Apple talking to labels about unlimited music: report

sanpedro

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if there's proper protocol on this or not, but I just copy and pasted from yahoo. Just saw this a minute ago and haven't seen anything about it anywhere else. Hope I'm not just rehashing old news.

Being a big music fan I would definitely pay 100 bucks for a lifetime of unlimited iTunes. Just have to be kind to the iPod to make sure it lasts a very long time.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc (AAPL.O) is in talks with major music companies to offer customers free access to its entire iTunes music library in exchange for paying a premium for its iPods and iPhones, the Financial Times said.

Citing people familiar with the talks, the paper said the negotiations hinged on a dispute over the price Apple would be willing to pay for access to the labels' libraries.One industry executive said research showed consumers would pay a premium of up to $100 for unlimited access to music for the lifetime of a device, or a monthly fee of $7-$8 for a subscription model.

Apple was not immediately available for comment.

(Reporting by Yinka Adegoke; Editing by Louise Ireland)

Without having really reflected on it, a subscription model seems like a good idea for the heavy music consumer. I wouldn't hesitate to pay 100 smackers for unlimited access.

It's a bit less interesting though for those who are very selective (off-mainstream, indie and 'hard-to-find music' fans), for people who already have subscriptions elsewhere, the occasional downloader and for those whose ears are sensitive enough to prefer the uncompressed audio of the good old CD.

Anyway, now the musician speaking :censored2:

I would definitely not mind if Apple opened up a bit more to indie and micro labels and give more unknown and local acts an indiscriminate chance to showcase their stuff on iTunes, with or without subscription. I reckon Apple (and other OMDs) haven't realised that the market for underground and yet unknown (to be discovered) music has some huge potential, especially in Europe. It's extremely difficult to get onto iTunes if you're a 'no-name' or 'only' a local act. Making good music is definitely not enough, their criteria are very major label oriented.

I wouldn't mind if they opened a special branch 'iTunes indie' or something like that.

peace out

I'm interested... but:

Only if it's DRM free.

What happens to my music after I no longer own the device?

$100 seems FRIGGIN' cheap. I spent $100 on records this month alone.

Don't forget that Napster do this for the last 2 years and they done their job really well of cause! And all the Napster To Go Users aren't Ipod Users!

And it's nice that Apple sell so much songs over Itunes but the illegal users out there leech much more songs for free. And this fact is well known by Apple and the Major Labels! I think the big guys now know they have to act and forget about CD and give very much for less money!

If they sell the Ipod with full Itunes support they will get richer than ever and people will download less illegal music i say :dance_24: