Samsung NC 10

86 posts in this topic

excellent, thanks a lot for this and letting us know that sound is "fixed". Given that LAN and wireless are unsupported across OSX86, all we need now is a better sleep mechanism, hope iAtkos or other distros have a kernel that sorts this out...

Well - I've used the MSI Wind OSX ISO, and it seems to have gone fairly well. (its 10.5.4) That's all I've done so far - no extra drivers or anything else. Just the MSI Wind ISO installed.

The Dell 1490 WiFi card I dropped in works fine

Sound works out the box. Headphone jack doesn't.

Video works, right res, accelerated. No problems there

Volume control works with the fn+left/right arrows.

Things that don't work

USB ports. This is weird, as they worked to do the installation ( using an external DVD drive ) but they don't work now. They have power, but don't register anything being inserted. What's more weird is that the Webcam works - and it's a built in USB device. So does Bluetooth, which is also a built in USB device.

LAN port (not THAT bothered about that)

SD Card reader (assuming this is another USB device- perhaps on the same channel of USB as the external ports?)

Screen brightness controls - not found a key-combo that works yet

Headphone jack

Microphone

The USB ports are the first priority. Then the Mic. Then the screen brightness.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

USB fixed - simply reset with a usb device plugged in (my USB datastick for example). This also fixes the SD Card reader which now works with SD cards. Waiting on a crappy Ebay seller to send my an SDHC card to test.

I'll give the 1.3 USB Fix a roll, see what damage it does :P

1.3 fix didn't alter anything. Install - restarted without a device plugged in...nothing. Plugged something in, restarted - problem solved in same way it was before.

djelllinson - try the sound fix detailed by adie above, that should get your sound out of the headphone jack. Ethernet and original Atheros wifi are lost causes for the time being, as they arent supported by any OSX86 kexts. Can you tune Screen Brightness via software (System Preferences) and is the screen as bright as in Windows XP once you tune it that way?

Also, it would very helpful if you could let us know whether the NC10 sleeps properly in your installation

Many thanks!

great doug, thanks a lot for this, now we only have the sound, USB and brightness to think about...hope sound gets fixed with headphone out in your installation as well...as for USB, its partially fixed, and guess brightness we'll have to do with System Preferences tuning for now...

Slightly off topic, but if any of you got hold of the UK version, could you confirm the size of the right Shift key? From the review pictuer at What Laptop magazine, it looks like they changed the keyboard layout for the UK keyboard layout, which resulted in smaller right Shift. I was considering this for OS X machine, but this may be the deal-breaker for me...

Slightly off topic, but if any of you got hold of the UK version, could you confirm the size of the right Shift key? From the review pictuer at What Laptop magazine, it looks like they changed the keyboard layout for the UK keyboard layout, which resulted in smaller right Shift. I was considering this for OS X machine, but this may be the deal-breaker for me...

Correct. It is reduced to the same size as the ctrl key on the left. Not a problem for me - I'm a left shift man.

- Adie.

Hi, could someone tell me where I can download the drivers for the video card? Thanks :(

Depends a bit on your version, but I used the MSI Wind drivers from paulswinddriverutilitypack (google it). They offer full QE/CI at native resolution. They don't however appear to support the VGA out - that's my next project!

- Adie.

The headphone switching script doesn't work for me on my white UK NC10, using the altered settings as quoted in this thread sadly. The script will run perfectly - I get "Setting state to spk.....done" and "Setting state to hp....done" but no change occurs at all.

Doug

The headphone switching script doesn't work for me on my white UK NC10, using the altered settings as quoted in this thread sadly. The script will run perfectly - I get "Setting state to spk.....done" and "Setting state to hp....done" but no change occurs at all.

Doug

Mines a white NC10 UK model too, so I'm surprised and disappointed. Check for typos.

- Adie.

Edit - added modified switch.sh switch.sh.zip

Edited by adie

Double checked the changes - I'm pretty damn sure I got it right. That's probably the smallest of my current issues though to be honest.

Doug

I've uploaded the amended script to previous post.

- Adie.