Did Leopard kill my motherboard?

13 posts in this topic

I had Zephyroth's AMD Leopard image installed on my HP dv5220 notebook for a couple weeks, working great. Unfortunately, the laptop lost power and eventually the battery died before I plugged it back in (stupid I know). I didn't have sleep working, so it didn't kick into hibernation/sleep before it went completely dead. Now it won't boot up, only the fan runs and some of the LEDs come on. Different RAM had the same result.

Any ideas? Obviously letting it run out of power wasn't good. Could it have killed it though?

Notebook specs:

2.0GHz AMD Turion™ 64 ML-37

1024MB 333MHz DDR

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP

120GB 4200RPM Harddrive

Thanks.

well derekreid, it seems like your kernel might be corrupted. now tell me, when u turn on the laptop, do u see anything on screen? what all shows up and where does it stop at? it could be as simple as a file has been corrupted, and in that case u might be able to boot into a mac disk and copy a file from a flash drive over. now im no expert at all, but any of the mods here will surely be able to help you, even some other users that are more knowing of osx86. but hope u get it goin again :D happy hackintoshing

I don't think it's the kernel. There's absolutely nothing on the screen when I press the on button. I'm (or I was) dual booting XP and Leopard, but it doesn't get to the boot select menu. No BIOS screen either. That's why I say I think it's likely hardware, but I'm even more of a rookie with hardware than anything else.

Thanks for the reply.

Check to see if theres a way to clear your CMOS. On some laptops the CMOS battery is easily accessible and if you take out the power adaptor, battery, and cmos battery for like a minute, then it might fix problem. Other laptops have reset holes that you stick a paper clip into. Check around your case a little bit.

oh i see. yea that explains why its not the kernel then lol. but yea, possibly the bios is corrupted, being why nothing is working. but then again, that would cause the hardware to malfunction, and the computer would be overheating and some other stuff would be malfunctioning :S so i don't know what to say about that. i don't think mac could had fried your hardware by just dying on battery, thats not very likely i wouldn't think. i don't kno tho

I took out the battery and CMOS battery for a while, but still no booting. I can hear the optical drive and hard drive spinning right after I hit the power button, but nothing at all on the display.

The power dying while running OS X didn't seem like something that should kill my computer, but I couldn't think of any other explanation. Maybe it was just a coincidence something got fried then, I don't know.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm open to anything as the computer's a paperweight as it is.

well

you could drop it off a building XD naww j/p man. sorry to hear its still not working. that blows man. the only thing i can suggest is to possibly try to use an external display, and look for results. if that doesn't work, then mabey try opening it and looking for any signs of fried anything. mabey that will lead you somewhere man. but yea good luck im off to bed now cuz im tired lol. hope u get it fixed.

well

you could drop it off a building XD naww j/p man. sorry to hear its still not working. that blows man. the only thing i can suggest is to possibly try to use an external display, and look for results. if that doesn't work, then mabey try opening it and looking for any signs of fried anything. mabey that will lead you somewhere man. but yea good luck im off to bed now cuz im tired lol. hope u get it fixed.

That is what I would say, because after you said that you could hear drives/fans spinning, I think that the mainboard is still taking power to them, and most of the broken bits I see on laptops are the screen, or the 650v invertor up there as well.

if you can t see the HP logo on start & enter the bios then your computer might be {censored}ed up.

for me it s pure bad luck there s nothing wrong with installing leopard on a laptop, an os can t kill a pc ...

you can try to take the battery off & push the power button some seconds to reinit the motherboard.

if it s still not working there s something wrong with the pc ...

Tried hooking it up to an external display, and sticking a boot dvd in the optical drive...nothing. I think it's toast, thanks for the suggestions though. I guess I'll see where I can get with HP since it's only a year and a half old. My guess is I'll be buying a new laptop though haha any suggestions for what I should be buying? I'm not too upset about having to get a new one, prices are pretty good for what you get compared to when I got this one new.

Also good to know Leopard didn't do it...didn't think it was likely but I thought I'd ask.