446 replies to this topic

FilterPunk

FilterPunk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Hi Guys,
I have a "clean" retail OS X Server Installation and sure had the same problems. Booting with cpus=1 does work, but I found out that then USB is crippled to 12 MBit (USB 1.1). My Elgato EyeTV Stick left no room for speculation and gave a precise error before it stopped working.
Thanks to fuka it now works again. Disabling hyperthreading is the much better cure. At least for now.
But what are we going to do next?
Is hyperthreading actually used in any real macs?

Onetrack

Onetrack

one who makes the world tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
So there is a bit of a performance loss by dropping out HT, not very noticeable in just running apps.. compression / any integer work will possibly see about a 20% increase in time.

I ran some test benchmarks in my uEfi install before I junp into .7 - results are here:

With HT
http://browse.geekbe...ch2/view/134698

Without HT
http://browse.geekbe...ch2/view/134703

more to come.

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
10.5.6 RETAIL INSTALLATION

Working on 10.5.7 - dropping the hyperthreading currently works with the combo update as mentioned before in this thread

New installation method - Proper DSDT.aml file built specifically for the 945GCLF2 motherboard

Hey folks.. I've got a new way to install here for you - at this link http://rapidshare.co...f2_new.rar.html
you will find an install kit for uEFI for this motherboard.

Inside the package is a specific to the 945gclf2 dsdt.aml file, a bootsector kit, and all the files you
should have on your flash key.
Note this install does NOT use chameleon at all. No modified kernels and must be installed from a
retail installation disk (meaning no ideneb, kalyway,etc )

Apple Installation disk only !

Download the archive - you must get it to a working windows computer as the bootsector/flash key
boot enabler must be run there.

Unarchive the file, inside you will find the Bootsector app, Kext Helper B7, the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
and the New 945GCLF2 Install Kit.zip

First, get a flash key, min 32 megs - pop it in your windows computer so its recognized
- note the drive letter, e: d: f: whatever it is.

Copy the bootsector directory to your desktop
Go into CMD, cd to the Desktop\bootsector\ directory type at the prompt
makeusb.bat [drive letter] ie: makeusb.bat f: [enter]

This will format the flash key and make the usb drive bootable.

You must unplug / replug the USB key to work properly before you copy the 945gclf2 files to it!

next, unzip the New 945GCLF2 Install kit to the freshly formatted flash key
so that efi, extra kext, kext unused folders and the files including DSDT.aml are in the root.

Put that flash key into a free usb port on the 945gclf2

go into bios, set your boot order to ' always boot from usb devices first ' (cant remember off the top
of my head, but its in the boot menu)

Have your installation disk in the drive

Boot up, you'll see a cursor for a few seconds, then a bar moving from left to right across the bottom
of the screen - saying ' hit any key to enter setup' dont, just sit and wait a moment

You now get a really nice graphical rEFIt screen, showing your drive to boot from - select the install
disk.. follow through with a normal retail installation.

Note - proper resolution, QE/CI is already enabled, you will see a ton of scrolling text - this is because
I have the loader set in verbose mode in case there are any problems - we will change this later.

Once the installation is complete, the computer will automatically restart - select the installed
OSX hd icon in rEFIt - this will boot you to the welcome screen..

After you hit the desktop - copy over AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and the RealtekR1000.kext
(which is located on the usb drive in Kext Unused) and install them using Kext Helper - reboot

You will now have full audio out, qe/ci, proper resolution with resolution change, bonjour as
well as Real Time Clock, Hpet (sleep, shutdown, restart) 945 GMA 950 Graphics and Gigabit
ethernet with Bonjour enabled.

Have fun.

Special thanks to Stellarolla and the guys behind the rEFIt project

Cheers,
Onetrack.

link updated - re-uploaded to RS

balderdashian

balderdashian

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Col. Tigh,

Does this new method allow you to update to 10.5.7 without having to disable hyperthreading?

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Col. Tigh,

Does this new method allow you to update to 10.5.7 without having to disable hyperthreading?

At this point no. It's possible you could try using the kernel from 10.5.6 to see if that allows the use of HT.

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Col. Tigh,

I have not tested as yet.

I had this installed with nearly the same install method and the other dsdt, failed..

will try this soon.. would like to resolve it.

sugoruyo

sugoruyo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@Onetrack: I was hoping to try your method but it seems the file can no longer be downloaded from rapidshare.

Beklyn

Beklyn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

@Onetrack: I was hoping to try your method but it seems the file can no longer be downloaded from rapidshare.

Just made a Mirror ;)

http://www.2shared.c...5gclf2_new.html
http://rapidshare.de...f2_new.rar.html

Beklyn

Beklyn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
usbbs32.bin is missing in the File so it wont work!

[codebox]Format H: ...
Create boot sector ...
ERROR: Read DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
ERROR: Write DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
ERROR: Write MBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!
Could Not Find C:\Users\Beklyn\Desktop\945gclf2_new\bootsector\usbbs32.bin
Done.
RePlug device before using it![/codebox]

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I updated the RS link and there are 2 mirrors now courtesy of Beklyn

usbbs32.bin is missing in the File so it wont work!

Format H: ...Create boot sector ...ERROR: Read DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!ERROR: Write DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!ERROR: Write MBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x5)!Could Not Find C:\Users\Beklyn\Desktop\945gclf2_new\bootsector\usbbs32.binDone.RePlug device before using it!

If you use the trailing slash you'll get this error - remove the trailing slash and it'll create the bootable usb
wrong way f: is just an example here as it is what my flashkey shows up as

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector>makeusb.bat f:\
Format f:\ ...
Create boot sector ...
error E2003: File was not provided!
ERROR: Read DBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x3)!
ERROR: Read MBR: failed - Failed to create files (LastError: 0x3)!
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector\usbbs3
2.bin
Done.
RePlug device before using it!

right way
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector>makeusb.bat f:
Format f: ...
Create boot sector ...
Read DBR: successful!
Patching FAT32 BPB: successful!
Write DBR: successful!
Write MBR: successful!
Done.
RePlug device before using it!

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\bootsector>

MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG / REPLUG THE USB KEY IN BEFORE YOU COPY ALL OF THE 945GCLF INSTALL KIT FILES TO IT

You'll know this is working if it boots from the key and you get a flashing cursor in the middle of the screen, if you
see one in the top left corner of the screen you forgot to unplug/replug before copying files

Beklyn

Beklyn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Okay it works, but it seems it only Boots after the Install with the USB Stick, if i remove the Stick i just get No Bootable device... any way to fix this ?

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Okay it works, but it seems it only Boots after the Install with the USB Stick, if i remove the Stick i just get No Bootable device... any way to fix this ?

Hey Beklyn - thanks for trying it out.. at the moment since this is a pure vanilla install without even using chameleon as a bootloader or anything - no.
You gotta leave the USB in, as thats what osx boots off of. (where the kexts reside, etc)

I just have a tiny 32 meg usb sitting in the back.. the 945 has enough ports on it, i never miss that one. This solution is more like efix - a dongle permanently attached.

IF you like it, great, if not there are other methods - just tryin to make things easier for people :D

-One

kernalzero

kernalzero

aesculapius

• Donators
  • 569 posts
so does this EFIx method allow you to install the combo 10.5.7 without disabling HT? and what about using this EFIx key to work with current installs or does it have to be a completely fresh install (original install was retail)?

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

so does this EFIx method allow you to install the combo 10.5.7 without disabling HT? and what about using this EFIx key to work with current installs or does it have to be a completely fresh install (original install was retail)?

I'm about to find out

we'll see..

UPDATE:

success !
10.5.7 is installed without disabling Hyperthreading using this new install method.
Download the 10.5.7 combo update from apple - located here: http://support.apple..._7_Combo_Update

run the package - let it reboot -
the first bootup you will see a lot of text.. this time ACPI passes normally - it takes a few minutes then you'll see MACH REBOOT - this is normal

On the 2nd boot up, just let it go, after about 2-3 minutes you'll get to a blue screen with a black mouse, it will flash a couple times, and then you're presented with the login screen or the desktop.

All kexts are still intact, audio etc will be working normally.

You might want to run the ' about this mac ' package, or osx86tools if you want the about this mac to show its an atom processor, it defaults back to 1.6ghz unknown.

BUT IT WORKS
and you don't have to disable HT

Attached Files

stellarola

stellarola

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

It's not EFIx. Try using the dsdt provided from the package.

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
I have a theory for those people who are using a current installation - first off the original dsdt file that was posted in Synapse's installation kit is actually for the previous version of this board, the 945gclf - single core atom.

There are some significant differences in this new board - perhaps someone running synapses install would like to test my DSDT.aml file by replacing their old one in the root drive and see if you can install 10.5.7 from the combo update?

I have a pretty good idea that the hardware differences are causing the halt after the installation.

Someone test, lemme know.

cheers,
One

kernalzero

kernalzero

aesculapius

• Donators
  • 569 posts
my mistake....NOT EFIx.... rEFIt....

anyway, Onetrack, When I installed OSX on this system I built a custom DSDT because I had issues with the originally posted version. I might try to use the guide you put up because i'd rather have a small USB stick that allows for a vanilla system than a patched or old kernel on the EFI partition...i'll let you know when I test it out if I atleast have any luck

Onetrack

Onetrack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

my mistake....NOT EFIx.... rEFIt....

anyway, Onetrack, When I installed OSX on this system I built a custom DSDT because I had issues with the originally posted version. I might try to use the guide you put up because i'd rather have a small USB stick that allows for a vanilla system than a patched or old kernel on the EFI partition...i'll let you know when I test it out if I atleast have any luck

Thanks Kernelzero - Its working for me fine - any questions just PM me or post here - I'm curious to see what your take is.

It is working for me, YMMV

One

smitty244

smitty244

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the dual-core 330 board, and was getting the same kernel panic error unless I turned off hyperthreading. I installed the Voodoo kernel to use for now and everything is working again, including hyperthreading. Everything else is stock, except for the DSDT.aml file (I used an earlier poster's file to fix the graphics problems I was having).

I have a theory for those people who are using a current installation - first off the original dsdt file that was posted in Synapse's installation kit is actually for the previous version of this board, the 945gclf - single core atom.

There are some significant differences in this new board - perhaps someone running synapses install would like to test my DSDT.aml file by replacing their old one in the root drive and see if you can install 10.5.7 from the combo update?

I have a pretty good idea that the hardware differences are causing the halt after the installation.

Someone test, lemme know.

cheers,
One

Beklyn

Beklyn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

I'm about to find out

BUT IT WORKS
and you don't have to disable HT

#

Not working for me i just get a the Kernel Panic screen with HT enabled, works fine with HT off :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy