Do ATi 4670 and 4650 cards work under OSX?

MikeHunt79

60 posts in this topic

Ok, so right now I'm on OS 10.5.1, and I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, my problem is with dual displays, I have an HDMI port that I have connected to my Samsung TV. This is what it looks like.

post-586310-1268414348_thumb.jpg

It seems to be displaying on the TV in 256 colors, or something low like 8 bit, but the display on the laptop is fine, if anyone knows any way possible to get the TV display to change to 32 bit, I'd really appreciate the help, this is my first time with MAC. In the System Display settings I don't have the option for arranging displays, but I can change the color to thousands on both displays and they both look purple at the same time, I can change resolution on both displays, I just can't get the TV to do millions. This is what the laptop looks like though.

post-586310-1268414604_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

We really need a supernerd hero do this ,..It aint going to happen I feel pretty sad.. i thought some one could have just make a installer like Natit orATI injector to get QE to work..but its a No SHoW..but I also tried snow ATI 4650 onlyget 256 mb ram just like yours, but no more resolution change only fixed at 1200x785 ..so Im going to try just Leopard and see.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my ASUS Radeon 4670 512 MB working today. This card has an HDMI output, a VGA output and a DVI-I output. I use the VGA output. I have EVOenabler, and get Quartz Extreme and Core Image. I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 pre-11, revision 151, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

If I use VGA output only, then the output shuts off by the time Snow Leopard finishes loading. If I put a VGA-DVI-I dongle on the DVI-I port, then the VGA output shows up. However, I'm limited to 4:3 resolutions and the colour profile is mucked. If I use VGA from the VGA-DVI-I adaptor, then everything's peachy with full resolution support.

I haven't tried the DVI output in a while, since I use both my monitor's DVI inputs for game consoles.

edit: I should add that dual displays does not work. I only get cloned output.

ATI 4xxx can be an voodoo ?!

Seems that NVs can be more easy getting to run but ATI better in Speed/Price.

I would buy an ATI 4xxx but remember my nightmare to get the 3850 in 10.5 to run. At SL times i switched to 8800GTX.

Does run 4770 with less problems ?

What kind of this error is?

I'm using ATI HD 4650

img0089hb.jpg

I'm using Netkas boot and added my device-id to ATIRadeonx2000.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext.

Reboot with -f -v and i got this {censored}.

Do I have to buy a another video card?

i get the same thing with the radeon mobility in my dv6-1244tx if i don't boot to safe mode.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 4670 that is working in my ex58-ud3r I7 920 system using cakewalk with nothing special done other than 10.6.2 but it is quite strange and unique.

I had to install 10.6.0 with another card, then upgrade to 10.6.2 and then swap the 4670 in. Also, it only works with both monitors plugged in.

I have 2 24" monitors and they're identical models. This appears to be the only way that it works, as I cannot boot just one monitor.

Also, My system will sleep, but when it wakes only one monitor will be on. Like I said, a quite strange and unique setup.

screenshot20100709at805.png

• 1 month later...
I have a 4670 that is working in my ex58-ud3r I7 920 system using cakewalk with nothing special done other than 10.6.2 but it is quite strange and unique.

I had to install 10.6.0 with another card, then upgrade to 10.6.2 and then swap the 4670 in. Also, it only works with both monitors plugged in.

I have 2 24" monitors and they're identical models. This appears to be the only way that it works, as I cannot boot just one monitor.

Also, My system will sleep, but when it wakes only one monitor will be on. Like I said, a quite strange and unique setup.

screenshot20100709at805.png

@klh6682 or anybody else with hd4670 dual display working

what is your gfx card vendor and what ports does the card have?

on what ports are the monitors connected?

could u be more specific about your system: bootloader, what gfx kexts are loaded and what versions

sorry for asking so much questions, but Id like to get dual display working too