"Hardware" info missing?

Jahbz

37 posts in this topic

The problem is efi , the System Profiler uses efi modules to detect and show up you hardware

if that's the case, then we need to find the bios modules it used in 10.4.3 and copy them over. We've already found that the System Profiler in 10.4.5 is exactly the same as the profiler in 10.4.3, so it has to be some files somewhere else.

If it relies totally on EFI to detect hardware, why does it properly detect my Pentium 4 when viewing "About this Mac?" It's able to display the ram and processor correctly, but messes up when you launch System Profiler and it tries to correlate the profile to a specific machine model. If you could get rid of the section where it tries to name the machine model, I'm sure that the rest of the overview would display correctly.

The idea of it relying on EFI has one large fault: If it relied on EFI, it technically shouldn't be able to list anything at all, including your graphics card data. But yet, it does! This problem only pertains to the section of the profiler that gives an overview of your system type. I detects each part fine, but when it tries to add it all up and come up with an overview, it messes up. My explanation on page 1 of this thread is the only thing I've seen so far that makes complete sense.

However, part of me feels the serial info should be something totally dependent on EFI. But then why and how does it generate a serial when it runs through Rosetta? And each person (who probably all installed from the same leaked dvd) has a unique serial! Ugh.. so weird. If we could ever trace the source of the serial generation, that'd be awesome.

I also have this same issue. Dosen't hinder system operation in any way just a slight nuisance , thats all. On the plus side of things , it reports that I have a 4GHZ AMD Athlon 64 , not really useful in anyway , but damn does it look badass in the system profiler. ;)

I also have this same issue. Dosen't hinder system operation in any way just a slight nuisance , thats all. On the plus side of things , it reports that I have a 4GHZ AMD Athlon 64 , not really useful in anyway , but damn does it look badass in the system profiler. ;)

i found that in "about this mac" system shows the maximum possible processor speed (according to it core). try launch EVEREST in windows - it will show that your processor has 4 Ghz maximum speed - so this is the info, showed in "about this mac".

i think the actual profiles are stored in :

System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPPlatformReporter.spreporter/

contents/resources/SPMachineTypes.plist

if you look in there, there is a long list... PowerMacs, PowerBooks, iMac G5s, ADP2,1 , MacBookPro etc etc

I don't have 10_4_4 installed anymore, so could someone who has still got it check that file (that whole folder) and see if there are any differences? Maybe something got left out in 10_4_5, which is why profiles go to pot.

However, part of me feels the serial info should be something totally dependent on EFI. But then why and how does it generate a serial when it runs through Rosetta? And each person (who probably all installed from the same leaked dvd) has a unique serial! Ugh.. so weird. If we could ever trace the source of the serial generation, that'd be awesome.

The serial number is strange... you get a string of numbers. In vmware I get a serial number = vmware something. Running natively my serial number = System Sber

I fiddled around in those files and was able to change the Machine Name from Mac to PowerMac, but it still only works in Rosetta. The Localized.strings file mentions something about using Open Firmware to return the "compatible" hardware name. I have one more idea, there is a unix binary app in there called SPPlatformReporter that was modified when I upgraded to 10.4.5... i'll check and see if swapping it out with the 10.4.3 version works.

its wierd, this. I just checked my system log in Onyx, and it reports:

PAE enabled

CPU identification: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz

CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

HTT: 0 core per package; 1 logical cpu per package

CPU extended features:

Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

[RTCLOCK] frequency 2670000000 (2673765640)

ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]

AppleACPICPU: ProcessorApicId=1 LocalApicId=0 Enabled

which is exactly what should be showing up in System Profiler. Wierd that OSX gets it, but the profiler.app doesn't.