Webdesigners

Hiro_

41 posts in this topic

If you wan't to be "seriously", you should differ between webDESIGN and webDEVELOPMENT.

And there's not single way "to do things correctly".

I am working for large scale internet portals (up to 60 million PI's a day) for years now and you'll find coders who do the backend with Eclipse (or similar tools) and designers who use Macromedia MX and Dreamweaver who do the design. Another - not yet unusual - way: the creatives do they work completely in photoshop (assuming that there is no flash needed) and the backend-coder slices this photoshop file to a stripped down html/jsp/php-file.

dripple

I absolutely agree. You seem to know the real workflow.

I've spent the last 4 years working as a graphic and web designer... I've always headed up smallish agencies, so unless we have database driven stuff to get done (which gets handed to a web developer) then we do it allourselves. Design in our place is split between Photoshop (well, fireworks for interface design in my case... a much faster an more efficient workflow, and it's not such bloatware as PS) and then using either textmate or Dreamweaver to build the sites. We don't use DW in graphical mode... But we do use is cause it can do some handy things if you need it to. Its asset management if you have a large site with lots of content is very good, and once you have a back end built for a database driven site it is handy to be able to hook into it from your development platform to check how everything works with your pages. I'm also a huge fan of some of the new stuff DW8 does... Like the collapsible code feature... Which is brilliant for making a fist full of code easier to navigate. Also, the templates and optinal regions features are handy, to be able to set up a master page and only have to edit content, and have DW do all the hard work of re-linking pages and images etc, is a massive timesaver.

Dreamweaver's got some cool things in it, page validation, link checking, find and replace, templates, built in java scripts, awesome css support, code writing, etc, etc. It's obviously bloated, but once Aobde realeases version 9, it is going to be so sweet. Updated Adobe user interface (can the crappy macromedia interface, why are macromedia interfaces so child-like, if you know what i mean, like "kidsPix"?) will kick arse, better photoshop/imageready intergration. I cannot wait, argg still months and months to go.

I've tried almost every single app you guys have mentioned, and I think the best one by far is skEdit. I love the auto-tabbing, code hinting, and the code snippets feature. I love how simple the interface is. Just a simple looking text editor with no bloat. Code snippets makes me extremely productive. for example:

Instead of typing <div id=""></div>, I set up a code snippet where all I have to do is type divid and hit enter. It then pastes my code snippet. If I want to enter a h1 heading, I type h1, hit enter, and all the code appears for an h1 heading. I also created code snippets for the types of CSS layouts I commonly use. For example, if I want my CSS skeleton for a 2 column layout, I just type 2column, and it pastes my custom code snippet for a 2 column layout. If I want a 2 column centered layout, I type 2columncenter, hit enter, and I get my 2 column centered snippet. If I wanted a 3 column layout, I just type 3column and hit enter. I think you get the point. I am just trying to explain how powerful the code snippets feature is. I have other snippets for my fluid layouts too. Programming all your snippets is time consuming, but if you do a lot of web design, the productivity increase is amazing.

This is not a wysiwyg editor, so if you aren't confident in your html/css skills, this is not for you. If you are good at html/css and want something to increase your productivity, this tool is for you. This is the text editor I have been searching for for years. There are some things I like better about TextMate (such as code handling from copying and pasting, and the ability to hide code from view), but I find skEdit much faster, and the code hinting and code autocompletion is better. The skEdit developers are working on a code hiding feature for the next release.

http://www.skti.org/skEdit.php

I like Dreamweaver, not because it's WYSIWIG, I don't use any of that nonsense; it pisses me off, inserting nbsp everywhere.

Dreamweaver is king for me because of its searching features, working on a site with hundreds of html's, scores of css' and dozens of javascripts is much easier with the site management features and being able to search for a particular function, getting a preview of the code, lovely.

I would love to work under OSX, but I aint going to until I can buy it for my PC. Frankly Apple hardware is wickity whack! My PC looks better and performs better, I aren't going to be spending twice as much on hardware that's half as good, only a fool would.

Sort it out Apple, let me use your OS on my computer, its lovely.

• 4 weeks later...
I find coding sites in Smultron is perfect for me. I dabble in CSS, PHP, ASP, XML & good ole html, all of which I have worked on in Smultron.

If you really must have a wysiwyg editor than Dreamweaver is excellent, until adobe screws it up that is.

Just discovered it, many thanks!

MacUpDate sports a lot of these tools: http://www.macupdate.com/development.php

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my mind about skedit (from my post earlier). While it is indeed a great text editor, after giving textmate a little more time, I find that textmate is the best. If you develop ajax sites, textmate is your best choice.

"you need nbsp for page validation"

No you don't. It puts it in because old netscapes cry when theres an empty table cell.

What is Zend?

He's probably referring to Zend Studio Client - http://www.zend.com. The people behind Zend created the PHP language. I use it, but not for web DESIGN. I use FrontPage for DESIGN and then Zend Studio Client for cleaning out the MS specific stuff and DEVELOPING in PHP.

Don't want to make it sound like I'm yelling at you with the design & development, just trying to point out the difference as others have in the thread thus far.

• 2 months later...

"Another - not yet unusual - way: the creatives do they work completely in photoshop (assuming that there is no flash needed) and the backend-coder slices this photoshop file to a stripped down html/jsp/php-file."

Wow! Everything with Photoshop´s slices? Is that right or my english is getting worse?

I like Dreamweaver very much; I´m not familiar with php, but the software does quite a good job.

Junio Vitorino, somos vizinhos! Sou de B.H, região da Pampulha.

No, your english is right. One large PS file for each screen because creatives do all the work with PS. We have to slice them and crunch the 32MB 300dpi photorealistic file down to a 120kb HTML file with some gifs and jpgs :hysterical:

Nice! I create all my website´s layouts with Photoshop; but I don´t like slices (don´t know why...). I prefer working with several layers: each one for each part of the layout.