Samsung NC 10

86 posts in this topic

The Samsung NC10, which is a 10.2" netbook with quite a good spec for the money £300 in the UK. Will it install OS X, is the big question?

The specs would say it should do;

• Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz
  • Intel 945 Chipset
  • 1 GB RAM DDR2
  • 160 GB HDD
  • Intel GMA 950 128 MB
  • 10.2" TFT (1024 x 600)
  • Atheros WiFi / 100 Mbps Lan / Bluetooth 2.0
  • 3 x USB 2.0 / VGA / Mic-In / Headphone-Out / 3in1 Card Reader / Kensington Lock
  • Li-on 2200 mAh
  • 1.29 Kg

Although there isn't much info on the sound chip so whether that would work is debatable until it is released but ebuyer have plenty in for release in 3 colours http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150184. This would be a very appealing little netbook with a half decent screen size and plenty of features for a decent price.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news from the audio chipset front? I'm very intrigued by this netbook and its OS X compatibility.

This afternoon I've had the chance to compare both the MSI Wind and the NC 10 side-by-side at Comet in Twickenham and the Samsung felt much sturdier (keyboard and hinges) and looked more refined (at least to me) than the MSI.

Jabba

well if the audio chipset is same as the wind then http://forums.msiwind.net/mac/news-headpho...orks-t4854.html look like even the headphone jack works so i think it is nearly 100% compatible! Cheers for informing us on the general quality of the 2 jabbababba, i thought the samsung would be of much better build quality. Just checked ebuyer and they have the white ones in stock.

I am also quite interested in getting this notebook and maybe trying osx on it. I found some info on the chipset used on samsung.de website

http://notebook.samsung.de/produkte/detail...70-7e5630c2088f

Intel HD Audio Codec, REALTEK ALC272-GR, 2 Stereo-Lautsprecher x 1,0 Watt pro Kanal, 1x integriertes Mikrofon

Not sure how easy it is to get to work. If anyone has more info, please post.

thanks a lot spaceman, could you please confirm that the soundcard (including headphone socket) and ethernet are working fine on the Samsung NC10? I thought they would not be recognised by OS X...if that is the case, the atheros can be easily replaced with a USB or internal card...sounds very good.

Does the NC10 sleep-hibernate without problems too, and did you try superhai's speedstep software?

Many thanks for your very encouraging report!

Looks like the built quality of the samsung nc10 is a lot better and well thought-through than the msi-wind ! There is a spare pci slot and a 3G sim slot inside, 6 cell battery!, bt, 160Gb disk...SWEET ! Look here: Youtube video nc10... now all we need to know is osx86 compatibility issues for this one !

More inside pic's: NC10 inside pictures...

Any takers ? :rolleyes:

Yesterday i got my NC10 - thx to Alternate ^^

There is a spare pci slot and a 3G sim slot inside, 6 cell battery!, bt, 160Gb disk...SWEET

Theres no BT und u can't use the pci slot since there is no connector. Also I couldn't find a sim slot.

The WLAN Adapter is know as not compatible with osx. So i already replaced it by an original apple airport extreme card which already works

fine in win. today i'll buy an usb dvd drive in town and will test kalyway 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 combo

I will report wich components work

sorry for bad english ...

ok ladies,

this is my posting written in safari in my wlan on my couch on the nc10 :)

as written before i have already replaced the wlan card with an airport extreme. no need to say that this runs fine in osx.

but:

- graphics first only 800x600 after install of kexts by walcott, i get 1024x600 but without qe

- no sound

- no ethernet

- no apm

i think also no or no correct fancontrol

far away from "out-of-the-box" :))

if anyone knows tips about installing the sound ALC272 plz let me know

So, you meant you have try to install osx leopard in samsung nc10 and it doesn't work wifi, sound and apm?

I hope that it could be really cold for osx, but.... any one has test it more, with other distribution?

Someone can tell me if MSI Wind U100-2 is better for OSX than samsung NC10?

I am very interesting in working with OSX

he miss zupport looks like you messed up ! ;)

according to this youtube video everything is working except wlan !

so try again and use Leo4All distro....

I don't see where you see that everything's working.

1) No indications for lan

2) streched icons so I think it's running in 800x600

3) no proof that sound's working (you can have the hud for sound but no sound at all)

I'll wait for a more complete test.

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my NC10 today. I've found it fairly straightforward - basically treated it as an MSI Wind.

I couldn't get the vanilla kernel to work, (it crashes on booting), but both kabylkernel and modbinkernel work.

Here's the state of play I've got to with a few hours playing:

WORKING:

Graphics with QE/CI at 1024x600

Cam (works nicely with photobooth)

All USB

Sound to speakers (no headphone or line in) - I installed AzaliaAudio.pkg from as per MSI Wind - including blue-keys for volume and mute

SD card slot

Battery indicator

Bluetooth (have used it for file sharing with my IMac).

Fan control seems fine, too - it turns on and off according to load.

NOT WORKING

WiFi (will try substituting a Dell HW1395)

Wired ethernet

Sleep (this may be because of kernel mismatch).

Key control of screen brightness.

I've managed to install EyeTV which works nicely with my Freecom DVB-T stick and I'm using a Huawei E160 3G dongle for networking at the moment.

I'm quite chuffed - I've had Windows installs that take longer and do less!

- Adie.

thanks for the reports guys, keep em coming. Would be good if someone could try iAtkos 10.5.4 as well...

The LAN chip apparently is a Marvell Yukon 8040, one of those that dont quite work with OS X

Hope the iAtkos fixes sleep, any advice on that would be good.

Is screen brightness tuneable via System Preferences and does the screen get as bright as in Windows XP?

WORKING:

Graphics with QE/CI at 1024x600

Cam (works nicely with photobooth)

All USB

Sound to speakers (no headphone or line in) - I installed AzaliaAudio.pkg from as per MSI Wind - including blue-keys for volume and mute

SD card slot

Battery indicator

Bluetooth (have used it for file sharing with my IMac).

Fan control seems fine, too - it turns on and off according to load.

Thanks for hint with AzaliaAudio.pkg .... this works now (also without jacks)

--> What did you do to get the battery indicator?

I've now installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with ComboUpdate 10.5.5 + USB Fix 1.3

That's good news guys, I'm glad there's so much progress in the NC10 community! The Samsung seems to be nearly as OS X compatible as the MSI Wind.

Any luck with LAN and SLEEP?

A German forum reports that the NC10 uses the Marvell Yukon 88E8040 LAN chip which as far as I can see here offers 10/100 LAN (Fast Ethernet). But I know there's quite a bit confusion around this controller and some say that it does Gigabit. I can't tell who's right.

Keep up reporting back – very much appreciated!

Jabba

Thanks for hint with AzaliaAudio.pkg .... this works now (also without jacks)

zupport and others, did you try the MSI Wind "fix" to get audio working through the jacks? Its detailed here

http://forums.msiwind.net/mac/headphones-e...1f413baa48d5e55

Please do try this and let us know if the audio is now switched correctly to headphone/lineout.

Many thanks!

Any luck with LAN and SLEEP?

A German forum reports that the NC10 uses the Marvell Yukon 88E8040 LAN chip which as far as I can see here offers 10/100 LAN (Fast Ethernet). But I know there's quite a bit confusion around this controller and some say that it does Gigabit. I can't tell who's right.

It does use the Marvell 88E8040 chipset. As reported by Reggie on OSX:

Vendor ID: 0x11AB

Device ID: 0x4354

SubsysID: 0xCA00

SubsysvendorID: 0x144D

Some claim the chipset ought to be capable of gigabit, but my guess (supported by the data sheet I now see) is that the support hardware is crippled. Both Dell and HP also use the 88E8040 as 10/100 only, although some optimists believe that different drivers could make them go full speed.

Anyway, speed is academic as there have been no credible reports of anyone making them work on OSX at all, although there is a thread on this board about a driver that is being written based on the Sky2 linux driver which looks convincing. The 8040 design is significantly different from earlier Yukon2 chipsets (it is intended to be simpler and faster) and I personally doubt that the Apple Yukon2 kexts or other closed-source Marvell drivers will ever be persuaded to play nicely with it.

Sleep is probably do-able - it just needs a lot of trial and error - but I haven't managed it.

- Adie.

Edited by adie

zupport and others, did you try the MSI Wind "fix" to get audio working through the jacks?

I'm not sure that installing 80MB of software is a great way to flip an output! Anyway, it doesn't work as is but can be made to do so by editing the switch.sh script ..

replace the existing code between enable_spk() and do_sudo() with this...

enable_spk()

{

send_verb 0x01470C02

send_verb 0x0143B000

send_verb 0x0213B080

}

enable_hp()

{

send_verb 0x021707C0

send_verb 0x0213B000

send_verb 0x0143B080

}