2009 Live DVD

spartango

123 posts in this topic

Hi! Big thanks to those who made this possible!

Works great for me. I'm using the recent Chameleon as bootloader.

Everything fits on a 4gb usb pen drive (hope that's the right word, in germany we call it "usb stick").

But there's something that bothers me: Can't we place the rc.liveboot thing into the StartupItems?

I gave it a try, but in order that my MacOSX knowledge is not so good, I didn't get it to work.

If someone has an idea or already managed it to work, I'd appreciate a little hint!

Thanks again, greeting from germany,

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any great suggestions to getting this method to work on Apple Hardware? I can get it to boot using chameleon's cdboot (and ISOLINUX sometimes), however, the legacy boot (in Apple's EFI) does not provide proper graphics information, so the machine displays junk. Ideally, a LiveDVD should certainly work on Apple hardware at all times, but this does not as we have loss of device information in the EFI -> Legacy Boot -> Chameleon sequence.

It comes down to, is there any (already known) way to trick the Apple EFI to do a netboot locally like we are doing with chameleon?

• 2 weeks later...

Although I can understand most of this, the one thing that confuses me in your instructions is "Regenerate Extensions.mkext" I understand a little bit about OSx86, but this is beyond my realm. Also, for "all its plugins," which kexts do you mean? I don't know how to figure out which kexts are needed.

Thanks in advance

TAF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need a new partition to try this out. I am working on a handful of hackintoshes right now and while I have restored extensions in single user mode and when necessary off an install disc, the fact of the matter is that drag, drop and disk utility is a lot faster if I am doing multiple things at once. If I have time to fool with it it becomes no problem.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone package this as a .dmg or a .iso image please? I am kinda new to this and this is my first time trying to use OSx86, and my other attempts have failed (boot-132 (generic.iso), iPCOSx86). It seems that my Acer Aspire 8930g uses a form of UEFI (insyde H2O BIOS) and is apparently incompatible with conventional OSx86 since regular OSx86 is designed for legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. This would be a major help and I would appreciate it very much.

Hmm to get this to work I understand you need to dig pretty deep, I guess it´s not for noobs. Thought I should be able to "get it", been around here for a while now and learned a few things but it´s not enough to make this happend I´m afraid.

Don´t get me wrong now cause this is really cool but the tutorial in it´s seperate parts really needs a rewrite.

One thing, where the heck is etc located? Is it folder or is that you should delete the text extension and just add that line in the script under where it says etc. If so what points to the script and where should I put it?

I don´t mean to be disrespectful or anything and I really apreciate your work so what I´m saying is pretty much - As I see it it´s possible to make this clearer without getting in trouble with apple.

Thanks

Im sure that Im gonna sound like an idiot to any that read this post

I obtained an image iso live dvd 10.5.6 that ended up being 6.29 GB

I burned the iso with MagicISO, PowerISO and then Alcohol 120% with My Dual Layer DVD-R and they all end up with the same file extension cdfs which i know is just another name for standard ISO (or I believe that to be the case anyway). any other image would say 'ISO' for the extension

But the problem is even after Ive checked the file with md5 and it states no read errors it simply wont boot from DVD with the BIOS set to boot it that way

Something that I noticed is the dmg image files in there, there are 3, filler.dmg, installer.dmg and live.dmg

Is this suppose to be put on a usb drive?

Sorry to sound dumb dudes but Im not sure what to do and Ive worn out My Google resource as to find an answer for this

Ive tried 4 different images as well just incase the md5 was lyin' to me

Would anyone be interested in helping Me wise up to the situation?

If nobody replies to this Im just gonna assume that it is a stupid question and i will therefor be embarrassed for sure

I try to keep from asking questions hear cause Ive seen the tolerence level for idiots and I just may be one of those idiots :D

I Am familiar with other distro's such as JaS, iPC, Kalyway just never done the Live DVD

:)

EDIT: I figured out how to convert the image, sorry if i wasted anyone's time with this post

post-111048-1250328477_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got a question here. I have a Macbook Pro from Late 2008. I've been trying to get the Live DVD to work.

Problem is:

My Backup of Leopard 10.5.6 I can only squeeze the image(live.dmg) down to a minimum size of only 4.08gb with Carbon Copy Cloner. And that's with EVERYTHING but the required files not installed. So my first problem is, no matter what I do I cannot mkisofs to add the 4.08gb file to an ISO/HFS mix.

I can however do it just fine with hdiutil makehybrid, but there's one major thing standing in my way. No matter what I've tried, I cannot get rid of the "Image checksum error"; however, if I make the iso with mkisofs and use -boot-load-size 4 it works perfectly, but once again I still cannot fit the 4gb file on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Im sure that Im gonna sound like an idiot to any that read this post

<snip!>

:(

EDIT: I figured out how to convert the image, sorry if i wasted anyone's time with this post

Care to share what you figured out regarding converting the image with another n00b idiot who's also exhausted his Google-fu?

• 2 weeks later...

Instructions are all fine and dandy, but i understood only 3/4's of the instructions there. Is anyone willing to share a working (livedvd.iso) in a torrent file, and post the link it would be much appreciated. Thx... if not just putting it out there:) lol

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Hi! Big thanks to those who made this possible!

Works great for me. I'm using the recent Chameleon as bootloader.

Everything fits on a 4gb usb pen drive (hope that's the right word, in germany we call it "usb stick").

But there's something that bothers me: Can't we place the rc.liveboot thing into the StartupItems?

I gave it a try, but in order that my MacOSX knowledge is not so good, I didn't get it to work.

If someone has an idea or already managed it to work, I'd appreciate a little hint!

Thanks again, greeting from germany,

Stefan "

In America, alot of us call it a "usb stick"! I didn't even know what "pen drive" meant until I looked it up and i'm an American! " (hope that's the right word, in germany we call it "usb stick")." I am part german!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...