Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

Hello

I to have just installed OSX x86 edition and was going throug the 3rd party drivers section of OSx86 project and thought wouldn't it be cool if some one made a site dedicated to 3rd party driver development for OSx86 edition. I would say the site could do the following

-Link to 3rd Party drivers for x86 OSX

-Link for source code for that driver

-Instructions to install the driver (though i would encourage developers to use the OSX installer for ease for everyone)

The kinds of drivers I was thinking were soundcards, wireless network, wired network, soundcards, video cards, sata controllers

I would be happy setup a site like that, but how many people can we get on board for developing the drivers (im no programmer, thoug i can do some php etc and we app stuff)

WOW nice one !!! thanks alot, usin Safari now :P

good job ;)

i thought i had error, apparently though it's working :D

pc info:

nforce 4 giga lan, same device id ..0507 or something

OSX 10.4.6 ;)

heres what's in my log from just now..

un 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Initializing.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Probing.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Starting.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0057, subsystem 0x1462:0x7125 opened.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Mapped from 0xFE029000 of length 4096.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Allocated 3072 bytes of contiguous memory for DMA: rx at 0x23baa000, tx at 0x23baa400, wired at 0x1d47000.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Found nForce4 LAN with MAC: 00:13:D3:9E:7F:C2.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Found PHY 0x5040:0x0003 at address 1.

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:13:d3:9e:7f:c2

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[82]: exited abnormally: Hangup

Jun 10 02:31:05 mark-davids-computer configd[52]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jun 10 02:36:20 mark-davids-computer lookupd[175]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Sat Jun 10 02:36:20 2006

Jun 10 02:37:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Jun 10 02:37:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Starting transmit/receive engines

Jun 10 02:37:05 mark-davids-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Link speed now 100Mbps, code 0x10064.

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer configd[52]: WirelessAirPortDeviceNameCopy(): no AirPort driver found

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer launchd: Server 432f in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[175]: exited abnormally: Hangup

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer configd[52]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/enable-network

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer configd[52]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer lookupd[181]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Sat Jun 10 02:37:08 2006

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer configd[52]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jun 10 02:37:08 mark-davids-computer lookupd[182]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Sat Jun 10 02:37:08 2006

Jun 10 01:37:10 mark-davids-computer configd[52]: target=enable-network: disabled

OTHER TERMINAL:

mark-davids-computer:~ mark$ cd ~/Desktop//forcedeth//build/Release/

mark-davids-computer:~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release mark$ sudo chown -R root:wheel forcedeth.kext

Password:

mark-davids-computer:~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release mark$ sudo chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

mark-davids-computer:~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release mark$ sudo kextload -v forcedeth.kext

kextload: extension forcedeth.kext appears to be valid

kextload: loading extension forcedeth.kext

kextload: forcedeth.kext loaded successfully

kextload: loading personalities named:

kextload: nForce 4 LAN

kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel

kextload: matching started for forcedeth.kext

mark-davids-computer:~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release mark$ sudo kextunload -v forcedeth.kext

Password:

I decided to test it out at that stage :P

lol it prob not work if i restart

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First thank you very much for your work !!

On my PC this patch works, but when i reboot or when i shut down the and i launch the pc, i've to do again the manipulation/patch.

What have i to do ?

Enough thank you, it's very plain to do and it works; my problem it's just a to get my mac more comfortable.

Sorry for my english and thank you for your help

Tigrou

edit: oh yes, i'm on a A8N-SLI Premium with a 4400+ X2 and two 7800GTX PoV

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much planetbeing I have a working ethernet on ASUS K8N & nForce3 250 chipset..

But, after few hours of downloading something via aMule, ethernet just stops. There are no errors panics etc but I can't even open web pages after few hours.. What is that any ideas? Is there anyone suffering from similar problem??

Hello... I've been so excited to use OSX on my PC almost there... I have an nForce 410 chipset and I'm tring to get the forcedeth drivers to work.

Many people are having luck but not me, I installed the driver and there is basicaly zero output from the driver... please see attached screenshot.

Any ideas... I have X-Code loaded now and I'm going to start digging for a solution so if anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks.

post-2606-1153700629_thumb.jpg

Thanks but the first terminal in that screen shot shows the output of system.log there is nothing.

You have to look at the system log after kextload.

Issue the "sudo dmesg" command on the Terminal, or open the Console application and select the system.log file.

Oops. Maybe the network card device id has changed on nForce 410?

You may check this in Windows: Open Device Manager, right click your card, properties, details tab, and read.

In my A8N-E "NVNET_DEV0057" appears on the string.

My MSI board has the ID NVNET_DEV0269

can I just edit the kext info.plist to make this work??

I'm going to try that now anyway.

Thanks

Oops. Maybe the network card device id has changed on nForce 410?

You may check this in Windows: Open Device Manager, right click your card, properties, details tab, and read.

In my A8N-E "NVNET_DEV0057" appears on the string.

One step closer... ok I added my ID's to the forcedeth.kext info.plist and now I get the following output that looks promising...

The MAC address is correct but I get a 169 IP address and no connection.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: NMAC: family specific matching fails

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Initializing.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Probing.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: WARNING - your nVidia device 0x10DE:0x0269 is not known to work, but it could be supported in the future. Please contact the coder. Continuing anyway...

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Starting.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: PCI system 0x10DE:0x0269, subsystem 0x1462:0x7207 opened.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Mapped from 0xF9FDC000 of length 4096.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Allocated 3072 bytes of contiguous memory for DMA: rx at 0x22bf9000, tx at 0x22bf9400, wired at 0x5405000.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Found nForce4 LAN with MAC: 00:13:D3:EC:0A:07.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Found PHY 0x0000:0x0020 at address 1.

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: com_triton_forcedeth: Ethernet address 00:13:d3:ec:0a:07

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Enabling... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Starting transmit/receive engines

Jul 24 09:06:54 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Network link down.

Jul 24 09:06:56 robert-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Link speed now 100Mbps, code 0x10064.

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[88]: exited abnormally: Hangup

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer configd[50]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/enable-network

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer configd[50]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer lookupd[175]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Mon Jul 24 09:07:01 2006

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer ntpdate[187]: can't find host time.apple.com\n

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer ntpdate[187]: no servers can be used, exiting

Jul 24 09:07:01 robert-computer configd[50]: target=enable-network: disabled

UPDATE: I've also ran the forcedeth-nockd.kext and have attched the output...

My MSI board has the ID NVNET_DEV0269

can I just edit the kext info.plist to make this work??

I'm going to try that now anyway.

Thanks

forcedethlog.rtf

SUCCSESS!!

Ok... what I did to make this all work.

First make sure your using the newest drivers... there are two posts with driver attachments in this thread the second one suggests that it is more current but it is the one attached to the first post that is newer... I also had to use the forcedeth-nockd.kext and edit the info.plist file in that package to add my nforce 410 ID's.

The nforce ID I have is 0269 if anyone would like to add them into the driver for the future :)

After doing this everything is working fine... but I get a lot of debug output to the logs and can't seem to use the forcedeth-nock.kext as it say's it is not a valid package. <--- anyone know how to fix this ?

Thanks.

I have the problem where it assigns 169 ip address to my nic. I have tried all the different files in the builds section. If I need to post my log file just let me know. I have my comp connected to a Dlink router.

SUCCSESS!!

First make sure your using the newest drivers... there are two posts with driver attachments in this thread the second one suggests that it is more current but it is the one attached to the first post that is newer... I also had to use the forcedeth-nockd.kext and edit the info.plist file in that package to add my nforce 410 ID's.

The nforce ID I have is 0269 if anyone would like to add them into the driver for the future :blink:

After doing this everything is working fine... but I get a lot of debug output to the logs and can't seem to use the forcedeth-nock.kext as it say's it is not a valid package. <--- anyone know how to fix this ?

Thanks.

What model of MSI motherboard do you have? I own the K8NGM2-L and would be great If I can make the onboard lan to work. BTW, I'm not sure what driver to download, so, can you please attach the one you're using ?

Thanks in advance.

SUCCSESS!!

The nforce ID I have is 0269 if anyone would like to add them into the driver for the future :)

Thanks.

this sounds very promising... but what do u edit (exactly) and into where?

what i did:

-followed steps 1-3 (using zip attached to 1st post),

-followed steps 6-9 (replacing all forcedeth.kext referances with forcedeth-nockd.kext, and replacing both instances of 0057 with 0269 in info.plist in \forcedeth\build\release\forcedeth-nockd.kext package)

..which didn't work..

FYI i have a 410 mobo (biostar 6100)

what i did:

-followed steps 6-9 (replacing all forcedeth.kext referances with forcedeth-nockd.kext, and replacing both instances of 0057 with 0269 in info.plist in \forcedeth\build\release\forcedeth-nockd.kext package)

..which didn't work..

I have the same mobo. What happens when you do the install?

The MB I use is the K8NGM2-L also... the biostar may not use the same ID's... use Device Manager in Windows and look up the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Properties and then Details Tab you'll see a reference of NVNET_DEVXXXX <---XXXX is your ID.

If you get a 169 address power down your system and unplug it from the wall for 30 sec... I think the forcedeth driver being used may suffer from the same ACPI bugs that the older Linux forcedeth driver did and after booting into windows and then back to Linux the driver would not work untel you remove the power to the card for 30 sec... you do need to unplug the power from the wall because most cards have wake on lan power even when the system is powered off.

what i did:

..which didn't work..

The MB I use is the K8NGM2-L also... the biostar may not use the same ID's... use Device Manager in Windows and look up the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Properties and then Details Tab you'll see a reference of NVNET_DEVXXXX <---XXXX is your ID.

If you get a 169 address power down your system and unplug it from the wall for 30 sec... I think the forcedeth driver being used may suffer from the same ACPI bugs that the older Linux forcedeth driver did and after booting into windows and then back to Linux the driver would not work untel you remove the power to the card for 30 sec... you do need to unplug the power from the wall because most cards have wake on lan power even when the system is powered off.

Well I will try that. I didn't even know about that bug. I has the same ID as all 410 boards. Thanks

Well I will try that. I didn't even know about that bug. I has the same ID as all 410 boards. Thanks

Well I tried that and I am typing this from my mac os. :( Now I just need to get my Vid to work better. LOL

:):robot::idea:

Thanks A TON Planetbeing/Pupdawg for helping me get my ethernet up and running on my NForce 4 mobo (nvidia ethernet dev 0269).

After shutting down and unplugging my power cord for 30 seconds because DHCP was not assigning properly it all worked. I now respond from Camino browser :gathering:

1 down, 2 to go (sound/graphics)

Aien/pupdawg; are my actions outlined in 'what i did' exactly the same as u did? (i'm still not sure of my editing for the device ID; but i do know my device ID is 0269.)

and nothing more? (i'm think i've read u have to do something else to get it to work after a restart.. but maybe i'm wrong..)

i'm not sure how i can find out weather i'm getting a 169 or not.. i dont think i ever got (doing what i outlined^^^) an NIC found in the system properties..

please make it 100% idiot-proof if possible, as it can get a little confusing/fustrating :)

..i'd like to know if i'm doing the right thing before i try again (with the 30s off..)

~thanks