• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

simsim

simsim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
I cloned my hard drive and tried an update to 10.5.8 (w 10.5.6 kernel) and I also got that problem with sleep. It seems the hard drive spins down and the screen blacks out but the fans on the motherboard keep spinning. Theres no waking up when you press keys or move mouse.

balderdashian

balderdashian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

. . Hi - thanks for the link; but suspect this is GPU-limited.

Do you see high CPU loading? Running on a similar mobo (ION platform with an Atom 330) I see 100% - of 400%, HTT enabled running vanilla kernel 10.5.6 - & the demo runs fluently.

I have two cores, it runs over 100% of 200%. For me it is not smooth whatsoever. Not even close. Around 1 or 2 frames per second.

flauchhaus

flauchhaus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
for anyone with 10.5.8 sleep problems:
already tried SleepEnabler.kext ?

The reason for the 10.5.8 sleep problems is, that there is a small piece of code added to the new kernel, that tries to shut down all CPUs (except the one running the go-to-sleep code of course when going to sleep. This is implemented by calling the registered PM extension (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement under normal circumstances) and expects a KERN_SUCCESS return value.

However, when there is no PM extension registered (VoodooPower doesn't register itself as one, and probably for a good reason - the PM extension is quite tightly bound to kernel version, so there would have to be one VoodooPower.kext per kernel version), the fallback behavior is to return an error code, which in turn causes the kernel to panic (but you won't see the panic screen because your monitor is already turned off at that point, so it merely appears to hang while going to sleep).

Flays

Flays

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to confirm that 10.5.7 is working with HT, using the second method : 2nd method using 10.5.6 vanilla kernel) Change your 10.5.7 kernel and System.kext with the ones in the package and all runs smoothly, with HT on, no more cpus params.
I had vanilla 10.5.6 and after i used the software update it only worked without HT, after the patch everything was back to normal. Is there any chance this same patch would also work on the 10.5.8 update? Since it is not on rapidshare anymore, you can PM me, and i will send you the files.

simsim

simsim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
SleepEnabler.kext solved my sleep problem, thanks.

10.5.8 with 10.5.6 kernel and system.kext

leoncowle

leoncowle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. Also my 1st venture into OSX territory (I can hear everyone running for the exits already!). :-)

(I'm a unix sysadmin by profession, so feel free to get technical.)

I have the Intel D945GCLF motherboard.

Here's where I've got to. I can boot the 10.5.7 dvd (borrowed it from a friend -- it came with his new macbook pro) using either the boot-132.iso method or the rEFIt Onetrack usb key method. Both result in the installer booting to the Choose Language screen.

However, here I discovered it refuses to see my ps2 mouse & ps2 keyboard. It does, however, see a usb mouse (i have one spare). Do I need to go get a usb keyboard too? I assume so.

Secondly, after choosing the language, it simply says something to the tune of "Can't install Mac OS X on this computer". The installer log shows something about failing to find/set (can't remember now) a UUID for this computer (error 35) and then in the next line "OSInstaller: Checks failed".

I tried OcciJano's DSDT too (on the rEFIt usb disk) -- but this doesn't even get to the choose language screen (freezes at blue screen).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Leon

simsim

simsim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
@leoncowle

Are you using a Leopard Retail DVD?

Joe.R

Joe.R

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

However, here I discovered it refuses to see my ps2 mouse & ps2 keyboard. It does, however, see a usb mouse (i have one spare). Do I need to go get a usb keyboard too? I assume so.

Secondly, after choosing the language, it simply says something to the tune of "Can't install Mac OS X on this computer". The installer log shows something about failing to find/set (can't remember now) a UUID for this computer (error 35) and then in the next line "OSInstaller: Checks failed".

USB keyboard and mouse are needed for the install. You can use PS2 peripherals but only after you install the needed Kext to enable them. Leopard doesn't like legacy ports like the parallel and ps2.

Also, use a retail Leopard DVD. I've read about people using the Macbook and iMac install DVDs but it is difficult. For sanity sake, go retail.

nmiljac

nmiljac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've got the retail DVD install and boot on the D945GCLF with a Realtek 8169SC card.
Actually have successfully upgraded the system to 10.5.8.
Now I've bought a nice motherboard ... ASRock A330GC ... essentially very similar to D945GCLF2 but accepts 4GB RAM and can overclock to 2.1 GHz in BIOS.
When trying to boot the installed kernel the retail installed system and the DVD, plus the distors including iDeneb and iAtkos (installed systems) on ASRock don't get past the "Using xxxx buffer headers ......." message. Obviously the ACPI stuff ... any hint to where to look?

thanks a lot for any info that can help.

BTW, great work guys!

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

I've got the retail DVD install and boot on the D945GCLF with a Realtek 8169SC card.
Actually have successfully upgraded the system to 10.5.8.
Now I've bought a nice motherboard ... ASRock A330GC ... essentially very similar to D945GCLF2 but accepts 4GB RAM and can overclock to 2.1 GHz in BIOS.
When trying to boot the installed kernel the retail installed system and the DVD, plus the distors including iDeneb and iAtkos (installed systems) on ASRock don't get past the "Using xxxx buffer headers ......." message. Obviously the ACPI stuff ... any hint to where to look?

thanks a lot for any info that can help.

BTW, great work guys!

. . . . to get the thing to boot try using the switch:

cpus=1

. . . for proper function you'll need to make then use a dsdt.aml with the CPU alias' removed.

Fire up your mobo with a bootable Linux CD [I use Parted Magic for this], then at a Terminal

cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Look in root for the file you've just made, copy to a USB stick

Get a copy of iasl, put in same folder with your dsdt.aml, cd a Terminal to this folder:

./iasl -d dsdt.aml

[gives you a dsdt.dsl you can open with a text editor]

Remove CPU alias' then save.

./iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

. . . you'll have a new dsdt.aml, which can be installed to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

You can then boot OSX - the 10.5.6 kernel w/ HTT enabled.

nmiljac

nmiljac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

. . . . to get the thing to boot try using the switch:

cpus=1

. . . for proper function you'll need to make then use a dsdt.aml with the CPU alias' removed.

Fire up your mobo with a bootable Linux CD [I use Parted Magic for this], then at a Terminal

cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Look in root for the file you've just made, copy to a USB stick

Get a copy of iasl, put in same folder with your dsdt.aml, cd a Terminal to this folder:

./iasl -d dsdt.aml

[gives you a dsdt.dsl you can open with a text editor]

Remove CPU alias' then save.

./iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

. . . you'll have a new dsdt.aml, which can be installed to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

You can then boot OSX - the 10.5.6 kernel w/ HTT enabled.

Thanks a lot for the info!
I will try it in the evening. Will post the results.
Already tried the cpus=1 with no result.
I feel this could be a nice small Mac [with 4 GB] - the Kubuntu 9.04 on this machine just rocks!

nmiljac

nmiljac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've got it booting (iAtkos v7) with cpus=1.
Patched DSDT.aml (removed processor aliases and recompiled) now causes kernel panics.
The machine still boots with cpus=1.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

I've got it booting (iAtkos v7) with cpus=1.
Patched DSDT.aml (removed processor aliases and recompiled) now causes kernel panics.
The machine still boots with cpus=1.

. . . turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS if using any kernel later than 10.5.6 [this includes the current voodoo kernel]. Check No-Execute Protection is enabled in the CPU section of the BIOS. Your dsdt should be good to go.

. . . perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new thread devoted to your Asus mobo.

nmiljac

nmiljac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

. . . turn off hyperthreading in the BIOS if using any kernel later than 10.5.6 [this includes the current voodoo kernel]. Check No-Execute Protection is enabled in the CPU section of the BIOS. Your dsdt should be good to go.

. . . perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new thread devoted to your Asus mobo.

I don't believe it needs a separate thread .... after switching No-Exec protection on
it boots with my DSDT and cpus=2. I have noticed that hyperthreading can be left on.
Now ... I'd like to modify the boot132 CD to work with my DSDT to boot the retail. Any hints to that?

And .... many thanks for help and useful hints!

balderdashian

balderdashian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I tested Snow Leopard retail on this board using the guide (not specific to this board) that shows up on several pages after a Google search. I added the Intel GMA 950 EFI strings.

Can't get it to boot without a panic. Normally gives an error saying it expected 2 cores on the die and only found 1. cpus=1 or cpus=2 doesn't solve it. Disabling Hyperthreading in the BIOS does, but then a different error occurs (something about net.osrom.kext disabler).

Exia25

Exia25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
So now to boot into mac 10.5.8 with HT must key in cpus=2? Is there other method to boot in with HT?

iSynapse

iSynapse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

So now to boot into mac 10.5.8 with HT must key in cpus=2? Is there other method to boot in with HT?

Yeah...kernel from 10.5.6 and System.kext or some VooDoo kernel...

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
Intel D945GCLF2: might be interesting for someone why AppleHDA.kext didn't work if it's loaded. see the following pictures. I hope you can see what are different. However, I have no idea how to fix AppleHDA.kext working on this board.

AppleHDA.kext was loaded, but no sound.
Attached File  Atom_01.jpg   444.14KB   34 downloads

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext was loaded.
Attached File  Atom_02.jpg   442.34KB   25 downloads

VoodooHDA.kext was loaded.
Attached File  Atom_03.jpg   437KB   28 downloads

dqb

dqb

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I've gotten 10.6 to work on my D945GCLF2.

I installed to separate partition, had to replace IOATAFamily kext with the one from Leopard or it would panic on boot. Also added the appleazaliaaudio kext. I'm using the fakesmc.kext for Snow Leopard, as it wouldn't boot with the SL dsmos.kext. Get rid of disabler.kext. It was causing panics or at least error messages when I had it installed.

Also, it only works in 32 bit mode. I had to put arch=i386 in the boot plist to get it to boot correctly. And I think it only works with hyperthreading disabled. GMA950 works with stock kexts, I've got all resolutions and a transparent menu bar.

I'm going to mess with it a bit more and make sure it's all working correctly. I'll come back and describe what I did in more detail then.

Exia25

Exia25

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Yeah...kernel from 10.5.6 and System.kext or some VooDoo kernel...

How to get e kernel and system.kext that u say? can teach me??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy