Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

Hi,

I tried to get this mobo working last night using bootlader132 and retail 10.5.0. Unfortunately, it gets to the first grey loading screen waits for a bit, then tells me I need to restart my computer. I don't even get to the bit where you can open disk utility etc. Do I need a different boot program? or is it because I'm using an IDE DVD drive? or my graphics card (nVidea 9500GT). Any Ideas would be very helpful. Thanks.

My setup is:

Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

Intel Q6600

4 gb ddr2 1066mhz ram

nVidea 9500gt 512mb

500mb SATA Hard drive (set to AHCI in the BIOS)

IDE DVD-R (worked ok with kalyway 1.2)

I used grub-dfe, boot-turbo-munky.bin, and a retail installer to get the OS installed on this board. See Munky's post in the Genius Bar. The video card won't prevent you from installing, but the IDE DVD drive might. You can install the OS with half working video, then get the video card up to speed.

See the post linked in my sig for more info on this board.

That should be a very sweet system once you get it working!

I used grub-dfe, boot-turbo-munky.bin, and a retail installer to get the OS installed on this board. See Munky's post in the Genius Bar. The video card won't prevent you from installing, but the IDE DVD drive might. You can install the OS with half working video, then get the video card up to speed.

See the post linked in my sig for more info on this board.

That should be a very sweet system once you get it working!

Seems like I've got alot of reading to do! Amazing answer, thankyou! So many links, so much new information! I'm going to try your method and if that fails, I'm fairly sure it must be the ide dvd drive - it's the only bit left from my old system anyway, could do with an upgrade, but ran out of cash after spending to much on the case ;) .

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I tried to get this mobo working last night using bootlader132 and retail 10.5.0. Unfortunately, it gets to the first grey loading screen waits for a bit, then tells me I need to restart my computer. I don't even get to the bit where you can open disk utility etc. Do I need a different boot program? or is it because I'm using an IDE DVD drive? or my graphics card (nVidea 9500GT). Any Ideas would be very helpful. Thanks.

My setup is:

Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

Intel Q6600

4 gb ddr2 1066mhz ram

nVidea 9500gt 512mb

500mb SATA Hard drive (set to AHCI in the BIOS)

IDE DVD-R (worked ok with kalyway 1.2)

After reading several posts, i am pretty sure it must be due to the IDE DVD drive.

You have to get a SATA dvd drive. I had a similar problem and the only solution i found was using only SATA HDs and DVD drive. I also used bootlader132 and retail 10.5.0.

Hope this helps.

If I disable the following:

1.) Onboard LAN - already have a Netgear GA311 - (Realtek RTL8169 chipset, which from research on here works OOB).

2.) IDE - won't be using.

3.) Onboard sound - will be using an external USB or Firewire card.

And assuming an install from a 10.5.6 Retail Leopard disc and an HCL Nvidia card, what remaining kexts will I need?

Thanks in advance.

If I disable the following:

1.) Onboard LAN - already have a Netgear GA311 - (Realtek RTL8169 chipset, which from research on here works OOB).

2.) IDE - won't be using.

3.) Onboard sound - will be using an external USB or Firewire card.

And assuming an install from a 10.5.6 Retail Leopard disc and an HCL Nvidia card, what remaining kexts will I need?

Thanks in advance.

The dsmos or decryptor .kext and the chameleon or similar boot loader installed that would be it to boot it. Then you would need the OpenHaltRestart.kext for that to work properly and if not using a patched Chameleon like the chameleonsm to inject the proper settings you would want AppleSMBIOEFI.kext or similar for fixing that. You could want to take a look at the DSDT.aml/ACPI patcher and create a DSDT.aml file that would inject the proper settings for your video card so you would not need to use either the EFI string or nvinjext.kext methods for that to work. BTW the NICs on this board work OOB you just need a fix for time machine (can be included in the DSDT.aml) and if wanting Bonjour working properly then the RealtekR1000.kext. Lastly if you do not use a DSDT.aml file to fix the HPET/ACPI then you need the latest Disabler.kext to prevent kernel panics from the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext this file can be deleted/renamed to stop this but you may want the Disabler anyways depending on the card you choose as some like mine (8800GT) have mouse/video lag since the 10.5.6 update. One more thing if you have an old SB Live or Audigy card laying around these can be used with the kX driver that can be found on this forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
***Gigabyte EP45-DS3R - AUDIO FIX W/Optical in/out

Here are (2) TWO KEXT files from my system to fix your audio issues. These should enable your audio if you don't have it working yet. In the zip file contains the two kext files and the Kext Helper B7 app to install kext (so you don't have to command line chmod your permissions).

When I upgraded to 10.5.6, my audio obviously would not work. I grabbed the two kexts from my time machine backup and replaced with kext helper b7 app and it works flawlessly.

You can try this if you are having audio problems. If it doesn't work, the worse that can happen is you are back to square one.

Good luck!

This completely fixed my audio issue. I'm indebted to you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the AHCIFix thingy... it was my inspiration for fixing my ICH10R issue. By adding in an entry for the ICH10R to the 10.5.7 vanilla AppleAHCIPort.kext and the other little additions to the IOATAFamily.kext then updating the mkext - BOOM! my ODD mounted the OS X DVD I had in it and then I got warnings about my Intel RAID disks. No biggy about the Intel RAID disks I can live without those, but delighted about making this progress. I now have an optical drive. I'm about to edit the Chameleon kexts to see if I can see DVDs when in Chameleon.

It would be amazing to see the RAID disks work in OS but I really don't need them right now since I have OS X on a separate non-RAID SATA drive anyway.

Thanks again!

Hello Everyone

I recently changed from Abit iP35Pro to this board (sig) While it has mostly been smooth sailing (except audio hiccups now solved) There are some things that need looking into.

I fixed manually the Power button in DSDT txt file {Device (PWRB) _HID change to _CID) now the power button sleeps the computer when that option is chosen in system preferences - energy saver. But otherwise it does not bring up the shutdown menu which is shown by ctrl+F12 as is supposed to. Since this is the EP45 thread I hope someone with better insight might shed light on this issue.

Another thing is the AHCI delay. The iSrc Bios lingers at it for about 12 seconds. The older board I had Abit iP35Pro too had AHCI and that had no delay of this sort.

I'm in a similar situation, I just upgraded from the Abit Ip35pro to the ep45T-ds3r. I have heard rumor that the new Gigabyte beta bios speeds up the iSrc booting.

How did you find to change the power button from HID to CID?

• 2 months later...
***Gigabyte EP45-DS3R - AUDIO FIX W/Optical in/out

Here are (2) TWO KEXT files from my system to fix your audio issues. These should enable your audio if you don't have it working yet. In the zip file contains the two kext files and the Kext Helper B7 app to install kext (so you don't have to command line chmod your permissions).

When I upgraded to 10.5.6, my audio obviously would not work. I grabbed the two kexts from my time machine backup and replaced with kext helper b7 app and it works flawlessly.

You can try this if you are having audio problems. If it doesn't work, the worse that can happen is you are back to square one.

Good luck!

Thanks for the fix. It works on 10.5.8 but having problems fixing the permissions with disk utility I keep getting the same messages.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/CodeResources", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/CodeSignature", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/CodeResources", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext/Contents/CodeSignature", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/CodeResources", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext/Contents/CodeSignature", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DspFuncLib.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DspFuncLib.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DspFuncLib.kext/Contents/CodeResources", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/DspFuncLib.kext/Contents/CodeSignature", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/CodeResources", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOHDAFamily.kext/Contents/CodeSignature", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

How do you fix this manually? I'm a noob so forgive me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey,

i got a question. i got mac working on my gigabyte ep45-ds3r with iatkos s3. but the only thing that doesnt work is my dvd drive which is ide. are there any option to fix that. please help me. it would run perfect if i could get that fixed.

:D ZAZA