Atheros AR5007 working but not perfect. Heres the guide.

oldmaclover

430 posts in this topic

I hate to say this, especially being the one who started this thread, but one day I realized that the hours I was spending on this were not at all worth it just for the challenge of it. I went on ebay and within 10 minutes found a BCM4311 internal card that was not on the HP blacklist. When it came I installed it in 10 minutes, reinstalled the standard apple drivers from the retail disk and voilla, it worked. Always. Fast. Done. $7 plus $3 USPS shipping.

I hate to say this, especially being the one who started this thread, but one day I realized that the hours I was spending on this were not at all worth it just for the challenge of it. I went on ebay and within 10 minutes found a BCM4311 internal card that was not on the HP blacklist. When it came I installed it in 10 minutes, reinstalled the standard apple drivers from the retail disk and voilla, it worked. Always. Fast. Done. $7 plus $3 USPS shipping.

Wish I could do this for my Compaq C762NR

OK here is my attempt at a guide:

First, make sure the card is on in another OS and restart. Those of you hoping to not have to dual boot are out of luck right now.

1. Starting from 10.5.5 and a vanilla kernel.

2. Download and install the Airport Update 2008-004. Reboot.

3. Download and install the IO8211Family.kext at the beginning of this thread with Kexthelper unless you feel like doing all of the permission repairs and stuff.

4. Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

5. Reboot. You have a 40% chance of getting a boot without a kernel panic. Just retry, it will eventually reboot fine.

6. Open Kismac before you do anything. Go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one. Active mode does not work. Exit that menu and then click start scan. You will start to see networks. Once you see networks quit Kismac.

7. Now go the airport icon in the top bar and click on Join Other Network. (if the icon is not there you need to go to network preferences and enable the icon.) Then click on show networks. Your network will come up. Click on it, click join and then it will ask you for your network password. Enter that and then it will connect to your network and be stable. You will have to set up a network in the networking preference panel for the airport card just like normal.

On my Presario C771 the WIFI lights are not on blue but the card still works.

When you restart you will sometimes get a kernel error. Just try again. When you restart you will only have to do steps 6 and 7 and will not have to reenter you network password if you put it in your keychain when prompted.

It works everytime I boot now as long as the hardware button on the notebook is not pressed. The network stays on all the time and is fast.

If you also get it to work please let us know.

Pictures attached.

hi,

it worked on my AA1, no kernal panic. sometimes though kismac becomes very slow in scnning. but the biggest problem that I keep getting disconnected from my prefered network, and i have to reconnect every 5 minutes or so, any suggestions?

thanks

OK here is my attempt at a guide:

First, make sure the card is on in another OS and restart. Those of you hoping to not have to dual boot are out of luck right now.

1. Starting from 10.5.5 and a vanilla kernel.

2. Download and install the Airport Update 2008-004. Reboot.

3. Download and install the IO8211Family.kext at the beginning of this thread with Kexthelper unless you feel like doing all of the permission repairs and stuff.

4. Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

5. Reboot. You have a 40% chance of getting a boot without a kernel panic. Just retry, it will eventually reboot fine.

6. Open Kismac before you do anything. Go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one. Active mode does not work. Exit that menu and then click start scan. You will start to see networks. Once you see networks quit Kismac.

7. Now go the airport icon in the top bar and click on Join Other Network. (if the icon is not there you need to go to network preferences and enable the icon.) Then click on show networks. Your network will come up. Click on it, click join and then it will ask you for your network password. Enter that and then it will connect to your network and be stable. You will have to set up a network in the networking preference panel for the airport card just like normal.

On my Presario C771 the WIFI lights are not on blue but the card still works.

When you restart you will sometimes get a kernel error. Just try again. When you restart you will only have to do steps 6 and 7 and will not have to reenter you network password if you put it in your keychain when prompted.

It works everytime I boot now as long as the hardware button on the notebook is not pressed. The network stays on all the time and is fast.

If you also get it to work please let us know.

Pictures attached.

hi,

it worked on my AA1, no kernal panic. sometimes though kismac becomes very slow in scnning. but the biggest problem that I keep getting disconnected from my prefered network, and i have to reconnect every 5 minutes or so, any suggestions?

thanks

I have it working perfectly with this method:

I install the 10.5.5 version with this Tutorial: here.

The Wifi with that method:

1) Library / Preferences / SystemConfiguration / com.apple.boot.plist (edit and just add -f flag):

CODE

<code><key> Kernel </ key>

<string> mach_kernel </ string> <-- (if you have Voodoo kernel string will be different)

<key> Kernel Flags </ key>

<string>-f </ string> </code>

If you have original iATKOs kernel:

CODE

<code><key> Kernel </ key>

<string> mach_kernel </ string>  

<key> Kernel Flags </ key>  

<string>-f cpus=1 </ string> </code>

2/ Airport Update ( http://support.apple.com/downloads/AirPort...pdate_2008_004) & .KEXT (IO80211FamilyAspireOne_A150.kext.zip )

Terminal:

sudo su -

diskutil repairPermissions /

(Restart)

3/ Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

Run network scanning on the Airport Extreme Passive mode one (Add this driver..).

It is working? If you see wifi networks that is 99% success.

4/ Don't forget switch off Airport before system shutdown procedure (after reboot you must switch on airport, next go to the Kismet and run network scanning - after this procedure WiFi networks will be available in the Airport).

--------------

If this procedure does not work correctly, repeat:

a) O80211FamilyAspireOne_A150.kext.zip

Terminal:

sudo su -

diskutil repairPermissions /

{restart}

Anybody install the 10.5.6 and have luck with that? :D

I upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6, and put my 5007 in to go through the rebranding process from another post, and lo and behold when i booted OSX it worked perfectly without doing a thing, dunno how or why. Works great in backtrack linux as well, cracks wep keys with ease 8)

I upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6, and put my 5007 in to go through the rebranding process from another post, and lo and behold when i booted OSX it worked perfectly without doing a thing, dunno how or why. Works great in backtrack linux as well, cracks wep keys with ease 8)

Do you have a link to the post you used to do the rebranding process? I've have tried all weekend to get my AR5007EG to work under both 10.5.5 and 10.5.6, and while sometimes I can get it to recognize (and once even got it to detect networks), I have yet to have it connect. :-( I'll try basically anything at this point. I've reinstalled the entire OS like 15 times.

Could you please write us a toturial, or some hints?

Thanks!

Yes, please, can yo comment about that? Thanks :gathering:. I need that because the iLife 09 only can funct in the 10.5.6.

Do you have a link to the post you used to do the rebranding process? I've have tried all weekend to get my AR5007EG to work under both 10.5.5 and 10.5.6, and while sometimes I can get it to recognize (and once even got it to detect networks), I have yet to have it connect. :-( I'll try basically anything at this point. I've reinstalled the entire OS like 15 times.

With the 10.5.5, did you try to reinstall the kext?, during yesterday I only can watch one network called '<any_ssid>' with mode 'probe' and when I reinstall the kexts the network worked perfectly. I do this about six times today :)  , I always forget to disconnect the airport when I restart or shutdown the mac.

Hi....

Plz i need serious help i install my iatkos yesterday and now i can't connect to my network or cable and when i go to network in system preferences the airport is off and i can't turn on...i already try the things you said to do in this tutorial and don't work and i don't have airport passive mode one ... plz help me i apreciate.

cumps

Hi....

Plz i need serious help i install my iatkos yesterday and now i can't connect to my network or cable and when i go to network in system preferences the airport is off and i can't turn on...i already try the things you said to do in this tutorial and don't work and i don't have airport passive mode one ... plz help me i apreciate.

cumps

Ok, say me what do you do to install the OS X. You need to install exactly with the tutorial without 10.5.6. Install the driver with the aplication to install kexts of the tutorial , "Kext Helper", because it does all the process (to put the kext on extensions folder and to remove the Extensions.mkext) make you sure that you have the card on (i put it off this weekend and I reinstall the drivers like 15 times and when I boot Ubuntu and i see that the card was off.... ¬¬)

:D

Sooooo.....I booted up into iDeneb 10.5.5 tonight, and my wireless mysteriously works. I had to run Kismac first, but it immediatley picked up networks and then immediately connected once I stopped running Kismac. I have no idea what made it work. Here is the device info for my card, I believe it's the AR5007EG, but i'm not positive (that's how Win XP reports it)

Atheros

Vendor ID: 168C

Device ID: 001C

SubSys ID: 7130144F Rev_01

When I left work this evening, I made sure to turn off Airport before I shutdown the system. When I got back home, I booted back up, ran Kismac again, and sure enough it picked up all the local wireless connections. I tried to connect to the one in my house and at first it kept timing out. I decided to move myself closer to the router, and once I did that, it connected immediately. After moving back away from the router, the connection held. SWEEET! :-)

When I left work this evening, I made sure to turn off Airport before I shutdown the system. When I got back home, I booted back up, ran Kismac again, and sure enough it picked up all the local wireless connections. I tried to connect to the one in my house and at first it kept timing out. I decided to move myself closer to the router, and once I did that, it connected immediately. After moving back away from the router, the connection held. SWEEET! :-)

That´s nice;),and... yes the internal card is the Atheros 5007g. I´m very happy that you can use the one with Mac it´s a little laptop but I´m runing Oracle Express in a virtualbox machine with ubuntu in the Mac OS and it rules very well i´m very surprised... :(

Yes. I also have problem with downloading, pleasu reupload IO80211FamilyAspireOne_A150.kext.zip somewhere else because another did'nt work for me, my card is recognized but no network found after scan i did every step :) Please help me, my id 168c and vendor 001c

Heres how I installed it on my Acer Aspire 5310.

First of all do a clean install of iATKOS/iDeneb etc. Then once this is done setup your computer.

Now transfer the Airport Update 08-004 to your laptop. And then install it, but don't click restart yet!

Transfer the IO80211Family.kext from beginning of this thread to your laptop. Use Kext Helper to install it. Don't restart yet!

Quit Kext Helper and open Disk Utility.

Click the HD that Mac OS X is installed on and then Repair the Disk Permissions. Once this is done Quit Disk Utility and click restart on the Airport 08-004 installer.

Once rebooted you will need to download KisMAC rev 319. Now drag KisMAC to your Applications folder.

Next turn off Airport. And then reboot.

Switch Airport on and open KisMAC. Open KisMAC preferences and click Drivers, then chose the Aiport Extreme (

passive mode). Close the preference box and click start scan.

If you don't find any networks, or scanning is very slow. Turn off Airport, reboot, open KisMAC and try again.

You may edit the boot.plist file using a tutorial a couple of pages back.

Heres how I installed it on my Acer Aspire 5310.

First of all do a clean install of iATKOS/iDeneb etc. Then once this is done setup your computer.

Now transfer the Airport Update 08-004 to your laptop. And then install it, but don't click restart yet!

Transfer the IO80211Family.kext from beginning of this thread to your laptop. Use Kext Helper to install it. Don't restart yet!

Quit Kext Helper and open Disk Utility.

Click the HD that Mac OS X is installed on and then Repair the Disk Permissions. Once this is done Quit Disk Utility and click restart on the Airport 08-004 installer.

Once rebooted you will need to download KisMAC rev 319. Now drag KisMAC to your Applications folder.

Next turn off Airport. And then reboot.

Switch Airport on and open KisMAC. Open KisMAC preferences and click Drivers, then chose the Aiport Extreme (

passive mode). Close the preference box and click start scan.

If you don't find any networks, or scanning is very slow. Turn off Airport, reboot, open KisMAC and try again.

You may edit the boot.plist file using a tutorial a couple of pages back.

Hi, i followed this tutorial and everything is ok, except that i can't connect to my network.....when i try to connect every time i end with "Connection timeout".

Any suggestions ??

UPDATE: After a restart kissmack can't find any network :(

Thanks!