Install Mac OS X to Acer Aspire One A150 from version 10.5.2 – 10.5.5

harbot

742 posts in this topic

Ill post some of the procedures like battery meter, and the Video Mirror also the Resolution runs at full and the external monitor supports 1680x1050x32, with rotation, mirror and autoplug!

I tested the external monitor support on 1080P monitor, surprisingly it supports 1920x1080x32.

Hello SBMac;

For your USB device to work make sure your System.kext version is same as your Kernel File Version.

What Kernel are you using eg. Vanilla, sleepkernel, kabylkernel and so on.

You can also check your kernel by opening Terminal and type 'uname -a' without the ''

And you are right, I have System.kext 9.4.0 and the Kernel File Version is at 9.5.0. I am, using the Vanilla Kernel as per the guide in this forum. You have to forgive my noobness. I have done a lot of interesting things with computers for years as definitely an advanced user, but this is my first attempt at a hack-intosh. I did know of a few kernels out there, but I know for certain the Vanilla Kernel allows for straight Apple Updates. Maybe a stupid question but how do I get the System.kext 9.5.0 file? And are there any other kernels that I can install that let you do straight apple updates/allow the computer to sleep? I have heard of a few in some different areas in the forum...

Thanks for your assistance

~Stephen

Update:

Just found the 9.5.0 System.kext so good to go there, but still curious about other kernels that let you run Apple updates, has anyone tried the VooDoo kernel? And anyone find anything on the other questions I asked, most importantly the Intel GMA950 only being set to 8 mb of video memory in BIOS?

amazing, thanks SticMAC. Off to a nearby store to get an 8gig stick sometime tomorow...

couple questions:

CCC (that's carbon copy cloner, right?) transfers the iso and also extracts it/sorts it out onto the stick? Or do I need to extract its contents first before CCCing it?

I only ask because I have no frame of reference: I have access to a whole office full of new macs but don't own one and never have, and hence I've never formatted a USB key with one, used Chameleon, CCC, or anything, so whatever information I can have down pat in advance before heading over to this office and messing around for a while will make my life easier and not force me to look up a million basic things while I'm there :wacko:

Many thanks again.

I tested the external monitor support on 1080P monitor, surprisingly it supports 1920x1080x32.

i've been having problem on the Mirror function - seems like once i activate the mirror button the display turns to garbage, any idea I only added the ff. kext

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and

Natit.kext

It will auto detect the external monitor with high resulution support but not mirror

Any idea on what kext to add. Thanks

EDIT :

Found out that the kext from PAUL's also work with external monitor and with my 1280 x 1024 lcd but still the mirror function dont work, also is the tap on your touch pad work? already install ps2controller.kext still same tap wont work

Found out that the kext from PAUL's also work with external monitor and with my 1280 x 1024 lcd but still the mirror function dont work, also is the tap on your touch pad work? already install ps2controller.kext still same tap wont work

I'm having problems with mirror function as well...still finding a solution.

With regards to touchpad tap, It is working since Kalyway 10.5.2 install...

Just go to System Preferences...Keyboard & Mouse...Trackpad...at trackpad gestures, Check clicking...

touchpad tap /double tap and dragging should work by now.

My AAO is almost a full functional Hackintosh except for the card reader, mirror & sleep (i can live without the mirror & sleep :-). Is your card reader working? What do i need to do to make it work?

Btw, Thanks for your excellent tutorial! Keep it up!

I'm having problems with mirror function as well...still finding a solution.

With regards to touchpad tap, It is working since Kalyway 10.5.2 install...

Just go to System Preferences...Keyboard & Mouse...Trackpad...at trackpad gestures, Check clicking...

touchpad tap /double tap and dragging should work by now.

My AAO is almost a full functional Hackintosh except for the card reader, mirror & sleep (i can live without the mirror & sleep :-). Is your card reader working? What do i need to do to make it work?

Btw, Thanks for your excellent tutorial! Keep it up!

Ohhh Man Im so dumb hehehehehe Thanks for the TouchPad Tap :D now its working fine

With regards to the card reader Ill try to recall the procedures I have done during 10.5.1 using iAtkos I did not document the steps hehehehe Hope I can recall once tested Ill post the procedures for u all

Now Ill work on that card reader :P

Yes CCC is Carbon Copy Cloner.....

Regarding your memorystick, unless you really NEED a stick get yourself a 40/80/120/160GB USB HDD, the installation goes MUCH faster as the Drive can read and write at more than 10 x times that of a stick, also if you have a good USB HDD you can always use CCC to make a workin backup especially if you are going to "play" with the OS!

¨

StiCMAN

amazing, thanks SticMAC. Off to a nearby store to get an 8gig stick sometime tomorow...

couple questions:

CCC (that's carbon copy cloner, right?) transfers the iso and also extracts it/sorts it out onto the stick? Or do I need to extract its contents first before CCCing it?

I only ask because I have no frame of reference: I have access to a whole office full of new macs but don't own one and never have, and hence I've never formatted a USB key with one, used Chameleon, CCC, or anything, so whatever information I can have down pat in advance before heading over to this office and messing around for a while will make my life easier and not force me to look up a million basic things while I'm there :P

Many thanks again.

I have read that MSI wind Card reader works out of the box, if any one using Wind and send the kext files for the card reader might be helpful for testing

Card Reader:

Notes:

Supported, no additional drivers required. Tested with SanDisk 4GB SDHC.

Speed was roughly 4-6MB per second.

There is nothing more to do here.

Taken from this link http://wind-osx86.wikispaces.com/10.5+What%27s+Working

I also found solution on the Mirror Issue you may download the pkg file from this link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry913715

Thanks to kamikaze for sharing the file

I have tested the pkg works great but I have to remove Natit.kext 1st

Maybe a little off-Topic...but let's see...Has anyone seen this here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acer-Aspire-One-Easy-F...bayphotohosting ?

A Touchscreen-Kit for the Aspire One...and now the interessting part...the Drivers are also for Mac Os X...is this possible? I think this is fake...Touchscreen-Drivers for Os X ;) ? Nearly impossible...

Back to Topic:

@harbot:

I have read that MSI wind Card reader works out of the box, if any one using Wind and send the kext files for the card reader might be helpful for testing

No, sorry, I don't think so...I thought the Card reader in the Wind is attached via USB (or something similar), so Mac recognizes it as an USB-SD-Card reader. The Card reader from the Aspire One is not attached via USB, so Mac won't recognize it...sorry for destroying this dream... :blowup:

For the Installation-CD only for the Acer Aspire One...looks good, will test another Distro for my Acer 5715Z also made with InstaHackintosh today, if it works, I will post the Modified Folder...

OK sooo... little update...

The System.kext that I found that was 9.5.0 screwed my install up, it wont even boot. So I am going to re-install from scratch and go from there. I have a good idea as to how I am going to do this now. But just out of curiosity does anyone have the System.kext version 9.5.0 that I could download? I am using the Vanilla kernel if that helps...

Thanks in Advance,

~Stephen

Update:

Quick question, when going back through the forum I see there is a similar problem about hot plugging USB. I have seen the VooDoo Beta 2 referenced, and I am wondering, can I use the System.kext from the Voodoo Beta with the Vanilla Kernel? or can I say pull the System.kext from my G5?

OK sooo... little update...

The System.kext that I found that was 9.5.0 screwed my install up, it wont even boot. So I am going to re-install from scratch and go from there. I have a good idea as to how I am going to do this now. But just out of curiosity does anyone have the System.kext version 9.5.0 that I could download? I am using the Vanilla kernel if that helps...

Thanks in Advance,

~Stephen

Update:

Quick question, when going back through the forum I see there is a similar problem about hot plugging USB. I have seen the VooDoo Beta 2 referenced, and I am wondering, can I use the System.kext from the Voodoo Beta with the Vanilla Kernel? or can I say pull the System.kext from my G5?

Im currently using Vanilla Kernel on my Acer One Ill try to post the system kext for you, probably later tonight since im at the office :wacko:.

What I have here is 9.3.0 on Dell GX520 hahahahaha full hardware running using ModbinKernel

Also with the Card Reader Acer one is using Jmicron I dont think making the card reader active is possible

Im currently using Vanilla Kernel on my Acer One Ill try to post the system kext for you, probably later tonight since im at the office :wacko: .

What I have here is 9.3.0 on Dell GX520 hahahahaha full hardware running using ModbinKernel

Also with the Card Reader Acer one is using Jmicron I dont think making the card reader active is possible

Awesome, I appreciate it, and do I have to run any kind of command when rebooting such as the update -v command? just curious if I can just replace and run it.

Thanks..

~Stephen

And just to let everyone know...

I did a bit of searching on the JMicron controller for the card reader. Apparently it could be the JMB38X controller chip, as there are drivers for OS X on the 36X chips but not the 38X for OS X, unless I have missed something out in the wild. Anyone know of an existing JMB38X driver for OS X? if so this would get the card reader working.

And just to let everyone know...

I did a bit of searching on the JMicron controller for the card reader. Apparently it could be the JMB38X controller chip, as there are drivers for OS X on the 36X chips but not the 38X for OS X, unless I have missed something out in the wild. Anyone know of an existing JMB38X driver for OS X? if so this would get the card reader working.

This would be awesome !!!! ill try to search for it in the net. I came across Linux community that they have tested the JMircon im not sure if anyone from OS X Community tried.

@SBMac = You have to back-up your current System.kext first and replace it with new System.kext using kext helper will do and run terminal, execute this command "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" without "" and reboot that will do.

Do not plug in any usb device first to test, once OS X has boot-up you can then plug-in the USB device see if it will auto mount

Regarding the USB devices not loading unless booted with them plugged in, I have fixed it based on harbot's suggestion. Updating the System.kext file to read 9.5.0 matching what the 9.5.0 kernel that I'm using...somehow I had 9.4.0 System.kext...

Use kext helper after deleting the existing system.kext file from S/L/E then repair disk permissions in Disk Utility and reboot. Then it's fixed!

I've added the 9.5.0 System.kext file for anyone who doesn't have it.

Thanks for the help!

950_System_kext.zip

Friends

I´m using Windows XP with NTFS, and I´ve tried this tutorial, but I´m keeping having system hang out just after the "Preparing Instalation" at "Welcome screen", the diplay shows black screen and goes to prompt, and it show System Halted by root.

At the boot screen i´ve noted some messages like: root file system is read only.

I´ve resize the disk to free 20 GB and I haven´t partitioned this.

I´ve tried too the steps posted from "brgroup". No sucess.

Any ideas?

Sorry for any inconvenience caused:

Something went wrong with the upload:

NEW: http://www.mediafire.com/?vmwyyzdmh3y

SticMAC

I found the problem with the 9.5.0 version System.kext, SticMac I love the compilation of files you put together in this file but the Sksytem.kext is version 9.4.0 and the PowerManagemnet.bundle was not working for me, I left the original PowerManagemnet.bundle in and used one that I found in the forums, I will have to find it again to show you guys, got it by a quick search.

This would be awesome !!!! ill try to search for it in the net. I came across Linux community that they have tested the JMircon im not sure if anyone from OS X Community tried.

@SBMac = You have to back-up your current System.kext first and replace it with new System.kext using kext helper will do and run terminal, execute this command "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" without "" and reboot that will do.

Do not plug in any usb device first to test, once OS X has boot-up you can then plug-in the USB device see if it will auto mount

I really hope we can finda driver for this card reader to, it would be awesome. This weekend I am hoping to crack my Aspire One open to install more RAM and a braodcom wifi card. And in the future I am hoping to do the Touch Screen mod that funny enough I found on ebay for $100 roughly. The cool thing with that apparantly is that it uses the USB bus, provided the ability for 3 more USB ports. That will be in the future and I will let you guys know...

Regarding the USB devices not loading unless booted with them plugged in, I have fixed it based on harbot's suggestion. Updating the System.kext file to read 9.5.0 matching what the 9.5.0 kernel that I'm using...somehow I had 9.4.0 System.kext...

Use kext helper after deleting the existing system.kext file from S/L/E then repair disk permissions in Disk Utility and reboot. Then it's fixed!

I've added the 9.5.0 System.kext file for anyone who doesn't have it.

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for the upload, I greatly appreciate it and I am sure those of us who have had the same problem as well are scratching our heads. I did the full re-install yesterday and that is when I realized the one pac that SticMac put together contained the 9.4.0 System.kext. I used everything else in his pack but the mach kernel as well, and it all works great.

Thanks everyone in this forum

~Stephen

Please!!! help!

Friends

I´m using Windows XP with NTFS, and I´ve tried this tutorial, but I´m keeping having system hang out just after the "Preparing Instalation" at "Welcome screen", the diplay shows black screen and goes to prompt, and it show System Halted by root.

At the boot screen i´ve noted some messages like: root file system is read only.

Any ideas?

Friends

Any ideas?

Please!!! help!

Part of the problem you could be having, and I dont know if this is in your wording. But you would need to use Partition Magic on the Windows side to create that 20 GB into its own partition. It cannot just sit there as Free space. With creating that as a partition OS X can see that to be able to install. Also how did you burn the setup DVD you are using?

And another quick thing...

For those interested in a very awesome and accurate AppleACPIBatteryManager, check out this link....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ppleACPIBattery

It works awesome on my Aspire one....

~Stephen

And a side note/update:

Just received my Dell 1390 WiFi card, took apart, installed, and instantly recognized by OS X (no drivers/kext's needed). Woohoo I have wireless freedom...!!!

And another quick thing...

For those interested in a very awesome and accurate AppleACPIBatteryManager, check out this link....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ppleACPIBattery

It works awesome on my Aspire one....

~Stephen

And a side note/update:

Just received my Dell 1390 WiFi card, took apart, installed, and instantly recognized by OS X (no drivers/kext's needed). Woohoo I have wireless freedom...!!!

Yeah, that BatteryManager works great! I agree, I found it the other day.

I also have the 1390, and it definitely the right way to go!

Hi;

It's been a little while since I've tried making a hackintosh, since I bought myself a MacBook and have been using it since ;) but now I have an AA1, and am very pleased with it, and this tutorial/discussion. I'm gathering everything together, but I need some clarification: is sleep possible on the VooDoo beta 2 kernel?

And if there is no chance of sleep whatsoever, has anyone enabled/tested putting the AA1 under 'deep sleep' in OS X?

Just an idea, for those of us like myself who need to be able to move quickly with their OS X enabled AA1:

Under OS X, install InsomniaX (prevents the computer from going to sleep under OS X)

Now, download the hibernation dashboard widget

Ensure the widget is set to Deep Sleep, not safe or regular.

I have no way of testing this until my external CD bay arrives and I can actually install OS X, but if anyone would like to try it, I would definitely appreciate it!

Also, pertaining to USB problems: would a USB WiFi adapter get the job done, rather than actually swapping in a new card?

Many thanks.

Hi;

It's been a little while since I've tried making a hackintosh, since I bought myself a MacBook and have been using it since ;) but now I have an AA1, and am very pleased with it, and this tutorial/discussion. I'm gathering everything together, but I need some clarification: is sleep possible on the VooDoo beta 2 kernel?

And if there is no chance of sleep whatsoever, has anyone enabled/tested putting the AA1 under 'deep sleep' in OS X?

Just an idea, for those of us like myself who need to be able to move quickly with their OS X enabled AA1:

Under OS X, install InsomniaX (prevents the computer from going to sleep under OS X)

Now, download the hibernation dashboard widget

Ensure the widget is set to Deep Sleep, not safe or regular.

I have no way of testing this until my external CD bay arrives and I can actually install OS X, but if anyone would like to try it, I would definitely appreciate it!

Also, pertaining to USB problems: would a USB WiFi adapter get the job done, rather than actually swapping in a new card?

Many thanks.

Have not tried the VooDoo Beta 2, but I know earlier in the thread someone said it does not sleep. Have not tried Deep Sleep and call it stupidity I guess, but there is a Deep Sleep? well its good to learn one new thing everyday. Thanks for the links on the deep sleep, and as for the USB Wifi you should be able to do that without a problem, but I would say for the price, the internal solution is not bad. And its funny, the Dell1390 card is not actually by Dell so I didn't have a problem with buying it. Its some OEM maker from China that labels it for them and works flawlessly. I also only paid $15 on eBay for the thing so I would say between the two and the straight Airport compatibility, do the internal swap, its really easy.

Good luck..

~Stephen

Part of the problem you could be having, and I dont know if this is in your wording. But you would need to use Partition Magic on the Windows side to create that 20 GB into its own partition. It cannot just sit there as Free space. With creating that as a partition OS X can see that to be able to install. Also how did you burn the setup DVD you are using?

SBMac is correct have to check how did u do the HDD partitioning, Partition Magic can be usefull or any linux live cd will do also

Please take a note that you have to set both partition XP and OsX as active if you want dual boot on your system