[GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Lion

tseug

607 posts in this topic

This method was created (and tested) for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard but it should be relatively easy to modify for any other motherboard. It's a CLI at the moment for this reason but a GUI might exist at some point (Especially if someone else makes one ;) ).

You will be creating a Boot USB that can be used to install OS X Lion on a hackintosh (or a genuine mac for that matter).

Note that the current version uses a Chameleon with the so called Facetime and iCloud fix which is reported to cause trouble for RAID installs

Clean install

Ingredients

A USB drive (8 GB) or a spare partition. We'll assume you'll use a USB device here

An install partition for OS X Lion. Let's call it Lion

A DSDT.aml (optional)

v1.3: install.tar.gz

Directions

1. Buy and download Mac OS X Lion from the App Store.
  2. In Disk Utility, format the USB as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and give it some name: We'll use USB Boot here but it can be anything. Make sure that "GUID Partition Table" is selected under "Options..."
  3. If you already have a custom DSDT.aml you wish to use, add it to install/Extra/. If you don't, you can generate one with DSDT Auto-Patcher. Note that if you add a custom DSDT, it must be named DSDT.aml. If you don't add a DSDT, one will be created for you when you run finalize (See below). Although the included patcher was made to support GA-P35-DS4 it has also been confirmed to work well with a number of other Gigabyte boards similar to GA-P35-DS4. Please let me know if it works out of the box with your motherboard.
  4. In Terminal:
    sudo install/mkboot /Volumes/USB\ Boot/

This should take ~15 minutes

5. Boot your USB device and install Lion on /Volumes/Lion as you normally would.
  6. Wait for the installation to finish. When your machine reboots in the end, boot onto the USB device again
  7. Open up a terminal via the Utilities menu:
    ./finalize /Volumes/Lion

reboot

8. All done. The USB device can be ejected and OS X can be booted from the hard drive.

Sleep, network, and sound works on GA-P35-DS4. For a substantially different motherboard you'll need to modify mkboot and finalize appropriately.

------

How does it work?

mkboot is a bash script that installs Chameleon, the things needed from the Lion install app, and other tidbits to the target volume.

finalize is a bash script as well. It is copied over to the boot USB by mkboot and installs Chameleon etc. on the target volume.

Both scripts are commented and include references to the description of the various phases.

I'm a Terminal newbie. What to do?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Unix terminal :) Here are some extra instructions:

1. Once you've downloaded install.tar.gz it should reside in the Downloads folder. Safari either unpacked it for you or you can do it yourself by double clicking the file.
  2. Open a terminal. Write cd Downloads and press enter.
  3. Copy and paste the command from step 4 in Directions and press enter.

Troubleshooting

Make sure you are actually booting from the USB device. On Gigabyte, you can press F12 on POST to get a boot menu.

Is your Graphics card mentioned in http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256103 ?

Error reporting

If you have problems please follow these guidelines when posting in this thread:

Report your hardware including motherboard and graphics card. Report whether the graphics card is reported as working in the thread mentioned above.

Report whether you have made any modifications to the install package.

Report exactly when the error happens. On running the script? If so, which one? On booting the USB device? On booting the hard drive?

Screenshots of the error are always helpful.

Following this helps me to pin down the error. It also helps you because you will most likely not get an answer otherwise ;)

• Like 9

in step 2 ... I should extract the Intall.gz on the usb drive or what? And step 4 I Can use the normal install method Or i must use the terminal way?

The install.tar.gz contains the scripts and extra kexts. Just extract it to somewhere.

For example: put your DSDT.aml, OS X.dmg, and install.tar.gz on the Desktop. Doubleclick on install.tar.gz. Open a terminal an write: cd Desktop

I'm not sure what you mean with the terminal way. Step 2 creates a bootable USB that works the same way a bootable CD or DVD does. Just boot it and install Lion.

I've changed the description slightly to make it a bit clearer (hopefully)

U mean I Put them on the desktop and write cd desktop then sudo install/mkboot OS\ X\ Lion\ DP\ 4.dmg DSDT.aml /Volumes/USB\ Boot/ ?

Yes. Try it.

Good Job. Great Job!!

Take it a step further and re-image the ESD with the generated BaseSystem from USB and it will FIT on DVD.

Take it even a step further

IF you include the /S/L/E from BaseSystem in ESD then you can also make BOOTABLE DVD!!

Now to try THAT out.

Thank you. :) I'm kind of on the fence about bootable DVDs in this day and age. My retail Snow Leopard DVD actually stopped working after a while. I might have accidentally scratched it. Luckily I'd made an image of it on a backup hard drive.

8 GB USB pen drives are dirt cheap these days. Why not just buy one, put on Lion, and keep it somewhere for reinstallation? IMHO that is a much safer way to do it.

The bootloader doesn't work for me,

Chameleon RC5- r1002 in my GA=P55-UD3L

BIOS just stuck there.

Could you be a bit more specific? It doesn't even boot into Chameleon on the USB? What happens if you install install/Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1002.pkg on it directly and just try to boot it? Does r1000 behave any differently?

When I type this into terminal:

sudo install/mkboot OS\ X\ Lion\ DP\ 4.dmg DSDT.aml /Volumes/USB\ Boot/

It says install/mkboot not found. Did I do something wrong?

You should invoke the command from the directory where you unpacked install.tar.gz

Try cd Downloads before you sudo and make sure you've unpacked it before you do (Safari either does this automatically or you can double click the file).

Alright, now it is telling me it can't find the Lion DP4 dmg. I have that mounted, and I also have it in the downloads folder. Should I move it else where?

EDIT: I figured it out. I just put all the files on the desktop and went from there.

Alright, now it is telling me it can't find the Lion DP4 dmg. I have that mounted, and I also have it in the downloads folder. Should I move it else where?

Unmount it. You can drag and drop it from the Finder to the Terminal to get the correct path.

EDIT: I've added a section to the bottom of the guide for absolute beginners.

Alright, I tried to reboot and I can't get past the post screen as long as the USB is plugged in. If I unplug the USB my Hack boots normally. Any suggestions?

See post #9. Erase the USB partition before you install Chameleon.

See post #9. Erase the USB partition before you install Chameleon.

I booted and installed! I used this chameleon RC1000 on the USB and that allowed it boot. I rebooted and everything seems to be working fine. Just setup my account, and I have full resolution on my GTX 460. My card is recognized right after installation. This is fantastic! I wonder if I can play steam games again. Going to go try that out. You rock!

Could you be a bit more specific? It doesn't even boot into Chameleon on the USB? What happens if you install install/Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1002.pkg on it directly and just try to boot it? Does r1000 behave any differently?

It does not boot into USB. My PC just hang in the bios when I use this R1002 from your .zip but it is fine if i use r1002 from kexts.com.

I have no problem with r1002 download from kexts.com

but I got KP in PCI Configuration Begin.

I am going to try r1003 now.

sorry in advance for totally noob question but how do i get a DSDT.aml for my motherboard its a p8p67 i allready have installed snow leopard using the andy guide and thats working fine. Thanks

Been doing some research, am i correct in using dsdt edit to make my own dsdt.aml file. i already have snow leopard running on my pc, is just a case of generating my own file from dsdt edit and using that. Any help welcome

I am stuck in here

Attaching OS X Lion...

hdiutil: attach failed - Resource busy

Help?

Unmount your lion volume which the dmg mounted

On a side note, I got an IVP error when playing Half Life 2 and the game crashed.

It does not boot into USB. My PC just hang in the bios when I use this R1002 from your .zip but it is fine if i use r1002 from kexts.com.

I have no problem with r1002 download from kexts.com

but I got KP in PCI Configuration Begin.

I am going to try r1003 now.

I used r1002 from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227833

I couldn't find r1002 on kext.com?

r1002 might be bonked, so I'm thinking about reverting to r1000 for now. I'll update this thread when it's ready.

Unmount your lion volume which the dmg mounted

On a side note, I got an IVP error when playing Half Life 2 and the game crashed.

Great to see it working ;) Bear in mind that Lion is still in beta. Also note that the kernel runs in 64 bit mode. I had some issues with sleep while running 32 bit kernel mode.

I used the one that I made for my 10.6.7 Snow Leopard.

Ok thanks, I'm currently installing the usb Lion

Lion and finished copying to USB memory I will try to install it on my Gibagyte then I tell you ;)

Sorry for my english, use google traslator....

The bootloader doesn't work for me

Chameleon 2.0 RC5- r1002 in my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 bios F14

BIOS just stuck there. ;)

I'm going to upgrade Chameleon to r1003. If it works I'll upload it later today.