• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

I have built 3, working 24/7 almost a year. Editing, VFX, Motion Graphic....SD/HD/.

how the hell do you edit with good results in motion final cut and the 8800GT?

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
FCP works well with 8800GT. I haven't used Motion in real production (for compositng / motion graphics only shake & AE), so I can not tell how it would keep up there. However i've made couple of short tests with particles, 3D cam and some CC, and I haven't seen any issues (except interface is a bit clumsy when thumbs are on).

stefan1968

stefan1968

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
I'm extremely curious, because I'm seriously considering a Hackintosh for video and sound editing - what components did you use?
Is there a "definitive" list of components for the ultimate fast and bug free 'hackintosh?

Thanks!

sampledi

sampledi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
There is no "definitive list" but you should go with Intel CPU (Quad for demanding tasks), SATA HDDs, SATA DVD, USB Mouse&Keyboard and adequate MB. Actually MB choice is crucial for building a hack. Check this page: http://forum.insanel...o...id=813269 and see for which MB users have reported successful Leopard retail installation. On same page you can find couple of "preboot" images for different MB.
Considering GPU, my recommendation is 8800 GT.
USB or Firewire audio interface would be also great (I have couple of M-Audio Fast Track)

ulin

ulin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Yes and NO. Tue most composting can be done on a *nix box. Depending on the program being used. Quantel uses win 2k for it's eQ and iQ. But as for editing there is no full featured professional solution for SD or HD. There are some editing application but with nowhere the capabilities of an Avid or FCP box. You don't cut movies in finishing boxes.

Smoke isn't exactly a "finishing box" only, to an extent it is but flint/flame + conform would fit that description more imho. More on the front of turnkey all-in-ones you have ifx Piranha (http://www.ifx.com/products/piranha) and even a Cinerella based turnkey (don't underestimate Cinerella) http://www.lmahd.com/cinelerra.html.
As far as compositing goes you won't get a lot more out of Apple/windows there either (shake, nuke, fusion flint/flame/inferno, houdini).. In terms of film work linux is already there, we'll see if it gets there in terms of TV/hd video stuff anytime soon though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy