*Updated 11/12* DMG mounting issues & Sandbox.kext/Seatbelt.kext

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts

I can't get it to change? It still shows 45? The one I downloaded does show 14 so it must be right.

What kind of install do you use? Do you use an /extra folder or the EFI partition?

If not than try removing the current seatbelt from /System/library/extensions then install the new one.

pederb

pederb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm following your instructions on page one.
I found correct kext, if I go to Extensions and click on seatbelt.kext and to see content, I see two things in there, one is the folder named "contents" and next to it is the correct seatbelt.kext that if I click on that one to see content is shows me ver 14.

Any ideas why the new kext get buried in there?

Cheers

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

• Donators
  • 614 posts

I'm following your instructions on page one.
I found correct kext, if I go to Extensions and click on seatbelt.kext and to see content, I see two things in there, one is the folder named "contents" and next to it is the correct seatbelt.kext that if I click on that one to see content is shows me ver 14.

Any ideas why the new kext get buried in there?

Cheers

A kext is essentially a folder with various files packed inside. You have basically copied one kext "folder" into another kext "folder".

Try this

1. Redownload the proper Seatbelt.kext and place it on your desktop.

2. Open Terminal and type the following. Pay close attention to spaces and / marks. Replace username with your own.

sudo su
cd /System/library
rm -Rf Extensions/Seatbelt.kext
cp /Users/username/Desktop/Seatbelt.kext Extensions
rm -Rf Extensions.mkext
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
chmod -R 755 Extensions/
touch Extensions

Reboot with -f

You can alternately use KextHelper to install the kext.
1. Open Terminal and type
sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/Seatbelt.kext
2. Use KextHelper to Install the new kext.

pederb

pederb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Working, I just deleted the old one first then followed you original instructions.

Thank you very much for your help

Cheers

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

• Donators
  • 614 posts

Working, I just deleted the old one first then followed you original instructions.

Thank you very much for your help

Cheers

No problem

You may also benefit from the following post. I was able to get my boot time down to around 30sec using this modified kext. This is also version specific. The initial files posted are for 10.5.6, which is what you would need, while later in the thread versions for 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 are also posted.

http://www.insanelym...p...138460&st=0

pederb

pederb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Cool,

BTW can I do the MAC updates or should I use some thing like the iDeneb 10.5.8 combo kit to update?

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

• Donators
  • 614 posts

Cool,

BTW can I do the MAC updates or should I use some thing like the iDeneb 10.5.8 combo kit to update?

Do not use Apple Software Update if you are running a prepatched install. The iDeneb update should probobly be safe however I would recommend making a complete backup of your system using Disk Utility or software like SuperDuper. At a minimum make a backup copy of your Extensions folder.
If you ever plan to do a complete reinstall or have the time to tinker, I would suggest looking into using an /Extra folder method to keep your modified kexts in. An even better aproach would be an EFI partition retail install. This basically keeps your modified kernel, kexts and hacks in a hidden parition leaving you with a vanilla Apple install.
These means:
1. Updates using Apple's Software Update
2. The ability to do a complete reinstall without the need to reapply your kexts and hacks.
3. Piece of mind

Without this you will be faced with an arduous journey through update hell.

These methods are widely explained throughout this and other forums. I am willing to help anyone but they must first do some research on their own and become better familiarized with these methods and the lingo that goes with them.

Just let me know.

pederb

pederb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Cool, Thxs

I will look into it and see if I'm ready for something like this or not

Cheers

pederb

pederb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Lanceomni,

Well I did the iDeneb 10.5.8 Combo update and ran into the same problems :-(

But I don't think this the right thread for this, can you pm me or shoot of an email sales at koolkatjazz. com if you are willing to help.

Cheers

pederb

pederb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Lanceomni,

I was able to successfully install 10.6.2 by Hazard, but I'm running into the same kind of problems as I did with 10.5.2.

Does 10.6.2 also have issues with seatbelt.kexts or is this just a Leo issue?

Cheers

digitalPimple

digitalPimple

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is working great. Thanks BUT one problem.

My installer Application is freezing! I can mount all DMG's fine but if I try a run any ".pkg" files it starts up freezes and all I see is the small spinning wheel.

I have to force installer QUIT to get rid of it. This effects all PKG files I tried. Even iLife .

Anyone seeing this?

kernel64

kernel64

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Everything is running ok on my system so far, dmgs are mounting correctly but I have a question.

When my system boots in verbose I have this line:

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X

Should I be worried about this? How can I fix this if so. Is this related to a seatbelt.kext issue?

zonkerio

zonkerio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello pals, I'v installed iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on my PC.
I have Gigabytes GA-G31M-S2L MotherBoard
I'm totally new to MAC but then i still managed to install it properly n sound is also working fine

whats not workin is video and I'm not able to install any MAC applications (.DMG file)
it gets downloaded but it says some mounting problem and then it asks me to restart the PC ;)
i tried the above procedure but as I'm new i'm little lost.. so guys please help me

i need to download and install applications on my PC

what will i have to do?

please gimme the step-by-step instructions

my kernel version seems to be :: Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2

as i get this after typing the command "uname -a" at terminal ::

g31m-s2l.local 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

pleaseeeeeee help guys :)

thanks in advance...

FenrirX

FenrirX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Look to me this thread may almost be dead, though stickied for reference...but..

I'm also having a DMG Issue. But I don't get kernel panics

In fact I don't even get an error message at all. Nothing happens. The icons for the DMG files just look like the generic white piece of paper icon. This started when I used the Zeph tool to update to 10.5.7.. I couldnt mount DMGs without getting an error message and USB drives failed to mount. I dont remember what I did after that as my computer was out for a few months due to HW failure. I started working on this error again but I cant fix! I've used pacifist to install different version of the DiskImageMounter (as it has a blank icon as well) Ive installed different kernels (last official Voodoo, the unsupported versions too), tried all seatbelt kexts..Nothing changes. I finally installed 10.5.8 iDeneb and still nothing changed. I'm at a loss on what to do. The only way I've gotten it to actually give me an Error is by installing an older DiskImageMounter from 10.5.6 Disk. I believe its actual version is 10.5.4. EVerything after (even 10.5.8) is version 10.5.5

any ideas?

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

• Donators
  • 614 posts

Everything is running ok on my system so far, dmgs are mounting correctly but I have a question.

When my system boots in verbose I have this line:

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X

Should I be worried about this? How can I fix this if so. Is this related to a seatbelt.kext issue?

No. The voodoo kernel blacklists certain files. This is well documented in the Voodoo Manual. You can also use the flag blacklist=0 to keep these files from being ignored. I would suggest not doing so. You will understand after reading the manual. BTW sorry for the late response.

Look to me this thread may almost be dead, though stickied for reference...but..

I'm also having a DMG Issue. But I don't get kernel panics

In fact I don't even get an error message at all. Nothing happens. The icons for the DMG files just look like the generic white piece of paper icon. This started when I used the Zeph tool to update to 10.5.7.. I couldnt mount DMGs without getting an error message and USB drives failed to mount. I dont remember what I did after that as my computer was out for a few months due to HW failure. I started working on this error again but I cant fix! I've used pacifist to install different version of the DiskImageMounter (as it has a blank icon as well) Ive installed different kernels (last official Voodoo, the unsupported versions too), tried all seatbelt kexts..Nothing changes. I finally installed 10.5.8 iDeneb and still nothing changed. I'm at a loss on what to do. The only way I've gotten it to actually give me an Error is by installing an older DiskImageMounter from 10.5.6 Disk. I believe its actual version is 10.5.4. EVerything after (even 10.5.8) is version 10.5.5

any ideas?

Not too sure on this. This thread mainly deals with issues where certain kexts depend on a specific kernel version to run properly.

I would suggest doing a little research on using the EFI partition for your hacks/mods and leaving your system running a clean retail install. This allows you to safely use Software Update and even do complete system reinstall while leaving your hacks in place.

Bledi Xhafa

Bledi Xhafa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello friends!

I have a very serious problem with seatbelt.kext. I cant unmount .dmg files with diskimage mounter. . I use Ideneb 10.5.8 . I did download my versions seatbelt.kext and installed with your steps but again my .dmg mounter doesn`t work. When I try to open my seatbelt.kext`s version.plist it shows like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BuildVersion</key>
<string>78</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>107.12</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>107.12</string>
<key>ProjectName</key>
<string>Seatbelt</string>
<key>SourceVersion</key>
<string>1071200</string>
</dict>
</plist>

When I type in terminal uname -a this is what I see:

Macintosh:~ bledixhafa$ uname -a
Darwin Macintosh.local 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Can you help me please? I dont know what to do anymore. :rolleyes:

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

• Donators
  • 614 posts

Hello friends!

I have a very serious problem with seatbelt.kext. I cant unmount .dmg files with diskimage mounter. . I use Ideneb 10.5.8 . I did download my versions seatbelt.kext and installed with your steps but again my .dmg mounter doesn`t work. When I try to open my seatbelt.kext`s version.plist it shows like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>BuildVersion</key>
<string>78</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>107.12</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>107.12</string>
<key>ProjectName</key>
<string>Seatbelt</string>
<key>SourceVersion</key>
<string>1071200</string>
</dict>
</plist>

When I type in terminal uname -a this is what I see:

Macintosh:~ bledixhafa$ uname -a
Darwin Macintosh.local 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Can you help me please? I dont know what to do anymore. :D

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE TINKERING

I have never experienced this issue before. The issue described in this thread deals with dependencies and having the corresponding properly matched files.

It looks looks like you have the proper Seatbelt in the proper place for the kernel you are running. Lets check to see if your system is running this extension.
1. Go to System Profiler and select Software/Extensions from the left pane.
2. Look for Seatbelt and check the version. It should be 107.12

If not or even if it does match lets go ahead and remove the Extensions Cache
1. Open Terminal and type:
sudo su

2. Remove the extensions cache file. (Watch your spelling here):
rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

3. Restart using the flags -v -f

Bledi Xhafa

Bledi Xhafa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I did whatever you told me to do. And my seatbelt.kext version is 107.12. Here is the printscreen of System Profiler:
Attached File  Picture_1.png   225.35KB   13 downloads

I removed the extensions cache file and rebooted the system and it looked lise this : Attached File  19072010.jpg   443.66KB   9 downloads

And yet again my dmg doesnt work. :P

Thanks again in advance Lanceomni!

Regards

jjproctor

jjproctor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
easy fix if you have KextHelperb7 just use that to install the Seatbelt.kext works the same :) for me at least :P

Bledi Xhafa

Bledi Xhafa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Installed the seatbelt.kext with KextHelperb7 but again dmg umounter doesnt work.

Thanks anyway

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy