• This topic is locked This topic is locked
695 replies to this topic

EdFlyer

EdFlyer

Computer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
the short is, no this driver is for sound, but yeah, they are related....much of the same code is used in the modem driver from linux, but is, a separate driver.

besides? who uses dial-up anymore?
(a bit satirical)

scousi

scousi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Just a quick question to the devs. I've been told by dimbulb that the internal 56k modem in HP/Compaq laptops is a part of the sound system (Windows XP calls the modem "AC97 Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP"). Thus, can one assume that this sound driver may allow OSX to recognise the internal modem component, or will it purely be for sound only?

Thanks for the hard work!

I've never used the modem on myLaptop in XP. I don't even know if it works! I don't think there will be great demand for the modem to work. I want to focus our effort on sound. I haven't had time to spend a single hour this past week for the driver. Hopefully, the next week will be better.

dhruv

dhruv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Oh okay, that's understandable. You guys have been putting in plenty of effort into this as it is.

I just thought that since the modem is a part of the sound system you guys may have that on the agenda, too. Personally I live in a fairly broadband-deprived country, and thus, am quite dependant on my 56k modem whenever I don't have access to a WiFi hotspot. If a modem driver was developed you guys would most certainly be worshipped by anyone else who is in the same situation as me, I'm sure. But, having said that, I understand how you would prefer to focus your time, skills and effort on areas that have high levels of demand.

EdFlyer

EdFlyer

Computer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I haven't used the modem in this laptop at all, even in windows. It may be possible to get a modem driver running, but that would be after sound is finished. It is something to consider.

EdFlyer

EdFlyer

Computer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Out of curiosity has anyone else tried messing with the code. I see there's been downloads, so I guess others have looked at it, has tanyone else attempting hacking at it?

unet

unet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Out of curiosity has anyone else tried messing with the code. I see there's been downloads, so I guess others have looked at it, has tanyone else attempting hacking at it?

I downloaded it yesterday, and I'll try to have a look at it tonite if I have some time :graduated:

glennpratt

glennpratt

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I've downloaded it, but haven't yet had time to look into it... I'm graduating in 2 weeks so that might give me some time.

Peter Gammelgaard

Peter Gammelgaard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Time to a status update!?

EdFlyer

EdFlyer

Computer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Sorry about the lack of posts.

I haven't been able to do much work on the driver in the last week as I have had a lot of work with school, just finished up a few thousand lines of code for my CS class, but now that's submitted and done, I will be able to focus some time on the Sound driver.

so that's the latest news over here.

moid

moid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Ok, man. Take your time. : )
We all hope to meet the driver in the future.

Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Oh okay, that's understandable. You guys have been putting in plenty of effort into this as it is.

I just thought that since the modem is a part of the sound system you guys may have that on the agenda, too. Personally I live in a fairly broadband-deprived country, and thus, am quite dependant on my 56k modem whenever I don't have access to a WiFi hotspot. If a modem driver was developed you guys would most certainly be worshipped by anyone else who is in the same situation as me, I'm sure. But, having said that, I understand how you would prefer to focus your time, skills and effort on areas that have high levels of demand.

I know as someone who is JUST outside of a hotspot at my work area would really appreciate a modem driver, I brought it up on the IRC once and I pretty much got laughed at :blink:

icecubed

icecubed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Any updates?

scousi

scousi

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Any updates?

No unfortunately. My regular job has kept me busy for about 11 hours/day for the last few weeks.

Sazpaimon

Sazpaimon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

No unfortunately. My regular job has kept me busy for about 11 hours/day for the last few weeks.

I feel your pain dude, I just got home from my 12 hour shift, you really dont feel like doing any more work when you finally get home.

EdFlyer

EdFlyer

Computer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
yeah, i've been hit with a lot of work with school, just when i think im done, i have another project, essay, and test. yeah, that and I broke the lcd on my laptop, so I haven't been able to use it for about a week. If all goes well, I should be able to buy another laptop, same specs, to continue work on the driver.

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
thnx for keeping us guys updated :- ))

sound is not the most important thing in the world, but it would be really nice to see it working one day (its the last non working thing on my laptop (5024wlmi) beside wifi, but that shouldnt be hard to fix ->because i know what the problem is..)

digicide

digicide

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well... i gave the source a look through and have nothing to report... except that you guys are really smart. I've only coded for Nintendo DS and it's the sound that's always giving me problems on that, too... good luck with your laptop Ed.

thedopefishlives

thedopefishlives

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I took a look at the source, but I can't make enough of a correlation between it and the Linux kernel source to quite follow what your driver is actually doing. It'll take me a few days to get up to speed, but I should be able to help out eventually.

moid

moid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Hey, 5024...

I have an Acer 4402 And it shares a configuration very similar to yours...
But I tried all the ways, but couldn't succeed in installing OSX native..
How did you do that?

Grateful

greggh

greggh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I have an ATI SB400 board in my new laptop. It came with realtek drivers for the ac97 (Realtek HD.) Is this going to be the same chipset you are trying to support? I am willing to test anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy