10.4.3 LiveCD ALMOST Complete

REVENGE

71 posts in this topic

I just finished getting a copy of 10.4.6, but I havent installed yet and I don't even know if the HOTiSO one will work for my comp. Other than that, my Vista 5456 install just f***ed up, so I'm back to running XP and basically everything's a mess. Other than that, things are going just great! <_<

my Vista 5456 install just f***ed up, so I'm back to running XP and basically everything's a mess. Other than that, things are going just great!

LOL, you are an optimist... What next? Board burns out?? <_<

Yeah, I saw this the last time I was working on a LiveCD, but I didn't use them. I don't believe these instructions were updated for Tiger, but I think I'll give them a try this time, along with the other stuff I'm going to do. And btw, my 10.4.6 is up and running on VMWare. I'm not going to update to 10.4.7 FYI, since there is no Maxxuss Kernel Patch yet.

I'm not going to update to 10.4.7 FYI, since there is no Maxxuss Kernel Patch yet.
The last patched kernel is 10.4.4 .. so even when you run 10.4.6 you run with a 10.4.4 kernel. In other words: go for the 10.4.7 update - just for the sped up frameworks it's woth it.

Oh damn, not since 10.4.4 eh? Sorry, I've seriously not touched OSX86 since the Maxxuss did the last 10.4.4 patch. As for upgrading to 10.4.7 well, I think that would be trivial and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things as far as I know right now, so I'll upgrade as soon as i can get a live cd running using 10.4.6. Besides, doing this {censored} is really annoying as I'm working through VMWare. Also, ext2fsx, the driver for using ext2 partitions in OSX, is broken. This forces me to "somehow" obtain a copy of MacDrive 6 for free and unlimited use :), which is annoying. Has anyone gotten it to work on their systems?

of course there is interest. have you not read all the posts in this topic?

people have been wanting an os x live cd since the beginning. they even have a question about a live cd in the faq :S

of course there is interest. have you not read all the posts in this topic?

people have been wanting an os x live cd since the beginning. they even have a question about a live cd in the faq :S

Oh i agree that the interest is there.. im talking about it WORKING.

We all WANT this to work. But will it .. i doubt it.

Oh i agree that the interest is there.. im talking about it WORKING.

We all WANT this to work. But will it .. i doubt it.

LOL...*cries... The thing is that it WAS working, but f***ing DrX dissappeared without giving me the info as to HOW he made it work dammit. And sorry for not clarifying, I was talking about making ext2fsx work on 10.4.6.

Alright folks, here comes the first status update:

-The project has now fully resumed development under me. If anyone else wants to contribute, holler here and we'll collaborate.

-I have a fully functional 10.4.6 installation working under VMWare on my AMD AthlonX2 3800+. This means that the system being used for development is AMD ONLY as it is using AMD patches. This means that if a live image is created and SHARED (which is actually unlikely at this point and time), it will only function on AMD systems as I have no Intel system to work with right now.

-The project is now a LiveDVD project, because it is easier for me to work with and assuming that everyone who's here has access to a DVD burner and cheap DVD media, I guess no one will complain.

-As of 2:43 PM, I am currently BUILDING the first test version of a LiveDVD. Once it is completed, it will be tested under VMWare and the results posted, so subscribe to this topic to get the latest news.

Status update 2:

-LiveDVD Candidate 1 built and tested: FAILURE

-Problems encountered:

Packages that don't want to load, for odd reasons

OSX {censored} about not being able to write to volume

Above problems produce lockup, continuous error cycles which look like this:

test01crash022nn.th.jpg

test01crash022nn.jpg

UPDATE: Next Candidate will switch to Mike's or OSX Installer's RC scripts.

Status Update 3:

-Looks like the main problem is that neither the default rc, Mike's rc, or the rc.cdrom scripts are adequate for a LiveDVD. I'm trying now to create my own, but I find that the process is a NIGHTMARE ^_^ .

So now, I need help with creating an rc file that works.

EDIT:

This is how far I got by forcing the use of rc.cdrom and the "Installation" path (Thats done by including CDIS and its parent directory Installation into /System/):

test02crash013yt.th.jpg

is it possible to make the dvd think it's reading from a harddrive then writing to a ramdisk?

Actually, I think the proper rc script needs to mount the filesystem as readonly, create ramdrives for folders such as /Volumes and /Var, and then launch the proper services. In fact, if someone could get BootCD and run it for me, then give me a copy of the /private directory, it'd be great.

Update 4

-This morning, I tried booting a hybrid Clone X / Cloned System image in VMWare. As of right now, I think that Clone X gets a lot of the rc correctly, but there are still a ton of read/write issues not being resolved. I'm going to continue to debug later, but in the end I believe I'll need to use a combination of sections from different rc scripts to create a working system. As for now, here's a video of how far the system boots using this latest approach:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1...&pr=goog-sl