Attractive PC Case

55 posts in this topic

I feel ya MaaseyRacer. 95% of PC cases look like friggin Transformers. They have no style. Big blue led pimping lights? No thank you. I'm also adding a +1 to Diabolik's find here. I like the simplicity of the design.

-Stell

Thank you Diabolik!

One of you has taste!!!!!!

Both The Origen H7 and Omaura 11 are very close to what I am looking for. I wish the Omaura 8 supported full sized graphics cards, but the 11 is good enough. Omaura's HDD raid set up is beautiful as well. I am very temped to get a case and RAID set up there. Not sure where I am going to buy it from, but I have contacted the company and am awaiting a response. Now if only I could find an attractive tower, I can weigh in all options, however this is a really good start.

h7_htpc_strip.jpg

TF11_SUBIMAGE_2.JPG

TF8_SUBIMAGE_1.JPG

TFHDDANGLE.JPG

I myself have picked up the lovely Omaura tf5

purty lil' thang, ultra slim to boot (1U), only downside it getting nice and slim parts for stuff.

so far ive outfitted it with an asus p5n7a-vm, xeon e3110, 2x 2gb ddr2 800Mhz ram, apple super drive, seagate momentus 7200.3 hdd, picoPSU 120.

the cpu heatsink is an AC cooling freezer 7 lp modded to be ulp : http://diabolik1605.com/omaura-tf5/ulp-freezer7/

ive got a few more tricks up my sleeve for this build as with my many other builds ;)

-D-

and for all those who hate cause they cant afford it: too bad, so sad :)

Haha! I love it, wanna-be PC-case snobs that buy things because they think any of this is about some keeping up with the Jones ego-trip.

Too funny.

Reality check: the last case looks like someone's old VCR or DVD player.

For an HTPC it'd be okay, (not particularly great, I've seen a LOT more impressive HTPC cases that actually manage not to look like my grandma's DVD player) but for a desktop, it'd look positively silly. If it costs more than $70 I'd say you were ripped.

and... Apple superdrive? :)

The media center cases look great as they will blend in with my stereo set up that I have set up in my office, and not look out of place.

GFR700hd-front.jpg

If a case supports stock cooling, CD drive, and more than two Hard Drives, I am set. I am not looking to slap on neon lights and a loud exhaust to my computer. I will go as far as putting quiet fans inside so that I do not have to know it is on.

Quick update.

I have been going through hell trying to find an Omaura TF 8 or 11 and HDD. They seem to be no longer made and the company had some financial issues with their manufacturer. Needless to say ebay is going to be my only hope of tracking one of these down.

I spoke with Chris Morley who was distributing Omaura into the US, he said that the guy designing Omaura will be releasing new cases some time by the end of Q1 or 2 in 2009.

Too bad, I finally found all the parts I wanted.

The media center cases look great as they will blend in with my stereo set up that I have set up in my office, and not look out of place.

If a case supports stock cooling, CD drive, and more than two Hard Drives, I am set. I am not looking to slap on neon lights and a loud exhaust to my computer. I will go as far as putting quiet fans inside so that I do not have to know it is on.

Why does a PC case look out of place in an office? There are plenty of perfectly normal-looking, tasteful pc cases without neon lights or gaudy characteristics.

I am looking to buy a PC case. I have not liked many that I have seen I find them really ugly. That was one nice thing about buying Apple hardware for sol long they usually look good (emac excluded). My Hack sits in an HP case right now as it does not look that bad. However, I would like to put it in something that looks a bit better. Ideally I am waiting for a G5 or MacPro case, but I am not shelling the money out for one. I also do not time to do any case mods. That being said, show me some good looking cases that will look good in my office. Oh and do not post anything that has neon lights, or looks like a rice rocket.

Didn't say what size of case your looking for but you did state you like the MacPro case which is pretty big tho.

When I was thinking about building a Hacintosh I found this case which looks the most Apple-E to me although it was too big for me.

Find it here although it is kinda pricey once you add a power supply but if it has the look and feel what's money :)

• 2 weeks later...

1779_l.jpg

Asus T3-P5945GC

Flame it if you will but I may use this case for my next Hackint0sh,

and I agree PC cases have a long way to go yet when compared to a Mac.

Where are the Asian Clones!? Come on China we need you!

Here are a few more for your enjoyment :(

127841-A.jpg

11-164-060-01.jpg

That EZ cool case made me vomit in my mouth. It takes everything clean, neat, and tidy from the mac pro and butchers it. There are no clean defined lines on that thing and the optical drives stand out like a sore thumb. On top of that what is the point of the other 5.25" drive bays? Are they just there to make the thing look worse? They are ugly why do PC case designers put no effort in making things clean and simple. Just because I have a PC does not mean I want it to look like a slapped together piece of cheap steel and plastic.

Oh and I like that Asus T3-P5945GC, however the case itself looks kinda limited to the power supply it has in there. Let me know if you can squeeze a full sized supply into it.

That EZ cool case made me vomit in my mouth. It takes everything clean, neat, and tidy from the mac pro and butchers it. There are no clean defined lines on that thing and the optical drives stand out like a sore thumb. On top of that what is the point of the other 5.25" drive bays? Are they just there to make the thing look worse? They are ugly why do PC case designers put no effort in making things clean and simple. Just because I have a PC does not mean I want it to look like a slapped together piece of cheap steel and plastic.

Oh and I like that Asus T3-P5945GC, however the case itself looks kinda limited to the power supply it has in there. Let me know if you can squeeze a full sized supply into it.

lmaooo

any of the lian-li cases look very industrial and mac. They aren't copies but still look like they fit the part. I am using a pc-v1000. It is around the same size as the mac pro case, but a very different design, except that it is perforated aluminum. It has shiny steel casters, very high quality, but the only problem is that the drive bays look ugly, also mac's never have drive bays. If anyone could find perforated aluminum drive bays or some way of covering them up, I would sooo use that!

lianli-v1000_total.jpg

The drive bay are actually aluminum, but I still don't like drive bays.

Anyone think I can do better than this? I don't want a mac pro copy (unless its actualllt very good), but a mac-like case. Also I was going to mod a powermac G5 case, but I heard there were cooling issues and the front panel is super hard to do (for a nooby like me)> Anyone have any other recommendations for this style case or for G5 modding?

EDIT:

OHH NICE: they came out with a media center version (even though i like the desktop one better):

front.jpg

all of you are wrong :). Here is the most perfect case in the whole world. its a lian li, so it costs 260$, but you wont have to/want to get another case for ever. Its quiet, has six fans, simple, very user friendly, pure aluminium, holds 10 hard drives. : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811112145 . and if it not there when you go to my link (newegg sometimes randomly changes there stuff) here is the model number: Lian Li PC-A71A

i just ordered me one :)

post-315117-1229496802_thumb.jpg

post-315117-1229496813_thumb.jpg

post-315117-1229496956_thumb.jpg

post-315117-1229497019_thumb.jpg

post-315117-1229497033_thumb.jpg

post-315117-1229497048_thumb.jpg

6 fans, I am not trying to own a hover craft. Also 10 hard drives, is excessive to say the least. I am willing to settle for a case that holds two or three drives as long as it looks good.

I have browsed the whole Lian-Li catalog and it all looks the same. I am going for something that looks really good, something that is a bit of a designer piece. Most of the PC cases out there are so lack luster that I think we have set the bar so low, that when something half way decent comes out we about poop our pants.

If you want to buy decent looking furnishings for your home, there is IKEA, and a bunch of other low end to high end retailers that can match what you are looking for. IKEA is a great example because they have good looking minimalist design for a low price. However, if you want a PC to look good (something that has in their house) you have to search high and low to come up empty handed.

There is no reason to settle, we should be getting products that look and work great.

Well. I think Lian-li is the only company that seems to manufacture half descent PC cases. I really like their pc-v1000 (and 800, 1000+||, etc) , but the only problem is the drive bays, Other than that, perfect. Why do they even have 5 drive bays, who needs more than two 5.2 drives? Note, the floppy drive can be taken out and those look a lot better in real life (!), but I think I would pop in one or two DVD drives and cover it with something. Lian-li does make one case with perforated aluminum drive bays of the same size (?), but I think it only comes in black. If your not trying to mach it with a sexy apple screen (like I am), look at this:

v1000zd2.jpg

(http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=213&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62)

Maybe buy these drive bays and paint em silver? I can't seem to find a silver model and it has a stupid gamer window in the side, but its even nicer than pc-v-1000. Its also got a cool hard drive system and I like the way the inside is (although its similar to v1000)

Also, though I hate gamers, I must say this case is pretty hot (but not really mac-y): the red armorsuit case is nice

[Rant]

Note... lian-li has the best English I've ever seen on a Chinese web site, but its still ****. Doesn't anyone speak descent English in China. Why do big companies (who presumably have some money) hire such crappy translators???

For the past 20 years, Lian Li has putted a lot of effect to make our products better. The external parts are in hair-line brush anodized aluminum, and touch up with the diamond cut edges.
almost guys, you cna do it... [/rant]

Oh {censored}. Look what I found:

0a17t006.jpg

and these come in silver.

check this out: A17-silver.jpg

I don't like the case that much, but I would use the PC-V1000 with these drive doors!

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to by these doors. What would you suggest I do?

hey, with some searching, I found this:

http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06...ndex=38&g=f

4x BZ-501A (Silver ) 5.2 disk bezels on a lian-li pc-v1000 silver case, with one DVD drive on the top one (or 2 DVD's and 3x Bezel) would be effing perfect!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have photoshop on my craptop, but I will ms paint some of these bezels onto the case (lol)...

6 fans, I am not trying to own a hover craft. Also 10 hard drives, is excessive to say the least. I am willing to settle for a case that holds two or three drives as long as it looks good.

There is no reason to settle, we should be getting products that look and work great.

Just because you don't find it useful, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Some people need a large number of drives, and don't send thier PC down some make-believe fashion show runway, it's a tool they use.

Also, what looks 'good' to you, may look like warmed over {censored} to someone else, or really stupid, or just plain tacky. This thread has sure proved that.

I'm glad atleast some PC makers are past the phase of catering to the tackiest buyers among us- the whole era of wanna-be boutique boxes, and rice-rocket {censored} (both about the same in terms of uselesness to a PC) needs to end. Makers need to cater to people that care more about function than useless form. Almost no one else on the planet wastes even a second of their life giving a flying {censored} about what someone's drive bay covers look like, and lots of people would rather rip their hair out than pay a premium for something they are likely going to REMOVE from the case anyway.

I would get just as sick of seeing too much wanna-be 'froo-froo' {censored} as I did of ugly clear drive doors, lights, transformer {censored}, etc. Just get back to the basics- these are tools, not fashion statments.

The PC-A71A case looks about as good as any rectangular metal box to put PC components into is ever going to get. Most of the other froo-froo {censored} looks like another form of rice-rocket {censored}, and about as useless as bling-bling lights as all the other useless stuff tacked on in the name of trying to make something look 'good'. All the people with transformers/ fugly silkscreen/ rice-rocket cases think their {censored} looks 'good' too, and are convinced that they too have impecable 'taste' over everyone else- it's all subjective.

One person's idea of taste, is another's idea of taaaacky... like banana phones from B&O! ;)

Is there something wrong with me because I like well designed computers both on the outside ad inside? That's why people like mac. Not only is it a very good, effecient, etc system, but it will look good / professional on your desk. What's the point of buying nice furniture if you're going to put a **** looking pc on it? A car is only a method of transportation, but people like theirs to look nice.

If you disagree with the idea of a case that will look good, then why are you posting here?

Especially for someone who has a business, this matters. Imageine walking into some store and seeing either a bunch of iMacs neatly placed on the desks or like some ugly gray box with fake silver painted plastic. Which one will leave the better impression?

Is there something wrong with me because I like well designed computers both on the outside ad inside? That's why people like mac. Not only is it a very good, effecient, etc system, but it will look good / professional on your desk. What's the point of buying nice furniture if you're going to put a **** looking pc on it? A car is only a method of transportation, but people like theirs to look nice.

First of all, I personally think it looks stupid to have a tower of any kind ON a desk. Put the damn thing under the desk like anyone with any sense does.

Once again, the whole point is, that what looks 'good' or professional, is subjective. What you think is "well designed" is subjective. That means, that what you like, someone else doesn't, what they like, you may not. Is it really that difficult to grasp?

I judge businesses by what they sell, thier prices, and their service, not their computers. Some of my favorite stores with the best deals have the {censored}tiest beige boxes I've ever seen as POS (Point of Sale, or in this case, Pile Of S**) machines. (Take a look in a Frys or Microcenter for example). I could care less, and clearly, neither could any of the legion other customers. Meanwhile, I've seen wanna-be froo-froo places with dainty little iMacs and all the other {censored} go out of business because they don't sell what anyone wants and think image over subtance matters to anyone but other fake wanna-be froo-froo people. Personally, I think an iMac is overkill for most basic business needs, and outside of the Apple store or some place where I'd expect them to use their own product, I wouldn't be impressed. Impress me with prices, having what I want, and service, not bullcrap.

Car arguments get equally silly, because once again, what you like in a car I may find completely goofy, and vica versa, and ditto everybody else in the world. SUBJECTIVE.

Correct spelling makes a better impression than horrible spelling, but some people don't bother with that either. ;)

OK, whatever, but arguing about how its all subjective and how the computer looks doesn't really matter isn't the point of this thread. It doesn't really matter, but I care at least a bit how my computer looks, so I'm browsing this thread looking at what some people think is a good looking case. I may agree, I may disagree, but the point is to get an idea of what I want for my hackintosh. Oh and, most people who see my computer may not care about the drive doors, but I actually do, so I'll spend the extra twenty bucks and get the nice ones

It's not that I disagree with you, (by all means, get what is TO YOU the best looking design). Just I think it's a really silly notion that some bar is lowered because everyone's not clamoring for faux 'designer' PC cases as opposed to functional/practical cases for the real world.

I wouldn't want a silly faux 'designer' POS that looks like a friggen rooftop air conditioner unit with beyond-tacky blue neon bullcrap spewed onto it, any more than I want some 'transformers' case. If a great company like Lian Li or Antec went either way, rather than making practical stuff people actually can use, they'd deserve to go out of business.