Newbie and easy question

Coca-Cola

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I could not find a topic to fulfill my question, so I had to made one.

It's also quite easy to answer btw.

I'm totally new to the OS X implementation on a PC-based machine, and I am proudly trying it out this weekend, but reading the installation tutorials, generated some questions:

1) I know that Mac-machines uses a specific storage language, different than NTSC and FAT, right? But does it mean that an hackintosh wont be able to play/use files stored under windows storage format? How does it work?

2) This question answered, what is the size of the hack partition that you recommend and why?

3) Will my present windows files be read by the hack OS, like movies, mp3s, pictures and everything else that can be read under the OSX86? (of course, no .exe files)

4) Is there any tricks and tips you guys recommend aside the ones on the tutorials? (like choosing to install or not to install some optional features (if there´s any))

5) Do you think Ill be able to install under these configs?

PC1

- Abit IP35

- Intel Core2Duo E6550

- 2x1gb Geil DDR2 800 - extreme timings 4-4-4-15 - 2.1v

- 500gb Samsung 16mb buffer Sata II - 7200 rpm

- 320gb Maxtor 8mg buffer Sata II - 7200 rpm

- Geforce 8800GT - 512mb - PNY Performance Edition

PC2

- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

- AMD Socket 939 Athlon64 2,4ghz

- 2x 1gb Kingston Extreme (blue stick) DDR1

- Geforce 7600GT - XFX

- 2x Ata 200gb and 300gb - 8mb buffer - 7200rpm - Samsung and Seagate

Thanks in advance!

1) I know that Mac-machines uses a specific storage language, different than NTSC and FAT, right? But does it mean that an hackintosh wont be able to play/use files stored under windows storage format? How does it work?
OSX can read both FAT and NTFS (NTSC is a video format, BTW) but can only write to FAT natively.

2) This question answered, what is the size of the hack partition that you recommend and why?
Around 6-8GB for system files and virtual memory plus whatever you need for apps. Assuming you'll be installing a lot of stuff to try out, I'd say at least 30GB. Logic Pro alone is several GBs.

3) Will my present windows files be read by the hack OS, like movies, mp3s, pictures and everything else that can be read under the OSX86? (of course, no .exe files)
Yes, OSX can read anything. Really!

4) Is there any tricks and tips you guys recommend aside the ones on the tutorials? (like choosing to install or not to install some optional features (if there´s any))
That will depend on the hardware you're using and your personal preferences. I recommend installing a minimum of options at the beginning in order to avoid hardware/software problems. You can always add those later or reinstall (which you'll probably will be doing anyway).

PC1

- Abit IP35

- Intel Core2Duo E6550

PC2

- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

- Geforce 7600GT - XFX

Sounds good. Please let us know how it went!

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome! ;)

Cheers,

hecker

Hi guys,

I could not find a topic to fulfill my question, so I had to made one.

It's also quite easy to answer btw.

I'm totally new to the OS X implementation on a PC-based machine, and I am proudly trying it out this weekend, but reading the installation tutorials, generated some questions:

PC1

- Abit IP35

- Intel Core2Duo E6550

PC2

- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

- Geforce 7600GT - XFX

Thanks in advance!

See my guide

First of all, thank you for the warm welcome! It's great to find yourself amoung such helpful pplz!!

Another question:

If OSx86 can read ntfs and fat32 but can only write in fat32, how can I, for example edit a picture saved on a NTFS partition?? Will I need to save it into a fat32 partition?? Blows my mind!

First of all, thank you for the warm welcome! It's great to find yourself amoung such helpful pplz!!

Another question:

If OSx86 can read ntfs and fat32 but can only write in fat32, how can I, for example edit a picture saved on a NTFS partition?? Will I need to save it into a fat32 partition?? Blows my mind!

There are UNIX utilities that enable NTFS read/write access. Otherwise, in OS X out of the box you can only read NTFS volumes, you can't write to them.

3 Options

1. Have a 20GB FAT32 Partition for sharing files between OSX and Windows

2. Use Mac-Fuse + NTFS3G on OSX or Paragon NTFS on OSX which will give you write permission on NTFS

3. Store all files in HFS+ and use MACDrive on Windows to read write HFS+