My Computer is Running SLOW

12 posts in this topic

I have a 1st Generation Macbook Pro, which I've upgraded the memory and hard drive of recently- about 2 months ago. I have 72 GB free on my hard drive, and 2 GB of RAM. Yet, for some reason, my laptop just started running ungodly slow. I emptied my trash can and after that took a day to do, it started running normally for maybe 5 minutes, then stopped. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on?

Do you restart your machine to clear the RAM or do you leave it up 24/7. I leave my Powerbook G4 up all the time and my brother says its bad for the CPU and RAM as some apps leave stuff in the RAM. So when my machine has been on for several days i use a program called 'iFreeMem' this allows the RAM to be reshuffled and frees some of it up and makes the computer faster.

Let me know if your still having problems.

D.

Yeah, I leave mine on all the time. Whenever it used to slow down like this I would just restart, but now the restart process takes about half an hour. And wouldn't I have seena gradual slow-down, not just sudden low speed snail chase?

Is there a version if that that's free for Leapord?

Also- my laptop takes about half an hour to start up, and is very hot, if that helps anyone distinguish the problem.

For iDefrag, check the torrent sites.

As for the heat issue, that's very odd. Check Activity Monitor after a reboot and see what's going on, processor-wise. It's definitely doing something unnecessary...

Hard disk problem, maybe? Does it make any clicking noises, particularly when a disk operation is taking a long time?

Nope, none of that. Though I wouldn't throw out the idea of a hard drive issue.

And, occasionally, it'll start acting normally for a minute, but then as I'm all excited about it working, I use it and it goes back to hell.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the disk utility of the Leopard startup disk and have this message:

"this drive has reported a fatal hardware error to disk utility.

If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with a working drive"