ALC889A, Gigabyte (Intel): now having a working front mic

ALC889aALC898 ALC887(H87M-HD3) ALC662(945GCM-S2L)

• Please log in to reply
1152 replies to this topic

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

What is the difference between ALC889A 1056 Fix. zip and AppleHDA 10.5.6?
Both contain AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext
I tried ALC889A 1056 Fix on my iPC 10.5.6 PPF2 installation.
I am happy that Front Mic & Earphone working :) .
However lost sound on speaker :P .
The usual Speaker (internal) is missing in out tab :( .
What is showing is headphone. No sound out from the back green port.
What is required to get sound back on speaker?
Thanks for your time.
Have a nice day. :)

Actually both are the same. If you plug headphone in, front speakers (back green port) will be muted automatically. Until you unplug your headphone, you should hear sound from front speakers again. In System Profile/Sound, if you plug headphone in, the name of Internal Speakers will be changed to Headphones.

I made a freshretail install LTL Retail Install with the "fix" kext and now it's ok.
Don't know why...

@longtom

The kext you are using is an old kext (patched), not 1.5.7a24 or 1.6.2a37 (latest one). So, you will not have problem with "pop up/cracking sound."

I also edited an old kext and posted it on Nov 25, 2008. This link is GA ALC889A.zip.

P.S. I am now using AppleHDA.kext 1.6.2a37 by lagacy method from /Extra/Extensions.mkext and working fine.

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Actually both are the same. If you plug headphone in, front speakers (back green port) will be muted automatically. Until you unplug your headphone, you should hear sound from front speakers again. In System Profile/Sound, if you plug headphone in, the name of Internal Speakers will be changed to Headphones.

@longtom

The kext you are using is an old kext (patched), not 1.5.7a24 or 1.6.2a37 (latest one). So, you will not have problem with "pop up/cracking sound."

I also edited an old kext and posted it on Nov 25, 2008. This link is GA ALC889A.zip.

P.S. I am now using AppleHDA.kext 1.6.2a37 by lagacy method from /Extra/Extensions.mkext and working fine.

ok, thanks!

Can you tell me shortly how to use the Extra folder?
Which kext to put in /Extra?
Which kext remains in S/L/E?
How to create an Extensions.mkext in /Extra folder?

Thanks!

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

ok, thanks!

Can you tell me shortly how to use the Extra folder?

Thanks!

@longtom

--- removed since Chameleon 2 has been developed in advance.

All are vanilla kexts (unpatched kexts).

deleted

First, you should try to install latest bootloader and install latest modded AppleSMBIOS.kext published by karaakeha1 in S/L/E. Then, install modded AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext in S/L/E. And test your sound. I did on my another partition which runs "iPC."

longtom

longtom

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

@longtom

--- See my attached file. kext_1.zip

All are vanilla kexts (unpatched kexts).

use latest bootloader. Attached File  EFI9_chamelon_bootloader.zip   861.85KB   57 downloads to create /Extra and get mkext tool by ~pcwiz at ###### to create/unpack Extensions.mkext.

First, you should try to install latest bootloader and install latest modded AppleSMBIOS.kext published by karaakeha1 in S/L/E. Then, install modded AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext in S/L/E. And test your sound. I did on my another partition which runs "iPC."

So if ok then i put in s/l/e back the vanilla files and create an extensions.mkext of all modded kext in extra?

Can i put the plain kext files or do i have to create extensions.mkext?

What is the advantage of the extra folder vs s/l/e?

Thanks again!

sylvester328

sylvester328

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Many thanks!!

It works on my GA p45 ds3r

And a Happy New Year for all of you!!!

regards

I have the same board but couldn't get the front green headphone port to work. It wouldn't mute the back speaker as described in first post.

The back grey line-out doesn't work as well (I have only two line-out's in sound output preference, rather than 3 as demonstrated in the screen dumps!)

Any ideas?

thorazine74

thorazine74

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Here with GA EP35C-DS3R I get more or less the same results: 3 line-out devices in System Profiler but only 2 devices in sound preferences.
Also front headphone doesnt work, no sound and device name doesnt change when plugging it in.

I used ALC889A_1056_fix.zip

EDIT: I just read that front panel must support HDA, mine does not, so I guess thats the reason for no speaker-headphones auto detection :-(
Is it posible to modify that? I think vast majority of front panels are not HDA compatible so jack plugging detection will not work in them.

rramon

rramon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Sorry, but Im confused as well :(

Running on vanilla 10.5.6 with compatible hda front audio (alc889a).
Would like to give this a try and get the maximum profit from the new version (muting of speakers while plugging headphone in, analog&digital out, mic, no cracking sound)..
But I dont know which files I should use.

Thanks in advance! :P

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Sorry, but Im confused as well :blink:

Running on vanilla 10.5.6 with compatible hda front audio (alc889a).
Would like to give this a try and get the maximum profit from the new version (muting of speakers while plugging headphone in, analog&digital out, mic, no cracking sound)..
But I dont know which files I should use.

Thanks in advance! :)

@rramon

I just uploaded AppleHDA.kext(s). So, you can choose which one is the best for you. Don't forget to read "readme.pdf."

rramon

rramon

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
this driver is amazing ;)
absolute crystal clear sound (headphone/muting works)!
thank you!

Hurrycane-j

Hurrycane-j

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Girls...
I found this one http://forum.insanel...t...st&id=27629
It is a ALC889.pkg that installs very easy and works very fine.
I didn't need to patch anything. Just install the .pkg and listen :-)

Rik26

Rik26

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Thanks for work!!! I'm using 1.5.7a24 4outs3ins analog regular kext: sound is perfect and clear but i have this error in console

24/01/09 05:53:59 kernel Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2396 goto Exit

I've read errors.pdf but I haven't found this one... How can I fix it? Thank in advance

P.s I can't use modded AppleSMBIOS because I use original one with AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

Rik26

Rik26

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Thanks for work!!! I'm using 1.5.7a24 4outs3ins analog regular kext: sound is perfect and clear but i have this error in console

24/01/09 05:53:59 kernel Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2396 goto Exit

I've read errors.pdf but I haven't found this one... How can I fix it? Thank in advance

P.s I can't use modded AppleSMBIOS because I use original one with AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

Same error with 1.6.2.a37 3outs3ins regular kext at boot and when I listen music. Sound is perfect and clear.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Same error with 1.6.2.a37 3outs3ins regular kext at boot and when I listen music. Sound is perfect and clear.

Thank for your reply. I will test all regular kexts and find out what is wrong tonight.

Bit Shoveler

Bit Shoveler

InsanelyMac Geek

• Coders
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hackable Macs
I tried your Lagacy 4+3 analog HD headphone and it worked nicely! Now to figure out which combo I really need.

Thanks tmongkol!

Colaly

Colaly

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I Tried your new Lagacy_4outs3ins_analog_HDA_headphone.
Sound work!
Thanks!

But I have one error.
Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in
"/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler
Read errors.pdf,can't fix this error.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

I just uploaded AppleHDA.kext(s). So, you can choose which one is the best for you. Don't forget to read "readme.pdf."

Hi tmongkol, I have an issue with the Digital Out.

If I use the 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA for 888 from post #12 I could have 5.1 on the digital (Encoded Digital Audio option apears on Audio MiDi setup).

But if I use Legacy HDA with 1.6.2a37 vanilla kext the Digital Out can handle only stereo output (Encoded Digital Audio option doesn't apear on Audio MiDi setup).
Even if I copy the values from the 1.5.7a24 kext to the legacy kext that option still wont appear. So do you have an idea where could be the difference to make the 5.1 out available?

Rik26

Rik26

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Thank for your reply. I will test all regular kexts and find out what is wrong tonight.

Thank you too for your work! Your contribute is important for most users!

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

@Rik26

First, I thought it's maybe about my CodeVerbs and front audio kit. I removed front audio kit (not support HDA) from a cheap case, and I connected it to EP35-DS3P. I tested many kexts without issues. Finally, I built Extensions.mkext, including AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext, and tested some of my edited kexts. I found the problem as followings:

1.6.2a37 3+3 digital regular + AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2645 goto Exit
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2645 goto Exit
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2678 goto Exit
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2678 goto Exit

------------
1.5.7a24 4+3 analog regular + AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2363 goto Exit
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2396 goto Exit
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2396 goto Exit
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == entry" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDA/AppleHDAEngine.cpp" at line 2363 goto Exit

------------
1.5.7a24 3+3 digital HDA + AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

To solve the issue is to use SMBIOSResolver.kext or latest modded AppleSMBIOS.kext instead of AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext. However, if you are using SMBIOSResolver.kext and listening to music, you will hear unlike popup sound at the beginning.

Note:

While I am typing this reply and listening to music, my regular front kit is still connected to MOBO. I will test AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext and HDA front audio kit. ---> tested and got the same issues.

If you didn't tell me that you want to use AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext, I might not find out what cause is.

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Hi tmongkol, I have an issue with the Digital Out.

If I use the 1.5.7a24 AppleHDA for 888 from post #12 I could have 5.1 on the digital (Encoded Digital Audio option apears on Audio MiDi setup).

But if I use Legacy HDA with 1.6.2a37 vanilla kext the Digital Out can handle only stereo output (Encoded Digital Audio option doesn't apear on Audio MiDi setup).
Even if I copy the values from the 1.5.7a24 kext to the legacy kext that option still wont appear. So do you have an idea where could be the difference to make the 5.1 out available?

@macgirl

I am studying your case. Can you tell me what legacy you are using? Did you try to use stickpin's legacy for 888? I will try to fine out although I don't have MOBO w/ALC888. Also, can you submit your edited legacy?

From my experience, I could not get optical output (red light is off.), unless I have to use the latest modded AppleSMBIOS.kext. I will test my coaxial output tomorrow because I have to move my receiver close to PC.

While I am using Boot-132 w/SMBIOSResolver.kext (red light's optical output's off.), I can select Digital Output for setting Aggregate Devices.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
here are the kexts:

Attached File  AppleHDA.kext.zip   598.2KB   200 downloads
Attached File  legacyhda888.zip   6.71KB   165 downloads

With Legacy kexts
Attached File  Picture_1.png   58.01KB   413 downloads

Widh 1.5.x moded
Attached File  Picture_2.png   59.35KB   304 downloads

EDIT:
I use AppleSMBIOSEFI but also tested with SMBIOSResolver (same thing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy