The Holy ALC663 Problem Solving Thread

Turanli

72 posts in this topic

Anyone figure out why those running vanilla kernels still get the beachball of death when running Audieee? I'd love to have a working soundcard in my laptop.

I wish I could contribute more. :(

actually mine runs fine - vanilla kernel with audieee, has something to do with ACPI i believe. I installed with IPC FInal and did basic for installtion, just choose achi, nvdarwin, and ps2 keyboard. Then after install fixed dmg crash with 10.5.5 seatbelt and all is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a small update on the Azalia driver. I'm now successfully able to get both speakers and headphones working (although you need to manually toggle them) from a cold-boot of OSX. No more wasting time with booting into vista first. Because this program writes directly to the codec, it is able to initialize the internal speakers without need for the 'warm boot' method. It's still a workaround, but damnit it's the best we've got... for now. To get started, download the Audieee.app from the following page:

http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-101853...s-ugly-stop-gap

You will also need to have the CHUD 4.6.1 dev tools from Apple's developer tools website. I don't think I can post that installer here, but if you do a quick google search or two you will find everything you need to acquire it. You'll need to make sure you don't have AppleHDA.kext installed in your /S/L/E folder, and that you have a working AppleAzalia.kext installed. See the linked post for full instructions. Remember, don't try using the installer for azalia on that linked page - since it's intended target chipset is ALC262 (or some other such chip) it will not have the correct dev. id in the .plist. If you need an Azalia driver for your ALC663, try the one on the bottom of this post.

PS - Tom, welcome to our small sub-community! I'm impressed that you were able to get the mic working. The best I've been able to do with AppleHDA was to get devices showing up in sound prefs but never had any output/input working. I've since lost that kext :( Can you post your AppleHDA.kext file for us to tinker with?

PPS - I am in no way connected with the development of this project, nor am I taking credit for it. Just sharing someone else's great work with the rest of you all! Hope this helps.

I know this thread is probably dead, but hoping someone might see this. I'm wondering if that script can be modified to work with AppleHDA. I just created a fully working mod of AppleHDA for my ALC889 sound card, but requires a warm boot to vista first using MS UAA HD Audio drivers. Hope someone can help :)

• 2 weeks later...

VOODOO is here can we get this to work on the 663 folks?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161638

it works for me - microphone too - just some issues muting the mic when needed not to play back with speakers...

But this works, also u need to install xcode tools, then use this script - sudo ./helper.sh build, then after that sudo ./helper.sh load - done.

works for me!

ALC663 on an Asus G50V

just remove all other codecs, it picks up audio out and notebook speakers seperately.

It even picks up my onboard microphone next to my webcam!

truely remarkable release. hopefully others with 663 will agree.

voodooHDA kext attached

Damn this did not load - on startup on the asus m70-vm - anyone else got some luck....

How did you create the kext from the BUILD command? i can not figure that out - every reboot I have to do the load command - so where is the kext? if you can help me there....

SUCCESS!!!! I have AUDIO OUT and IN with all inputs and outputs recognized!! I'm very impressed and happy! Now all I have to do is find a way to get this Atheros card working and this laptop will be 100% working besides the media card reader.

THANKS!!!

Damn this did not load - on startup on the asus m70-vm - anyone else got some luck....

How did you create the kext from the BUILD command? i can not figure that out - every reboot I have to do the load command - so where is the kext? if you can help me there....

the kext attached does not have to be "built", its a functioning kext... simply put it in your system's extensions folder. use kext helper b7 if youre having trouble, its painless really.

heres hoping it supports your config!

the kext attached does not have to be "built", its a functioning kext... simply put it in your system's extensions folder. use kext helper b7 if youre having trouble, its painless really.

heres hoping it supports your config!

OK i should have been more clear - using the suppiled kext, and using kext help and force -f -v on startup yeilds no sound, now on the voodoo software I was able to build one and it works after using the load command, my question is WHERE does that built KEXT go? i can not find it - after its built, so where do i find it so I can use kext helper to put it in the xtension folder?

OK i should have been more clear - using the suppiled kext, and using kext help and force -f -v on startup yeilds no sound, now on the voodoo software I was able to build one and it works after using the load command, my question is WHERE does that built KEXT go? i can not find it - after its built, so where do i find it so I can use kext helper to put it in the xtension folder?

I didn't use any commands during startup. I just inserted the kext package into the extensions folder after removing all other audio codecs.

I ran it in verbose mode though for the first run, and watched voodoohda pick up my alc663 codec and all open audio jacks including speakers.

What computer do you have?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Lapenskie,

I have the same PC as you. I cannot get VodooHDA working. I get "Couldn't alloc class VoodooHDADevice", "Can't determine immediate dependencies...", "error: couldn't open PCI device" when starting up. Any ideas? Do I need any other kexts or just the VoodooHDA.kext?

EDIT: Nevermind! I used VoodooHDA 0.2.2 and it works great. Thanks for the help!

I didn't use any commands during startup. I just inserted the kext package into the extensions folder after removing all other audio codecs.

I ran it in verbose mode though for the first run, and watched voodoohda pick up my alc663 codec and all open audio jacks including speakers.

What computer do you have?

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone gotten the subwoofer work with the Voodoo?

everything seems to work except the sub..

Same issue here... sound is sooooo tinny. It's no worse than using the Azalia driver I guess. But I booted into windows the other day and I was amazed by how good these little speakers can sound when utilized properly... I miss having bass lol

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i downloaded and installed for ALC 663 on ASUS N50VC the Woodoo Driver at

Woodoo Drivers .

i make a new install with ideneb 1.4 (os x 10.5.6) with update ideneb 10.5.7 and after i ve installed

the woodoo drivers and after a reboot i get sounds :)

works with logic pro 8.0.2 but a small bug with waveburner can't initialized driver...

the output sound on internal speaker is low... i modify prefane woodoo but nothing change :(

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Anyone have a DSDT injection for this yet?

I'm looking for one too ...

I got my sound working (ALC 663) on an asus laptop m70vn with VoodooHDA from 2.2 to 2.7.2.

The only problem is that my subwoofer doesn't work.

Everything work quite well (4 output and 1 input microphone near webcam) even if I put it in deep sleep (not with all version)...

Can someone help me to have my subwoofer working ?

Did someone already got subwoofer from a laptop working ?

Thanks ...

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any idea how to turn off the damn mic? It's making me nuts, it plays through the speakers everything it "hears", super annoying especially if I try to listen to music with earbuds, horrible noises.

Does anyone have any idea how to turn off the damn mic? It's making me nuts, it plays through the speakers everything it "hears", super annoying especially if I try to listen to music with earbuds, horrible noises.

did the same for my asus m50vm with 10.66 64 at boot up only (loud squeal through speakers), only version that works perfect for me is 2.56

In my case I was just being stupid, I didn't spend enough time in system preferences in voodoohda pref pane, all I had to do was slide the monitor button to the left for microhphone but I have to do it every time I boot into os x.

In my case I was just being stupid, I didn't spend enough time in system preferences in voodoohda pref pane, all I had to do was slide the monitor button to the left for microhphone but I have to do it every time I boot into os x.

i've read something on a voodoohda helper that supposed to fix that. try a search for that (i din't need it for voodoohda 2.56)