[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

My Radeon X1950Pro broke, and I got a HD 3850 256mb as a replacement.

I managed to get it working with the instructions from the 1st post - I had to remove previous Natit.kext from single user mode (-s) first and the boot into safe mode (-x) to install the HD 3850 things.

But I also have the noisy fan problem. This is bad for me because I am supposed to make music on the Hackmac side (even bought Logic Studio for that).

How can I see the video card temp. in OSX?

I guess I'll wait for a while if somebody comes up with a solution. But if not, what video card would be the best option for a quiet hackmack operation but still powerful enough on the Windows side for playing modern games? Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB?

P.S. One improvement is that I can now shut down (vanilla kernel) - I couldn't with the X1950Pro, had to use the power switch.

Thanks, BTW.

I'd suggest a fanless video card, but that would mean your case has an excellent airflow. As you already have a HD 3850, change the factory ATI fan for a a quieter one (check Thermalright)

I'd suggest a fanless video card, but that would mean your case has an excellent airflow. As you already have a HD 3850, change the factory ATI fan for a a quieter one (check Thermalright)

That might be a viable option, I had a Zalman cooler on an older card and it was really quiet. I'd loose the warranty on the card though, but as long I'd be happy... I'll investigate and think about this.

My Radeon X1950Pro broke, and I got a HD 3850 256mb as a replacement.

I managed to get it working with the instructions from the 1st post - I had to remove previous Natit.kext from single user mode (-s) first and the boot into safe mode (-x) to install the HD 3850 things.

But I also have the noisy fan problem. This is bad for me because I am supposed to make music on the Hackmac side (even bought Logic Studio for that).

How can I see the video card temp. in OSX?

I guess I'll wait for a while if somebody comes up with a solution. But if not, what video card would be the best option for a quiet hackmack operation but still powerful enough on the Windows side for playing modern games? Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB?

P.S. One improvement is that I can now shut down (vanilla kernel) - I couldn't with the X1950Pro, had to use the power switch.

Thanks, BTW.

I'm working on a BIOS modification right now that will be compatible with the HD3850 256MB cards that have the red fan and are actually Built By ATi (but sold by other companies). The problem with the HD38x0 series is that ATi designed the fan to idle literally at 0RPMs until a threshold temperature of 75*C is hit which is far too hot.

The BIOS I'm working on will use the same control system (Transfer as opposed to hard coded fan speeds) as the BIOS on the cards but with a lower threshold temperature. I'm thinking I'll set a minimum fan speed of 15% and then have it ramp up with it hitting 100% by 75*C.

I'm testing it all out on mine right now to measure noise vs cooling performance. I'm hoping to find a balance that will keep the card idle temps to no more than 45*C and its full load temps to no more than 70*C. Doing this while keeping the card silent is difficult.

Then again I run a BTX system that is literally dead silent so I'm more apt to notice the noise than anyone running an ATX system with fans running.

Thanks for doing all that.

I actually bought a Zalman VF900-Cu cooler this morning and will install it tonight. I will test in Windows side if I can keep it cool on high stress with the fan on a quiet setting. With the original cooler it went to 100% (super noisy) and temp was 80C after 10 minutes of high stress.

Even the idle noise from the fan was too much for me, so went for the Zalman. Let's see how it goes.

The fan will be at the same speed all the time.

Anyway, is there a way to see the temp of the card on a Hackmac?

i trried many times all the time it goes blank.. my ATI 2400HD not working on leopard 10.5.2. i quit .. fedup of reinstalling again and again.. i've already installed more than 10 times just to get my graphic card to work.. still there is no good news for ATI 2400. so i uit going back to windos xp and mandriva..good luck all you guys..

i trried many times all the time it goes blank.. my ATI 2400HD not working on leopard 10.5.2. i quit .. fedup of reinstalling again and again.. i've already installed more than 10 times just to get my graphic card to work.. still there is no good news for ATI 2400. so i uit going back to windos xp and mandriva..good luck all you guys..

I feel you man. My 2600PRO has never worked properly so I just live without graphic acceleration. I got my resolution changed to what I want, the only thing that really bothers me is that the dock moves around slow and the taskbar isn't transparent.

Okay guys, here's your solution for the noise problem:

With the stock cooler of Sapphire HD 3850 256MB:

As I told before, in Windows with ATI-tool "scan for artifacts" temp went to over 80C and the fan to very noisy full speed in 10 minutes.

I bought a Zalman VF900-Cu cooler for 30 euros. Installed in about half an hour, not difficult at all - just have to be careful.

Fan speed at the lowest possible all the time (can adjust with a controller that comes with the cooler, not controlled by software) - practically silent. With this:

The same test doesn't go over 60C. And it-is-silent!

So, I can play Windows games silently and of course this will be as silent and not even get as hot on the Hackmack side.

I am really happy about this, totally worth the 30€ and a bit of work changing the cooler.

P.S. The Zalman is quieter (=silent) than the stock cooler even in Windows desktop mode...

Okay guys, here's your solution for the noise problem:

With the stock cooler of Sapphire HD 3850 256MB:

As I told before, in Windows with ATI-tool "scan for artifacts" temp went to over 80C and the fan to very noisy full speed in 10 minutes.

I bought a Zalman VF900-Cu cooler for 30 euros. Installed in about half an hour, not difficult at all - just have to be careful.

Fan speed at the lowest possible all the time (can adjust with a controller that comes with the cooler, not controlled by software) - practically silent. With this:

The same test doesn't go over 60C. And it-is-silent!

So, I can play Windows games silently and of course this will be as silent and not even get as hot on the Hackmack side.

I am really happy about this, totally worth the 30€ and a bit of work changing the cooler.

P.S. The Zalman is quieter (=silent) than the stock cooler even in Windows desktop mode...

iagree ! Zalman has some very nice coolers :rolleyes:

I agree as well. I've always liked the Zalman coolers.

I should have my BIOS mod finished today for those that don't want to modify their cooling system though.

So far I'm able to keep it around 60*C at full load as well. Now I'm just working on the fine-tuning for noise.

Hi everybody, if anyone can lend a hand with a OpenGL problem in a HD2600 XT.

The profile system appears as XT, but the OpenGL Extensions Viewer tells me that are using a HD2600 Pro, part in the xBench give me just 82 points in OpenGL.

post-169936-1208194607_thumb.png

If anyone knows how to fix this I will be very grateful.

In advance thousand thanks MacOff

Excuse my poor English

The profile system appears as XT, but the OpenGL Extensions Viewer tells me that are using a HD2600 Pro, part in the xBench give me just 82 points in OpenGL.

Excuse my poor English

thats just cosmetics

Hi LastExile, thank you for responding.

I do not think that is something cosmetic, since earlier in the xBench gave me 142 points on OpenGL and after upgrading to 10.5.2 the result is 82 points. Is this something cosmetic?

Again thanks MacOff

Just wanted to post my success

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2400

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94c3

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

DELL 1907FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

My video card is a Radeon HD 2400 XT (DEV_ID 94C1) with the core@650MHz and memory@500MHZ. I could not make it work so I flashed the card firmware to a Radeon HD 2400 PRO (DEV_ID 94C3) slightly underclocked - the core@525MHz and the mem@400MHz - but I don't complain, everything works fine.

I tested the new firmware with some OpenGL demo - i go down from ~15FPS to ~12FPS that's ok, my main issue would be that the fan speed in the new firmware is set at 32% so it's a little noisy. The temperature is really OK since it's slightly underclocked and the fan blows much faster (initially was 13%IDLE, 19% full load, now set at 32%).

So for those with not-working HD2400 (and with different ID's like 94C1) you can try to flash your card's firmware with the PRO one (beware this is dangerous!).

Any ideas how to reduce the fan speed? Or how to make it work with 94C1 ? (Natit will not recognize the card when I have the original firmware).

Just wanted to post my success

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2400

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94c3

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

DELL 1907FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

My video card is a Radeon HD 2400 XT (DEV_ID 94C1) with the core@650MHz and memory@500MHZ. I could not make it work so I flashed the card firmware to a Radeon HD 2400 PRO (DEV_ID 94C3) slightly underclocked - the core@525MHz and the mem@400MHz - but I don't complain, everything works fine.

I tested the new firmware with some OpenGL demo - i go down from ~15FPS to ~12FPS that's ok, my main issue would be that the fan speed in the new firmware is set at 32% so it's a little noisy. The temperature is really OK since it's slightly underclocked and the fan blows much faster (initially was 13%IDLE, 19% full load, now set at 32%).

So for those with not-working HD2400 (and with different ID's like 94C1) you can try to flash your card's firmware with the PRO one (beware this is dangerous!).

Any ideas how to reduce the fan speed? Or how to make it work with 94C1 ? (Natit will not recognize the card when I have the original firmware).

Can you give me the link of firmware as i got ATI radeon HD 2400 cards

Excuse my poor English

I am having the exact same problem and I thing that it caused from the fact that there is a problem with opengl.framework.

When ever I try to play a game or something that uses open gl ver 2.0 or ver 2.1 the program crashes.

Any help please

I have a Sapphire Radeon 2600 Pro, installed the driver.. shows up fine in Profiler,

BUT

Games look like {censored}! I can't get anything higher than 800x600, and there's ZERO anti-aliasing. Anyone else having problems with games? The display itself looks fine, 720p movies seem to play fine (though that could just be the CPU/ram), so I'm wondering does this driver actually enable full capabilities of the card?

Hi

I'm really new in the MAC world

I've just installed Kalyway 10.5.1

after restarting I get the Grey screen with the logo and the loader and then it goes to hundreds little screens of the actrual screen. So in other words I CAN'T USE LEOPARD :huh:

I have an ATI 2600 XT with 512 DDR3

Could you please give me any sujestions of what may be going on and how could I fix it?

Thanks

Pablo

post-155275-1208318351_thumb.jpg

post-155275-1208318390_thumb.jpg

post-155275-1208318400_thumb.jpg

@DimitrisTHi DimitrisT, if you solve the problem or find something about this. Please do know at this post. Greetings MacOff

First off all I would like to pose my system,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H

Proc: Amd 4600+

4 x 1 GB DDR II (667)

250 Gb Western Digital Hdd

Saphire HD2600Pro

Samsung S-ATA DVD -RW

I used the Leopard-10.5.2-AMD-EFI-Rev2, with nattit for the Video Graphics. That's all.

I have connected my computer to my LCD TV, via DVD-HDMI and I have Full HD 1920x1080@60 with CI/QEAND

NOW THE PROBLEM.

Definitely, my problem is with opengl.framework because I did some testings yesterday and I found out that if I copied opengl.framework from 10.5.1 I have strange results even when I try to log in, (it does not login any more). Furthermore I found some drivers (I don't remember where, I downloaded a lot of different files from a lot of places so I lost track), that gave me full resolution, better Gl tests in Xbench (132), but no CI/QE. Damn !@#$!@#$!@@#$%. I am trying again tonight !!!!

Besides that I must say it is the BEST Operating System I've seen.

HiI'm really new in the MAC worldI've just installed Kalyway 10.5.1after restarting I get the Grey screen with the logo and the loader and then it goes to hundreds little screens of the actrual screen. So in other words I CAN'T USE LEOPARD :) I have an ATI 2600 XT with 512 DDR3Could you please give me any sujestions of what may be going on and how could I fix it?ThanksPablo

My friend download nattit from netkas, (google is your best friend) and kexthelper (again google is your best friend), and then try to boot safe mode pressing F8 at boot time and then type "-x". Install nattit with kexthelper, it's much easier than you think, cross your fingers and reboot.It worked for me and I had the same problems.

Hi

I'm really new in the MAC world

I've just installed Kalyway 10.5.1

after restarting I get the Grey screen with the logo and the loader and then it goes to hundreds little screens of the actrual screen. So in other words I CAN'T USE LEOPARD :(

I have an ATI 2600 XT with 512 DDR3

Could you please give me any sujestions of what may be going on and how could I fix it?

Thanks

Pablo

Hi Proq, when load Darwin press F8 and continued type -x, this will boot into safe mode and you can install natit from Netkas.

Greetings MacOff

Hi

Thanks for your comments.

It worked, right now have to figure out how to make the Ethernet card work.

Thanks again

you guys are doign a great job, now is time to learn and start contributing back