Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

You almost make me cry, man. Your kext + HDAEnabler seems to get line out + headphones + optical out working!! THANKS!! :)

I'm really tired now and I'm going to bed right now, but tomorrow I will test it more concientiously and I'll post results. Also, I'll try to understand in detail what you says and maybe between all can optimise the Kext :)

DiaboliK, you told that it was possible to get audio working without an injector like ALCinjector or HDAenabler, only modding AppleHDA. I believe no one actually in that thread know how to do it :) . It would be interesting know how you accomplish it or that you share your working solution with us so we can learn for a possible future fix need.

FrodoKenny - THANKS from me as well :)

I agree - Diabolik - can you help us out :)

Lokoh - Did you just drop the supplied kext and HDAEnabler on kext helper? How did you install it? Mine will not recognize - even did a fresh install.

thanks!

I downloaded this and unzip. Then I installed HDAEnabler.kext from it and AppleHDA.kext supplied by FrodoKenny with Universal OSx86 Installer and that is.

If it still don't work for you, try to delete extensions cache and repair permissions in that folder with OSx86Tools. And of course, you have to delete every other audio kext that you may have installed before (Azalia for example...).

Does it work now? If not, what version of leopard do you have, 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? What are your bios options for audio?

By the way, the problem with memory continue... please, people with Asus board and more than 2 GB on it, can comment if you're getting problems or not? The problem is not the same with gigabyte (it not snow screen), it simply crash the system with a kernel panic. I would like to know If I am the only one with Asus and 4GB RAM getting that issue, because with only 2GB the system seems rock solid (I'm doing tests now and crossing my fingers...).

PS: I'm a little busy right now trying to finish picking the rest of components for my system. When I finish that I'll go indeep with audio trying to understand what FrodoKenny did.

Thank Lokah -I tried it with 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 with the same result - I will try this way a little later on today - I am running 4 gb on this board as well - I havent seem to have had an issue, although now for some reason I dont seem to have usb anymore??

I downloaded this and unzip. Then I installed HDAEnabler.kext from it and AppleHDA.kext supplied by FrodoKenny with Universal OSx86 Installer and that is.

If it still don't work for you, try to delete extensions cache and repair permissions in that folder with OSx86Tools. And of course, you have to delete every other audio kext that you may have installed before (Azalia for example...).

Does it work now? If not, what version of leopard do you have, 10.5.5 or 10.5.6? What are your bios options for audio?

By the way, the problem with memory continue... please, people with Asus board and more than 2 GB on it, can comment if you're getting problems or not? The problem is not the same with gigabyte (it not snow screen), it simply crash the system with a kernel panic. I would like to know If I am the only one with Asus and 4GB RAM getting that issue, because with only 2GB the system seems rock solid (I'm doing tests now and crossing my fingers...).

PS: I'm a little busy right now trying to finish picking the rest of components for my system. When I finish that I'll go indeep with audio trying to understand what FrodoKenny did.

Lokah - do your outputs show in System Preferences? I see them in my System Profiler, but nothing in System Preferences - no speaker icon either?

I can see my audio device in:

*about that mac - more info - sound (integrated)

*System preferences - Sound --> I get 3 outputs (stereo, headphones and digital) and 2 inputs. In the first tab there is an option to show or hide volume control icon (of course, this only works if your sound card is recognise).

Have you installed the kext driver of FrodoKenny like I did and still no get sound? Are you sure you delete every other audio kext used before as Azalia & cia!?

By the way 2006C6, please try memtest on your system and tell me if you get a kernel panic in about 15 seconds after the program starts or it runs stable without problem.

Anitanium, what you wanna use, 5.1 analog or digital output? The kexts shared by FrodoKenny enables digital output if that is what you need. We're waiting for DiaboliK solution, maybe that enable 5.1 analog aswell.

I just got the Asus P5N7A-VM with Q8200 going to attempt installing OS X but

After reading all the posts in this thread i still can't really make out what exactly i need to do and what i need to get it going.

Sorry in advance if i sounds like a moron.

I'm kind of in the same boat as APLeon. My board will arrive in two days and I'll take my first foray into the world of hackintosh. I've read through the entire thread and have some ideas of how things will go but I'm not sure exactly. If someone such as Lokoh wouldn't mind putting together a simple step-by-step it would be MUCH appreciated. I don't mind having to do some research myself but if you could just list the gross steps it would be awesome. Thanks!

I just got the Asus P5N7A-VM with Q8200 going to attempt installing OS X but

After reading all the posts in this thread i still can't really make out what exactly i need to do and what i need to get it going.

Sorry in advance if i sounds like a moron.

I'm kind of in the same boat as APLeon. My board will arrive in two days and I'll take my first foray into the world of hackintosh. I've read through the entire thread and have some ideas of how things will go but I'm not sure exactly. If someone such as Lokoh wouldn't mind putting together a simple step-by-step it would be MUCH appreciated. I don't mind having to do some research myself but if you could just list the gross steps it would be awesome. Thanks!

Some days ago, this thread was mixed with the Gigabyte E7AUM thread. When it splitted, it results in Gigabyte have a lot more info about how install OSx86 in that system that this thread, so it's normal you're a little confuse.

I (and more people before me) explain what they did to get system working. If you want know what I did, go here, but If that don't work for you, I would recommend to read the entire post because a lot things have been resolved already.

The only thing different that you have to do in order to install in Asus board in relation with Gigabyte, is to change DSDT (In Asus you have to install DiaboliK DSDT and NOT Signal64) and use a different driver (Gigabyte uses ALC889A and Asus ALC1200, so you need the kext supplied by FrodoKenny in that thread to get audio working).

I'm a little busy this days because I'm finishing building my machine, but when it's done I'll update my experience with the system (but for now... I'm 'WOW' of how good is working. My main problem right now is system not turning off correctly, its power off hard drive, screen, etc... but light and system continues ON. ??¿¿?¿. And of course, system crashed with +2 GB RAM (with 2GB rock-solid 100% tested).

Some days ago, this thread was mixed with the Gigabyte E7AUM thread. When it splitted, it results in Gigabyte have a lot more info about how install OSx86 in that system that this thread, so it's normal you're a little confuse.

I (and more people before me) explain what they did to get system working. If you want know what I did, go here, but If that don't work for you, I would recommend to read the entire post because a lot things have been resolved already.

The only thing different that you have to do in order to install in Asus board in relation with Gigabyte, is to change DSDT (In Asus you have to install DiaboliK DSDT and NOT Signal64) and use a different driver (Gigabyte uses ALC889A and Asus ALC1200, so you need the kext supplied by FrodoKenny in that thread to get audio working).

I'm a little busy this days because I'm finishing building my machine, but when it's done I'll update my experience with the system (but for now... I'm 'WOW' of how good is working. My main problem right now is system not turning off correctly, its power off hard drive, screen, etc... but light and system continues ON. ??¿¿?¿. And of course, system crashed with +2 GB RAM (with 2GB rock-solid 100% tested).

thanks for the pointers since i don't currently have a Mac available..my iBook died...plus i have 4GB of RAM on the board.. i don't think i stand a chance getting it up and running...

thanks for the pointers since i don't currently have a Mac available..my iBook died...plus i have 4GB of RAM on the board.. i don't think i stand a chance getting it up and running...

Yes, you have. There are people that installed it with iatkos i5 release first and then installed with unibody method. Read the Gigabyte post (especially latests 4-5 pages I think) and you'll see some advice on how they accomplish that :)

And 4 GB and so in Asus generally is no problem... except with my board or config, it's seem :)

Hello, long time follower of osx86 first time poster.

First thanks to Diabolik and Signal64 as well as the rest of the crew for the hard work on this board as well as the Gigabye board.

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm eager to get started on getting my board setup. Now that 2 channel (stero) audio is working I can finally get started. I am eagerly awaiting 5.1 support, Diabolik any news on this front?

I'm unclear if the on board SATA controller is supported nativity or not. I've heard several mentions of people installing to IDE and external USB drives but SATA has not been mentioned a whole lot. As of right now I only have 1 hard drive that happens to be SATA and I was hoping I could use that.

Also I'd like to hear more peoples experiences of installs without a legitimate Macbook present. Currently I'm hoping that I can just install a non 100% functional install (10.4 kalaway maybe) onto a USB drive on my Asus P5N7A-VM system and then do ALU MB restore to my SATA drive. Has anyone had any luck doing anything like this?

Again everyone thanks again for all your hard work on this project.

Just afarewell from me on this topic - my Dell laptop has just died and I have received as a gift an iMac - finally got what I really wanted - so my 9300 project bites the dust. Good luck to all with this - will keep watching.

Yes, you have. There are people that installed it with iatkos i5 release first and then installed with unibody method. Read the Gigabyte post (especially latests 4-5 pages I think) and you'll see some advice on how they accomplish that :)

And 4 GB and so in Asus generally is no problem... except with my board or config, it's seem :(

humm yes i did see reports of that being possible and i have tried to boot it it just stuck in Darwin forever not sure where to begin on this. sorry for being annoying but the rambling on in that thread is pretty hard to read through and extra any form of a guide or info out of it.

Up running 10.5.6 with iPC 10.5.6 Install DVD, with LAN/internet (still checking others). Steps for reference:

1) booted in safe mode as posted earlier

2) got iPC 10.5.6 Install DVD from the usual place, burned the iso to dvd

3) install 10.5.6 from the iDeneb safe mode to a SATA HDD

4) booted from SATA drive

5) deleted Extension.mkext as recommended in release notes of the Install DVD

6) installed decrypter, disabler and bootloader with OSx86 Installer

7) found Diabolic's DSDT and copied DSDT.aml to SATA drive root

8) re-boot into 10.5.6

Big thank you to everyone in the forum providing valuable info... and special thanks to Locoh for the hints!

Now trying to resolve sound and display, any advice/hints will be highly appreciated.

2) In my first install on the Asus mobo I tried boot from usb drive with OS X installed and it couldn't boot. Stop on "still waiting for root device". I really don't know why... with Gigabyte Mobo it didn't happened to me. So if I was you, I'll install it on internal SATA drive to avoid problems (remember set in bios, SATA to AHCI mode).

3) Well, I'm a newbie too, so I can't explain you what do every kexts because I don't know or know very little. Basically, you need two kexts and a DSDT so it can work; these are: a disabler, a decrypter and DSDT supplied by Diabolik.

The most easy install method: Once you have installed NoPE release, download Universal OSx86 Installer and DSDT from Diabolik (uploaded before in the post). Then with Universal OSx86 installer, select "OSx86 Essential" package, EFIv9 and set a boot delay. Hit apply. This will install the decrypter, disabler and even the bootloader.

Then you only need to copy DSDT.aml to root on the drive, and you're done.

OSx86 Essential package will install aswell, OpenHaltRestart.kext, which was useful to me in Gigabyte board but not in Asus, so I recommend you to delete it once you have install everything (the file is copied in /System/Library/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext). That kexts is for people having problems when restarting the system, which at least to me doesn't happen on my system.

Up running 10.5.6 with iPC 10.5.6 Install DVD, with LAN/internet (still checking others). Steps for reference:

1) booted in safe mode as posted earlier

2) got iPC 10.5.6 Install DVD from the usual place, burned the iso to dvd

3) install 10.5.6 from the iDeneb safe mode to a SATA HDD

4) booted from SATA drive

5) deleted Extension.mkext as recommended in release notes of the Install DVD

6) installed decrypter, disabler and bootloader with OSx86 Installer

7) found Diabolic's DSDT and copied DSDT.aml to SATA drive root

8) re-boot into 10.5.6

Big thank you to everyone in the forum providing valuable info... and special thanks to Locoh for the hints!

Now trying to resolve sound and display, any advice/hints will be highly appreciated.

Also changed CPU from E2180 to E5200

First thanks to Diabolik and Signal64 as well as the rest of the crew for the hard work on this board as well as the Gigabye board.

Your welcome :)

I am eagerly awaiting 5.1 support, Diabolik any news on this front?

It looks like most folks are expecting 5.1 to work like a PC does.

I would go back and research 5.1 surround on the mac before going into the audio on this board.

There are a few "depends on" and "how to's" out there for that mac that will apply to all hacks.

I'm unclear if the on board SATA controller is supported nativity or not. I've heard several mentions of people installing to IDE and external USB drives but SATA has not been mentioned a whole lot. As of right now I only have 1 hard drive that happens to be SATA and I was hoping I could use that.
You can't boot the restore dvd and restore from that directly on this board hence the other steps your seeing. It is not SATA related, but a DSDT issue that isn't easy to correct without a BIOS mod or other munky business to do. A new chameleon/boot132 might just allow this to work but for now we are going by other methods.

Also I'd like to hear more peoples experiences of installs without a legitimate Macbook present. Currently I'm hoping that I can just install a non 100% functional install (10.4 kalaway maybe) onto a USB drive on my Asus P5N7A-VM system and then do ALU MB restore to my SATA drive. Has anyone had any luck doing anything like this?

If I'm reading that right, you want to temporarily boot up in any flavor of OS X to do the restore. Well, should be possible just that your going to have to make sure the model check file is replaced on the restore dvd image (posted in the Gigabyte thread).

It looks like most folks are expecting 5.1 to work like a PC does.

I would go back and research 5.1 surround on the mac before going into the audio on this board.

There are a few "depends on" and "how to's" out there for that mac that will apply to all hacks.

Great! I will research this further.

You can't boot the restore dvd and restore from that directly on this board hence the other steps your seeing. It is not SATA related, but a DSDT issue that isn't easy to correct without a BIOS mod or other munky business to do. A new chameleon/boot132 might just allow this to work but for now we are going by other methods.

This isn't quite what I was asking here. What I wanted to know is once I have preformed the restore from another instance of OSX (10.4) would my SATA controller be recognized. After finally getting some sleep I realized what a stupid question that was. Obviously if I can restore to the drive it will be recognized after the restore is preformed and booted up, so please ignore that question.

If I'm reading that right, you want to temporarily boot up in any flavor of OS X to do the restore. Well, should be possible just that your going to have to make sure the model check file is replaced on the restore dvd image (posted in the Gigabyte thread).

I am aware of the model check work around from the other thread. I will be giving this a try most likely first thing tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your quick reply Signal64.

Good luck to everyone else.

i've uploaded my audio kext

remove any ALCinject and related kext

it should recognize immediately after a restart

also, my bios settings is

Front Panel: HD Audio

and SPDIF output if that makes a difference

i'm going to test the 9300 iGPU later tonight to see if i solved it

Hi

I've try but had no luck. I can only see Intel HD Audio - DeviceID in SystemProfiler, under Audio (built-in), nothing more.

Can you or anyone give some advice/hints?

Thanks much!

Sorry, it was a false alarm. The first install didn't go through. Now its installed and is working!

Thank you Anitanium!

You should be able to install NVKush and be on your way.

Can you tell me what options you chose on IPC?

Can someone tell me how to get graphics working? I now have LAN and sound. Tried OSx Installer custom Nvidia but only get black screen.

Thank you!