OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"

69 posts in this topic

I would be quite pleased with a carbon only (all x64) OS 10. Performance and security updates are fine for me, I like things lean and functional.

*cocoa :)

Apple have always got some surprises up it's sleeve. I've got into the habit of not getting into pre WWDC rumours.

I don't have a clue what to expect, but it'll be a surprise, perhaps good, perhaps bad. :)

It better be a free update. I actually paid for 10.5.. and I'm not about to pay for another 130 bucks in 6 months for a new update that isn't that much of a update.As far as everyone asking for a leak.. who cares.. its WAY too early of a beta.. its prob full of bugs and nothing is really going to work yet. So just wait.. it'll come soon.

Oh, so no visual improvements but performance... I would have loved to see a "Fade In" effect when restarting/shutting down osX just like in vista :(That would look so much better...
I don't want ANY thing thats ANYTHING like Vista to every come close to my OS X software.
If the final release is Intel only.... :dev:
Intel is the future and current chip that Apple is using. Why wouldn't they go to it. Also its a way to force PPC users to upgrade which = "More green in the blue" (sorry thats from the simpsons).. More cash in Apple's pockets. If you want to upgrade to 10.6 you'll be the next one in line with a $2000 piece of equipment at the apple store.Its smart from a business stand point.. but it does screw over some users.
usually its a 2 -3 day wait for a leak, no one is going to be stupid enough to upload it using Apple's wifi at the conference, and their hotel rooms will charge a lot for wifi..........so what we need to do is mug one of them on the way back to their hotel from the conference! :P
In the days of the oink we prob would have had it by now. But whoever would be stupid enough to leak it at the conference on Apple's network is a idiot... and its not worth it for them. I'm sure we will see a copy of it in a week or so. But its going to be such a early copy that I'm sure its going to be horrible and full of more bugs then anyone can handle. So why even install it? I guess the novelty of having a beta OS isn't that much excitement anymore.. I just get pissed off with it after about 2 days of programs not working and shutting down every 5 minutes.

It better be a free update. I actually paid for 10.5.. and I'm not about to pay for another 130 bucks in 6 months for a new update that isn't that much of a update.As far as everyone asking for a leak.. who cares.. its WAY too early of a beta.. its prob full of bugs and nothing is really going to work yet. So just wait.. it'll come soon.I don't want ANY thing thats ANYTHING like Vista to every come close to my OS X software.Intel is the future and current chip that Apple is using. Why wouldn't they go to it. Also its a way to force PPC users to upgrade which = "More green in the blue" (sorry thats from the simpsons).. More cash in Apple's pockets. If you want to upgrade to 10.6 you'll be the next one in line with a $2000 piece of equipment at the apple store.Its smart from a business stand point.. but it does screw over some users.

No way in hell my G5 is not getting upgraded. This thing was like $3000 a few years ago. Considering there are still more G3-G5 PowerPC Mac users (think 10 years of sales) than Intel Mac users, they'd lose a large segment of their userbase if they cut off support for all PPC. Now, I think 10.6 cutting off support for G4's (or at least a cutoff similar to Leopards, allowing the higher-end G4s, maybe 1Ghz+) is fair, as they are already extending support right now to computers made 6 years ago, and assuming it comes out sometime next year, a slightly higher standard is reasonable. But to take away support for PowerPC computers is a mistake, so early on. Remember that G5 Xserves and G5 Power Macs were being made well into 2006, almost 2007. It wouldn't be apple-like to cut off support for 2 1/2 to 3 year old machines - isn't that one of the things that Apple is famed for?

Now, I do understand that Apple's a business, and they'll do what gets them the most money, but in order to keep getting money they have to get new customers but also keep the old ones.