that came with the vid card. It boggles my mind that Dell decided not to put regular 4-pin connectors with their PS.

But if you manage to patch the audio kext's that'd be awesome! Good luck with that!

It pains me to keep rebooting the computer every time I make a change to the HDEnabler.kext but I feel as though it's a necessary evil. I am not confident that HDAEnabler.kext can be loaded properly with kextload.

Daft Wullie

Daft Wullie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Hi all,

I've been trying to install OSX on my studio xps for a while now using boot-132 and a purchased retail disk of 10.5.6 but have been unsuccessful. I get Darwin to start, but then after a few screens of text, I get a white flash on my screen and the machine reboots. I never even make it to main installation window.
Before I give Yardie's method a go, Is there a reason why boot-132 wouldn't work, even if the proper kexts were used in the bootloader?

grts,
Vince

Yardie

Yardie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Hi all,

I've been trying to install OSX on my studio xps for a while now using boot-132 and a purchased retail disk of 10.5.6 but have been unsuccessful. I get Darwin to start, but then after a few screens of text, I get a white flash on my screen and the machine reboots. I never even make it to main installation window.
Before I give Yardie's method a go, Is there a reason why boot-132 wouldn't work, even if the proper kexts were used in the bootloader?

grts,
Vince

That would depend on a lot of things. Most important is what kernel is in the boot-132 and what kexts are being loaded.

I was never able to get boot-132 to work. Even when I disabled 3 cores and shutdown almost all CPU features. I didn't get enough information to know which kernel was being loaded by the boot CD. The i7 won't work with the vanilla kernel. The only kernel I found that worked are the Voodoo 9.6 beta and the 9.1 modbin kernels.

I did mine installation that way because the two installers I had one was using the voodoo 9.5 kernel which is known not work with i7. iAtkos worked, and Kalyway 10.5.2 worked but KPed when loading a kext. I didn't have the resources to create my own boot132. You need a working OS X to create a custom boot132, if you need all of that you might as well install the leopard while you are up and running.

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

@chipset:
Maybe you should plug your MacBook to the VGA Port and the Hack to the DVI... that way you should be able to get both systems running at the native resolution.

I would, but my Mac is the new MBP with the Mini Display Port. I don't feel like buying another adapter to run VGA (as the DVI connector cannot be used with a DVI2VGA adapter).

That, and 10.5.7 should be out soon with native support for the 4850. That will solve my issue. Only one known issue for 10.5.7.

Daft Wullie

Daft Wullie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Ok, so I decided to give it a try.
Did everything the way you described without natit.kext and graphics update.
First install goes ok but then after reboot I get the gray screen with apple logo and revolving timer icon for about 5-10 minutes before the screen turns to attached image and system freezes...
I left it for a while, since you mentioned you thought yours had crashed, but nothing happened after 20 mins.
Is this a graphics issue?
I'll try with some other options. You never know...

V

Attached Files

chipset

chipset

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Ok, so I decided to give it a try.
Did everything the way you described without natit.kext and graphics update.
First install goes ok but then after reboot I get the gray screen with apple logo and revolving timer icon for about 5-10 minutes before the screen turns to attached image and system freezes...
I left it for a while, since you mentioned you thought yours had crashed, but nothing happened after 20 mins.
Is this a graphics issue?
I'll try with some other options. You never know...

V

The logo pause is a known issue and there's a fix. Once you are set, you can update the system. See the first post, it talks about a pause. There's a patch (DSDT) that must be run to get rid of the pause.

Yes, that's a graphics issue. However, you aren't going to be able to do much with those graphics. If you can, try booting into safe mode. I believe that option is -f at the boot options screen.

lun_IX

lun_IX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
You have two options now:

1. Boot into your iATKOS install, and install the graphics driver onto your vanilla system.
2. Boot your vanilla into failsafe-mode, using the "-x" option and then directly install the graphics update.

After a reboot it should be fine. If it still doesn't work try switching the DVI2VGA Adapter and the DVI-Monitor-Cable.

I've had the same garbled screen and finally got it working, so no worries!

Wish you best of luck!

titelio

titelio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Panic kernel.

I have Dell Studio XPS with 8gb Ram and Ati Radeon 4850.

After installing everything using the steps in this guide, I have the following problem:

Attached File  Imagen048.jpg   215.26KB   81 downloads

How can I fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy