›› Voodoo XNU Kernel is now Released

mercurysquad

Voodoo kernel release  

1,280 members have voted

1. 1. Has Voodoo kernel been working well for you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. On which processor do you use this kernel?

• Intel
    • AMD
  3. 3. Did you use the installer or installed manually?

• Manually
    • Installer, worked well
    • Installer, but didn't work well

561 posts in this topic

The Voodoo 1.0 release (9.5 kernel) seems to be causing my machine to spontaneously reboot during startup.

I'm using an Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard with a Phenom II 955 and DDR3 memory. I started by installing LawlessPPC (10.5.4) (after patching it with the SB700 kexts). Once that was up and running (and before doing anything else), I installed the Voodoo kernel using the installation package. On rebooting, the machine just reboots during startup, fairly soon in the process.

I've also tried installing iPC, iATKOS, and iDeneb releases with the same issue (that is, the install DVD reboots during startup -- I never managed to get into the installer with these releases).

Any ideas?

You are tring to install a 10.5.5 kernel on a 10.5.4 system, update to 10.5.5 to use voodoo 9.5

• 3 months later...

If there is the need to help in translations from documentation to Portuguese (Portugal) I can help with those. I've done in the past the translations of linux kernel video devices documentation and I also was in charge of the old PLUG (Portuguese Linux Users Group) Documentation (PLUG doesn't exist anynome, now it's just linux.pt).

Drop me a message.

I have 10.5.6 installed, and when I am using the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel my nVidia Geforce 6600 PCI works fine (with everything enabled etc) but when I switch to the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, my graphics card doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced this?

• 1 month later...
I have 10.5.6 installed, and when I am using the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel my nVidia Geforce 6600 PCI works fine (with everything enabled etc) but when I switch to the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, my graphics card doesn't work. Has anyone else experienced this?

"how" does it not work? no acceleration?

• 2 months later...

i want to post my little contributions, it's a patch fixing the kernel panic

Local Apic Error , ESR 64\n"@/sourcecache/xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/osmfk/i386/lapic.c

that occur when booting without the cpus=1 boot flags in Pavilion dv6 and dv7 Series Laptops.

This is a BIOS bug specific to those serie and may be some other Models too !

unlike the Apocolypse fix that just redirect the output message for the error which is still there with this patch there is no more error.

Some explanation:

I have discovered that's the error ESR 64 is due to improper setting for LVT_INT0 and LVT_INT1 (32-bit registre of LVT Local Vector Table in the Local apic,

you can found the reference in Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual Volume 3A: System Programming Guide, Part 1, Chapter 10.5: Handling Local Interrupts, available for free download from intel website)

LVT_INT0, LVT_INT1 are both reported as being Vector=0x00, Delivery Mode=Fixed, Polarity=Hight, Trigger Mode=Edge, Mask=1 for ExtINT and 0 for NMI

browsing throught some apic source code for Linux, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD i have found that

Trigger Mode should be set to ExtINT for LVT_INT0 and to NMI for LVT_INT1.

i have added the proper setting in the lapic_configure() function of the lapic.c file

in the attachement you have the patched lapic.c and the diff file against the original lapic.c

NB: lapic.c file is from xnu-1228.15.4 source code for Leopard 10.5.8

and here is the link for a patched kernel for leopard 10.5.8 (for testing purpose)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8HA6VVI9

lapic_patch.zip

• 3 weeks later...

please help me!

i'm trying to install OSx 10.5.6 on my laptop Toshiba Satellite L505D with windows 7 installed. partitions already created.

after reboot i get this panic attack. i've read HCl wikis and i know my processor is not listed. is there a workaround?

Laptop specs:

AMD athlon x2 QL-65 64bit 2.1ghz

3gb ram

SSE(1,2,3)

insyde H20 1.40 bios.

ATI HD3100

i tried using cpus=1 and acpi=off but i still get the Local APIC error.

post-618087-1274057407_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...