Do not try and install on Asus P5KPL-VM will not work!

thejollyboys

17 posts in this topic

Guy's,

My setup is :

Asus P5KPL-VM

Intel Q6600 quad.

4 gig ram.

IDE DVD rom as slave on IDE bus

IDE hard drive blank master on the same bus.

I have tried all switches and downloaded all sorts of different installs iatkosv1.0i/1.0ir2 Kalyway 10.5.2 Kalyway 10.5.1 intel sse2.

The three erros i get are :

Waiting for boot volume uuid <list of numbers>

and

com.appe.driver.ACPI_SMC_platformPugin has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpl compnents; use only one style

and

acpi_smc_CtrlLoop;;initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOSETUPSTATETABLE) returned 0x63606c0

I have posted there errors on most forums buy nobody knows how to fix them.

If any one can help or knows of somebody who will help please let me know.

Thanks

Andy

I have the exact same errors, only I'm using an Asus P5B-MX board with the 946GC chipset and ICH7 controller. I think our problem is the built-in videocard. I'm waiting for my Radeon 3650 to come in. Untill then, I'm stuck using Linux.

The IDE ports on Asus P5* motherboards are provided by JMicron controller which is not supported by the install. You may have to install it on another machine, install JmicronATA.kext and move the harddisk to this machine.

Jmicron Ports should not be used for Install (IDE or SATA). In the BIOS the SATA mode should be set to AHCI for both ICH8 and JMicron

Connect SATA DVD to SATA1 port of ICH8 and the SATA Harddisk to SATA2 port. It should work without issues.

The Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD may recognise IDE Harddisk connected on the Jmicron IDE port, I am not sure

After install, JMicronATA.kext should have been installed which will enable the IDE ports on the JMicron to be seen by OSX.

Ajal,

Thanks for your help and patience mate but there are no settings for the Jmicrom controller and no settings for AHCI, or I can't find it anywhere.

In the devcie manager on the PC in windows the sata controller is lited as an intel one and no mention of jmicron controller?

Tried to connect the DVD and Hard as suggested but no joy.

Formatted the blank disk to fat32 i think that's correct?

Thanks again.

Andy.

Sorry about that, had a good read of the manual of Asus P5KPL-VM. I was expecting ICH8/8R+Jmicron. Instead it has ICH7

So no jmicron on your board.

What you can try is in your BIOS, in the Main menu, you should see "IDE Configuration"

If you select that you should see ATA/IDE Configuration, set this to "Enhanced" and under that set "Enhanced Mode Support On" to "SATA". I think this will put the SATA into AHCI Mode. You can try with this setting

Also in Advanced Menu under USB configuration, make sure BIOS EHCI Hand-Off is "enabled"

Ajal,Thanks again, tried that setting but still the same.I think my problem is more fundamental. I tried another motherboard an AMD one and I get the exact same error on all the install disks.Have I missed a step in preparing the HD or the DVD?I downloaded the iso's and burnt with imgburn at x4 speed. They boot fine but stop at the error above.Also the HD was prepared using departed boot disk formatted to fat32.Thanks.Ajal,Thanks again, tried that setting but still the same.I think my problem is more fundamental. I tried another motherboard an AMD one and I get the exact same error on all the install disks.Have I missed a step in preparing the HD or the DVD?I downloaded the iso's and burnt with imgburn at x4 speed. They boot fine but stop at the error above.Also the HD was prepared using departed boot disk formatted to fat32.Thanks.

Just had this from Asus.

Your board uses an Intel ICH7 storage controller and does not support AHCI.

"ICH9, ICH8, ICH7 and ICH6-based chipsets, as well as ICH5 and ICH5R-based chipsets, do not use AHCI"

• 2 months later...

Hey, I just stubled back upon this site by accident, i havent been hackintoshing much anymore. I have got it to work however, it works fine if you put any kind of video card in. It looks a bit like the on board video card creates a new PCI bus and the OS doesnt look for others, the installer DOES support the jmicron as an ich7 device and works fine in full ata and sata.

That said, i hate this motherboard, i vowed years ago to never buy {censored} from asus again and as soon as i gave it another try, its a pos like this. But it can be done

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to get things working with a p5kpl-vm and it's definitely possible. It got most way through the install with kalyway 10.5.1, only locking up at what I presme was the stage last stage, where the bootloader was meant to be added.

It refused to boot so I put another dvd I had in (ideneb 10.5.5), thinking I'd try that. That didn't want to play at first, so I started the cd boot thing with "mach_kernel rd=disk0s1 -v" and it magically booted into the previously installed 10.5.1.

?!?!

Everything seemed to run ok at that point, except obviously having to start it from a cd which was loading god-knows-what bits of the os. So it definitely is possible!

I'll update when i've actaully got it starting up propperly and I know what the hell\s going on ;-)

I was using an Nvidia 7300GS card instead of the built in one btw.

• 1 year later...