• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

AppleNick

AppleNick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Doesn´t seem faster. Still in early stages. But very stable so far.

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts
Lots of Snow Topics here. No good to close others and centralize all stuff in only one?

dorkbydesign.

dorkbydesign.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
yeah. ppc not compatible my asian ass. it works. i just stuck it on my eMac 1.42Ghz G4. all you need to do is replace Mac OS file in the disc with the one from leopard. it works the same. its just that system preferences crashes occasionally like 9/10 times

 Suzie's Soliloquy

 Suzie's Soliloquy

Professor of Mac-Ology

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
9/10 is hardly occasional...

Embio

Embio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
first 'hard crash' Kernel panic today, unplugged apple dial up modem :hysterical:

Goron

Goron

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
@LEVKOS:

Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age (15 actually XD) but I've ceased to become excited by new Microsoft releases... disappointment only gets you depressed...

How cynical does one have to be after having used (and currently using at work) Microsoft Products for more than fifteen years ??? ;P

A speed increase in 10.6 would be nice but with current hardware 10.5 is speedy enough, i´d like to see better OGL speed or a better interface for vmware to support more games in future. This is one of the greatest worries people have to swap their M$ for something else: the support of games.
... just my 2 cent ...

Cheers

Goron

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
runs well on my mac pro, using a different build to the ones floating around

Captain Nellie

Captain Nellie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

runs well on my mac pro, using a different build to the ones floating around

what build are you using?

f41qu3

f41qu3

Insanely Retired Guru

• Retired
  • 458 posts
ey Kiko, stop trickin' me :(

Numberzz

Numberzz

Resident iPhone Expert

• Retired
  • 3,452 posts

what build are you using?

Kiko is an ADC Developer, and has access to all the latest builds of stuff that we can't get our hands on. :)

Bearcat

Bearcat

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Kiko is an ADC Developer, and has access to all the latest builds of stuff that we can't get our hands on. :(

That might be true if Snow was on ADC, but I just checked, and it's not.

iScott

iScott

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I am posting from 10.6. It is slow to start up on my 20" 2.4GHZ iMac with 4 GB of ram. I am running it off of a second partition.

superchase

superchase

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It'd be nice if the PPC were to be supported in the next OS release. I bought a G5 just as they were going out of production. It works fine. Tiger works great. Very stable. Very nice. No problems at all. If the next release of Snow Leopard works on the PPC, that'd be good news cuz it would mean that most of the mainstream apps will still work on it and be released for at least 2-3 more years to come. It's difficlt to see how Snow Leopard couldn't support the G5. I mean, the cutoff for a lot of memory intensive graphics apps still being released is still at the 64-bit G5. And they still work like a charm. If Snow Leopard comes in a 64 bit flavor, it'd only work better on the G5, wouldn't you think? Because the OS will finally be optimized for a chip was is native 64 bit and in many cases, dual core--a technology which Snow Leopard addresses. So Apple, if yer reading this, please continue to support the G5. If you come out with a 64 bit version of Snow Leopard, I will buy because I think it will work great.

If Apple does decide to drop support for the PPC, it'll be a business/political decision, not a functional one. Apple could easily support the PPC in Snow Leopard if it chose to. All these pro-Intel people should realize that's why Apple initially stopped using your chip after the LISA in the 80s. Because Intel was truly never made for versatile motion graphics. Still isn't. Was meant for static CAD vectors and spreadsheets. That's why the Intel chips excel at AutoCAD, but often fall short in After Effects and video editing. I've found that one shortfall of the Intel chips, but like a previous post has indicated, it is that they seem to run out of memory after a couple of hours, and regardless of whether it's Intel of Apple, they slow down, and the computer has to be re-booted. Intel Chips seem to suck the memory out of a computer. They're cheap and not that well made. Unless Apple releases its own propritetary souped up version of the chip, those shortcomings will be evident in the next release of Snow Leopard.

Also, why when Apple dropped the PPCs, the gaming companies immediatly snapped them up that market share. Sony, Nintendo and even Might Wintel Microsoft use the PPC's for their gaming systems, because the Intel chips don't cut it.

ufo_all

ufo_all

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Any chances on 32bits as i heard snow leopard will be for 64bits.. if that is the case than who going to buy new cpu...

Wman

Wman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

No way in hell my G5 is not getting upgraded. This thing was like $3000 a few years ago. Considering there are still more G3-G5 PowerPC Mac users (think 10 years of sales) than Intel Mac users, they'd lose a large segment of their userbase if they cut off support for all PPC. Now, I think 10.6 cutting off support for G4's (or at least a cutoff similar to Leopards, allowing the higher-end G4s, maybe 1Ghz+) is fair, as they are already extending support right now to computers made 6 years ago, and assuming it comes out sometime next year, a slightly higher standard is reasonable. But to take away support for PowerPC computers is a mistake, so early on. Remember that G5 Xserves and G5 Power Macs were being made well into 2006, almost 2007. It wouldn't be apple-like to cut off support for 2 1/2 to 3 year old machines - isn't that one of the things that Apple is famed for?

Now, I do understand that Apple's a business, and they'll do what gets them the most money, but in order to keep getting money they have to get new customers but also keep the old ones.

I agree. Abandoning PPC wouldn't be good. Not only were Xserve G5 and Powermac G5s being made until almost 2007, but the PBG4 was the last pro notebook befor MBP. A lot of people are still using those (including me) and many of them are 1GHZ + PPC. I think they should only abandon G3 or old G4. G4 was the most popular PPC and a lot of people still use them. If they were to abandon only some PPC, I think G4 should still be supported.

lol. I just spent like 100$ on a new screen for my powerbook. I don't want that to have been a waste.

Adrian Fogge

Adrian Fogge

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 794 posts
Only $100 for a new screen? Damn!!! I just spent $120 on a new battery.

Still, I find it *very* likely that Apple will say G5 or Intel only. That way, they would be able to say that the majority of their users are using a fully 64-bit OS on 64-bit hardware.

Sure, there are the Original CoreSolos and CoreDuos that they will need to worry about, however from the look of things, they are making a very large push towards getting Snow Leopard not only a fully 64-bit OS, but leveraging several new technologies designed around making better use of multiple CPUs and support for offloading tasks to the GPU.

When you consider that the vast majority of the G4 machines out there are single processor, single core and have a graphics card which does not have dedicated memory as well as supporting OpenGL 2.0 or above as to allow for IEEE 754 compliant rounding behavior for floating-point calculation accuracy, you begin to wonder what the point of even trying with any remaining G4s are. The PowerMac G5s and Xserves meet all of these requirements.

With all that being considered, I would still anticipate that Snow Leopard will be the last OS to support PowerPC processors.

~Adrian

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,168 posts

Any chances on 32bits as i heard snow leopard will be for 64bits.. if that is the case than who going to buy new cpu...

Of course. 32-bit will still work perfectly.

rathalos

rathalos

i H4XX0R B1LL GaT3s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Anyway, tried my Snow leopard today (build 10a261)... It might be fast and snappy, but i think its really buggy also..... like i couldnt boot into loginwindow on my second boot, and the whole GUI hung up at the spinning line wheel and occasionally flashing the mouse cursor... i think its really far from being a stable release... Finder window preferences are totally screwed up and refusing to remember default preferences.. plus the vertical grid spacing is totally screwed... its so god damn huge...i could easily fit one extra row of icons in between the spaces..... plus all the cool little hacks like istat needs lots of work with the menu cracker cos it doesnt work in snow leo.... went back to leopard in about 15min of playing around...

superchase

superchase

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I agree. Abandoning PPC wouldn't be good. Not only were Xserve G5 and Powermac G5s being made until almost 2007, but the PBG4 was the last pro notebook befor MBP. A lot of people are still using those (including me) and many of them are 1GHZ + PPC. I think they should only abandon G3 or old G4. G4 was the most popular PPC and a lot of people still use them. If they were to abandon only some PPC, I think G4 should still be supported.

lol. I just spent like 100$ on a new screen for my powerbook. I don't want that to have been a waste.

You'll have to get a new damn MacIntel anyway. It's all garbage that OS X 10.6 will work perfectly on all existing Intel Macs. All that new stuff comin' out, Final Cut Studio 3, 64 bit Shake will require a completely new computer with capabilities the present generation of MacIntels lack, simply don't have. Many of them will be forced into obsolesence by the new hardware requirements anyway. Maybe not as quickly as the PPC, but many of them except the most powerful of them like the Pro Towers or top of the line MBP. They'll simply need a lot more horsepower, and I bet, more powerful chips, motherboards, etc. etc. So I'm waiting to see all those MacIntel owners who spent just as much or more on what they thought was the latest and greatest, crying their eyes out when they realize that they've been tossed out of the circle too. Which is why I wouldn't even bother buying a new Mac until 10.6 comes out along with all the 64 bit apps whch go along with it.

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 3,168 posts

You'll have to get a new damn MacIntel anyway. It's all garbage that OS X 10.6 will work perfectly on all existing Intel Macs. All that new stuff comin' out,

??? Whatever, the hardware requirements will be an Intel Mac. Any Intel Mac.

It'll even run on a single core Intel Atom :angel:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy