Very cheap Hackintosh with Leopard! - Fully working

EddiesGames

19 posts in this topic

Users that confirmed this setup:

Me(EddiesGames)

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13peTeSt_o4

First you must download the iatkos v1ir2 and apply the ir3 patch. :)

Then download the leatest version of gparted here: (it's opensource, and I thought I can post the link :)) - ftp://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/...cd-0.3.4-11.iso

Needed things:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-945G-S3 - With the Intel chip

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20 ghz - Don't worry you can overclock it to 2.86 ghz without modifying the voltage.

HD: 160 GB IDE! - Attention: SATA does NOT WORK at the setup screen for some reason, but it works after the install :)

Video Card(Optional, for better video performance): I decided to go with the 8500 GT 512 mb, but you don't have the money, use the integrated video card.

RAM: 2 GB (use 1gb if you don't have the money)

DVD-ROM drive works, DVD-RW discs work with iatkos

USB MOUSE!! - ATTENTION, PS/2 MOUSES ARE VERY, VERY GLITCHY

PS/2 KEYBOARD

Optional stuff:

External SATA HD case for Time Machine - I have one

What doesn't work:

Input audio - no microphone support :(, but you can live without it...

The intel GMA950 integrated cause some visual glitches when used, but you can live with it :)

How to install:

Burn the Gparted onto a Mini CD as you don't need to use a normal one because Gparted only uses 50 mb!

Boot into the Gparted with the first option.

NOTE:

THE GPARTED LIVE CD WON'T SHOW ANYTHING ON SCREEN IF YOU USE THE GMA950 GRAPHICS CARD. AT LEAST, IT DIDN'T WORKED FOR ME, BUT YOU MAY HAVE LUCK :)

Let's continue!

After you booted and something showed up, you should have a 160 gb free space column in the gparted Window.

Select it, click create(add) and use the following settings:

Format: FAT32

Primary Partition - ATTENTION, VERY IMPORTANT!!!! YOU MUST USE THE PRIMARY PARTITION OPTION OR THE BOOTLOADED WILL NOT WORK!

Give the partition a name as is pretty important and makes things easier for you in the future :)

Click apply and make a HARD reset (if you are a noob and don't know how to exit and reboot normally :P)

Installing OS X:

Insert the Iatkos v1ir3 DVD, and press enter when it shows the countdown.

After it booted click the arrow button, let it load then

Go to disk utility and click on the partition(with the name that you gave to it) and then click erase.

Erase as MAC OS Journaled Extended

After erasing press ALT+Q aka Command + Q to exit disk utility :)

Click agree(next)

Select the drive that you erased.

Next

Click customize, and now comes the hard part for noobs :P

Expand the bootloader thingy

Then expand Darwin EFI bootloader

Click ONLY on the EFI Darwin bootloader after the Stock ACPIAPPLE thingy.

Then click next or OK.

Click install

Click skip when it checks the DVD because it will fail(the disk it's modified) and close the setup and that means another 15 mins lost of your life! :P

Shake the mouse from time to time so you can see the progress exactly. The screen will "FROZE"(well actually will sleep) because NO VIDEO DRIVERS at this moment.

Click restart after it says install succeded.

Eject your DVD.

CROSS YOUR FINGERS WHEN IT TRIES TO BOOT FROM THE HD. IF IT DOESN'T BOOT OR IT GIVES YOU AN COM.APPLE.BOOT.PLIST MISSING THINGY, THEN YOU MUST RESTART THE WHOLE PROCESS.

DON'T WORRY. IT'S A NORMAL THING SOMETIMES. :D

AND THIS MEANS ANOTHER 40 MINS WASTED OF YOUR LIFE...

After the succefull boot, complete the mini setup thingy and then enjoy OS X!

Addtional steps for installing the 8500 GT 512 mb Video Card:

Download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mi2obzt2ont

And open it after the download

Click next next next next next next etc... agree, agree agree agree... etc...

Then click CUSTOMIZE!

Deselect the Vanilla 256 mb checkbox and select the 512 mb one.

Click next... etc....

and FINISH (CLOSE)!!!

REBOOT.

Don't worry if after the reboot it gives you a blue screen(of death).

Leave it alone like 30 secs and HARD reboot!

BUGS with the 8500 GT:

Death at the resolution changing!

1. When you change the resolution it gives you a blue screen(of death) and you can't do nothing. Pray to OSX that it saved your resolution settings (aka didn't asked you to confirm or not). Press the computer POWER(not reset) button, then after it goes to BLACK HELL hard reboot the PC. - This happens on the VGA port, the DVI port was NOT tested.

2. No sleep support. Download Caffeine for OS X and activate it each time you start OS X. This prevents the PC to sleep and it doesn't give you the BLACK HELL(screen of death). Aslo this(caffeine) deactivates the Screen Saver so you may set a hot corner to activate it manually.

3. Laggy animations when the HD usage it's too much. It's a normal thing on this card for some reason :( If they persist after the HD usage it's gone, reboot (normal reboot) your PC!

Hope you enjoyed my guide and you find it usefull :)

This is the easiest way to install a FULLY working Leopard on your cheap PC.

It's a REALLY CHEAP solution and works 100% at full speed!

GUIDE TO UPDATE TO 10.5.2:

Download the Kalyway Combo update on the******bay.*** (damn rules :P, no link or link suggestions posting! haha)

Download the Kernel Package, look for the link on the comments on the Combo update torrent.

Install the Combo update normally. Reboot.

Don't worry after the 2nd reboot. The pc halts like 2-5 mins at the gray apple logo. It's normal.

Then fire up the Kernel installer.

When it asks you what kernel to install select the Vanilla one!!!!.

If you select the other one, your OS X install it's bricked! :(

Reboot(normal reboot) and enjoy a faster OSX, yeah it's faster.

Don't install the GRAPHICS UPDATE because you already have it if you have the 8500 gt video card :P

Don't install the GRAPHICS UPDATE if you use the integrated video card (GMA 950). Your OS X install will turn into a brick!

ENJOY A 100% WORKING OS X INSTALL ON YOUR PC. DAMN YOU "PIRATE"!!!!

Aslo after the 10.5.2 the laggy HD usage thingy will disappear.

Thanks for reading and please tell me if it works for you!

Aslo if you want to support me, make something and make this topic sticky :)

Final Hackintosh Price:

480$ + 100$(nvidia 8500 gt - optional)

The price isn't that exactly, I've used an usual value of the US dollar in my country, since I don't live in US.

Awsome performance! Great card for OS X :( but not for Windows.

EDIT: Of course I have QE/CI

System Profiler:

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL aka Quartz 2D(mod to improve performance, PM me for the tool): Supported

I find the title misleading. I also have no need for a cheap PC... which you never did mention how much this stuff costs.

Edit: Also, why do you use that Caffeine thing? In System Preferences you can disable sleep, and the screen saver *should* be allowed to work as it's a good thing. This system can't even do the screen saver and you call it "fully working"?

Even if you disable sleep in the System Preferences it's still going to sleep for some reason....

And if you don't like the guide don't read it!

For what's it worth I really liked the video and I also use "caffeine", It's a great little app.

Thanks for taking all the time on the guide and the video, good work

EddieGames, hows the performance of the 8500 gt 512 mb on leo? i wanna buy the same card :thumbsdown_anim:

edit: do you have qe/ci?

I love my ATI 3870... had a 8800GT 512 and replaced it with this after 3 weeks of misery. Card runs cool, fast, quiet... so happy

good luck

Eddiesgames, This Guide was alright but iAtkos is an over rated chunk of {censored}. its much more stable to Use Toh Leopard then install EFI and use the guide for the Netkas 10.5.2 update. You still get the Vanilla kext but a much more stable system. I have install Leopard on many machines for friends and family. I also Use the 8500 GT video but it causes problems with STAC 9227 sound, causing it not to work some times. But over all i like the card. I didnt find the guide use full but, I just stumbled across it trying to Find a fix for my 8500 and sound problems. But Thanks Any way for spending the time to write it. Just Dont Use iAtkos.

And If the drive doesnt boot you dont have to start over again right away, Try booting from the disk and going to the terminal under utilitys. Then Type /usr/misc/script.sh YOURVOLNAME yourvolname meaning the name you named you osx volume. and if there is a pace in the put \ inplace of the space. then after that is dont type diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/YOURVOLNAME and let it finnish restart and you should be able to rock and roll, if not sorry but you have to reinstall

• 1 month later...

UPDATES:

Now SATA works with the new iR3 patch for iAtkos B)

Don't use the newest Gparted Live CD in combination with the GeForce 8500 GT. It doesn't work. Use the ISO that I provided.

Wireless Mouse & Keyboard (LuxeMate 3000 Genius Set) works. Recognized as an USB Mouse & Keyboard combo

Surround: Trying getting it to work since I got an new Genius 5005 Speakers system