Dell Vostro 1500 Mega Thread

Hexidecimal

474 posts in this topic

Descalzo, are you using the EFI version from iAtkos? If yes, i recommend you to reinstall EFI using the tutorial i provided above.

As far as i know it doesnt accept EFI strings.

What happened when you bootet with the modified Boot.plist?

And thanks for the link, I will take a look.

EDIT: Perfect, the keys are working now! :-)

I tried installing EFI using the installer you linked to, k3nny. It's possible I screwed up the EFI string, but I was hesitant to keep trying stuff. I'm not very confident in my ability to restore backed-up kexts, and didn't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Anyway, when I booted with the modified Boot.plist, I got no graphics acceleration. It went to 1024x768. It didn't even occur to me to try the sound.

I'll have to try the media buttons again. I don't know what I did wrong.

EDIT: I tried each of the 3 kexts on the macgirl thread, but none of them gave me any functionality beyond the NEXT button. No PREV, no PLAY, no STOP. Did you get any of that stuff to work?

You should try booting with -v -s and to install EFI from a thumb drive. I think that should work. The important thing is that the Leopard drive must be unmounted while doing this. Alternatively you could place the EFI files on a thumb drive, attach it, and boot with your iAtkos dvd. Thats how i did it some time ago.

Then just follow the tutorial on osx86scene, its really easy and there is nearly no possibility to break anything.

When you boot with the modified Boot.plist, the EFI string replaces injectors like NVInject.kext. I guess your case was the EFI you installed along with iAtkos couldn't handle the string and you ended up with no QE/CI and a small resolution.

(Always do backups)

I got the third kext to work with my Vostro. All buttons do work (play/stop, previous, next, stop) with Butler.

Its important that you set the correct permissions for the ApplePS2Keyboard.kext after moving it into the Plugin folder of ApplePS2Controller.kext with:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext/

Do not reboot yet, try if the plugin can be executed by:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext/
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext/

You will get a notification window which tells if you succeeded.

Hi,

I have been reading this thread and others on this forum with interest.

I have a Vostro 1400 and have tried to install Leopard onto it using iAktos1.0ir2.

Whenever I boot into Leopard it just hangs at the grey apple screen. If I run it with -v the line it appears to be stuck on is

NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/o].

I have Vista Business on another partition. I created a new volume from within Vista and formatted that as journalled extended and have tried several times to get Leopard to run. It never gets further than the grey apple screen.

Any ideas folks?

Dean

k3nny,

I installed EFI from a thumb drive called bootloader. I booted to iATKOS and installed EFI from the terminal in the installer, after unmounting the OSX drive. I am pretty sure it's installed properly because I tried the Time Machine update and it didn't break anything.

JustDeano,

I don't know why your computer would boot to the gray Apple screen and hang. Is this when you are booting to the installer, or after you have installed and are booting for the first time? It sounds like it's happening after you've installed.

What options do you pick when you are installing? I'm by no means an expert on this, but I've gotten it to work after many, many failures so maybe I can help.

Descalzo,

did you get any "read" and "write" messages when you installed EFI? They should be there...

Ok, I guess you installed it properly then.

Did you install the Graphical Update?

Did you correct the PciRoot paths in the vostro.plist (in case you used my file)?

And what about the media buttons? Do they work now?

Descalzo, Yeah it is hanging after i have installed and the green tick has displayed on the screen.

I used the guide http://msalmank.blogspot.com/2008/03/installing-os-x-leopard-on-my-intel-pc.html to get the dual boot with Vista working and it all goes smoothly until I boot up Leopard for the first time, where it hangs on the grey apple screen.

I installed the bootloader and all sub options, and also the Broadcom 440x driver, but I have tried all sorts of combinations.

Like I say when i boot with -v it gets stuck on 'NTFS driver 2.0 [Flags: R/o].'

It's really frustrating because it's nearly there! Any help/advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Is it necessary to set the Vostro 1500 to AHCI in Bios in order to install Leopard or just recommended? I would rather leave it on ATA for reasons that I won't go into here.

I don't mind living without the supposed AHCI perks but I do mind leaving it on ATA if it prevents me from installing Leopard or limits the install dramatically.

After searching it "seems" that others have installed Leopard on other systems without using AHCI but it is never clear if those cases were just rare exceptions, maybe possible only on non-SATA drives or maybe it crippled Leopard in some way.

Can anyone clarify or point me in the right direction?

JustDeano,

I looked through the guide that you linked to, and here are some possible ideas, things I would try:

Try Hexadecimal's guide and see if that works.

Try using the Gparted CD to do the partitions and to change bootable partitions.

One thing I did that may be different than what you did was I reformatted the whole drive, erasing the diagnostic partition and the recovery partition. If you left all those partitions intact then when you manually edit the boot flags you might have problems, though I still can't imagine why you'd get the NTFS error. Maybe it finishes the NTFS and is hanging on whatever is after it. I wish I knew that one.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

k3nny, I think I may have screwed up the pciroot paths. I'll check again when I feel up to it. I was careful backing up last time, but wasn't careful while restoring backups. ;) Anyway, I'll keep trying.

windowintomac, I have mine on ATA. I went into the BIOS and switched to AHCI, and windows stopped working so I had to switch back. As far as I can tell Kalyway will only work on AHCI, but iATKOS works on ATA.

Hi, I've been following this thread for awhile and have installed using the exact method in the guide. Almost everything works and I love my hackintosh. There are only a few things that are bugging me.

First, when I first installed I had the battery meter, but no reboot/sleep. After some work I got sleep to work but now don't have battery and still no reboot. I don't mind so much about the reboot, but would love to have my battery meter back.

Also, I was wondering if anybody got the card reader working on the Vostro...

Thanks to all to worked on getting this working and the people who spent time writing up their experiences.

dtwwtd,

did you deactive the option "USB Emulation" in your BIOS to be able to get into Sleep mode?

To get battery meter, you first of all should check if the battery meter icon is enabled. Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver (Hardware), Options to revise it.

If its checked, look if you got an AppleACPIPowerSource.kext plugin in AppleACPIPlatform.kext and if the version numbers match your kexts in the Info.plist.

Descalzo,

normally you need to integrate the SATA drivers directly into the Windows installation when pressing F6 while it boots... but you can do it afterwards, too.

If you want to know how, PM me. Basically its just forcing Windows to use the driver you want for the Controller.

dtwwtd, did you deactive the option "USB Emulation" in your BIOS to be able to get into Sleep mode? To get battery meter, you first of all should check if the battery meter icon is enabled. Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver (Hardware), Options to revise it.<br />If its checked, look if you got an AppleACPIPowerSource.kext plugin in AppleACPIPlatform.kext and if the version numbers match your kexts in the Info.plist.

I didn't disable USB Emulation to get sleep to work.

Macgirl's thread had a link to a thread about getting sleep to work, that is what I followed. It worked but now the battery meter has disappeared. Also, there is no option for the battery meter in the System Preferences, OS X seems to think this computer is now a desktop.

Any more ideas for the battery meter?

Has anyone gotten the media card reader to work?

I would also like to get the reader to work.

K3nny, I am not really willing to do anything that could mess up my XP install right now, and everything else is working the way I want. In short, it's good enough for now. I just got an eeepc and am busy playing with it, plus I have some homework due soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to use this post as my worklog. I don't have any specific questions right now. Here's what I've done so far.

I let the iATKOS v1.01 r2 partition my drive and installed per the OP's instructions. I left the install running overnight. When I came back the next morning I had a black screen with a blinking cursor. I booted Gparted and saw that the partition for OS X was already flagged as bootable. So I unflagged and reflagged it. Was able to boot into OS X.

The Welcome animation ran fine. I could push my volume control buttons and get the onscreen display of the control, but no sound. I went ahead and completed the Setup Assistant. Once at the desktop the video wouldn't redraw well at first and the keyboard recognition program didn't work. I came back after a while and the machine appeared to be locked up. Also of note: no Wi-Fi (I think I've got the newer card) and no network. Bluetooth seems to be on.

Using Acronis True Image 11 I restored my XP 32 bit install. It took two steps - one said it was doing the MBR and track 0 and took just an instant. The other restored all 10 Gb of the partition. When I rebooted the Darwin bootloader was there and had a new entry for XP. I can now freely dual boot between the two. (I have no idea how Darwin figured this out).

To be continued...

I just finished setting up OS X on my Vostro 1500. The battery meter took awhile to get working, and I am not entirely sure what eventually did the trick, but it's working. Best of all, the Dell 1390 wireless card I bought off eBay to replace my Intel one came in. It was easier than I though to switch the cards out, and now wireless is working beautifully. One more thing, the keyboard had the Ctrl and Alt keys flipped of what they should be. This is easily rectified in the System Preferences under Keyboard.

One question though, I have OS X installed on the sole partion of my my hard drive. Would Parallels work well on the this Hackintosh or should I dual boot?

Parallels or VMWare should work fine. You could even have the best of both worlds - partition your hard drive and install XP. Parallels or VMWare can run your XP install that is on the second partition, referred to as your Bootcamp Partition. I've done that on a real Mac.

Also, I've run VMWare Fusion on my Dell XPS 410 desktop with Leopard and a regular (non-Bootcamp) install.

As far as I can tell, it has not been updated much, but it's still pretty darn good. If you follow his instructions, you'll do fine. Just notice that you have to have a ONE WORD partition name for OSX, and you have to be careful about the bootloaders. If you have questions, ask away!

Does anyone have any links to detailed instructions on getting Sleep to work on the Vostro 1500?

I've seen lots of references to Sleep threads and instructions but they all seem to cover all kinds of Tiger and Leopard kernels and lots of other information not specifically related Sleep and laptops.

My Vostro 1500 works pretty well except for this - and lack of sleep makes a laptop pretty useless in terms of how "I" use it. I leave it asleep all day and wake it up instantly whenever I need it. It works great that way under XP. I'd love for OS X to behave the same way.

Does anyone have any links to detailed instructions on getting Sleep to work on the Vostro 1500?

I've seen lots of references to Sleep threads and instructions but they all seem to cover all kinds of Tiger and Leopard kernels and lots of other information not specifically related Sleep and laptops.

My Vostro 1500 works pretty well except for this - and lack of sleep makes a laptop pretty useless in terms of how "I" use it. I leave it asleep all day and wake it up instantly whenever I need it. It works great that way under XP. I'd love for OS X to behave the same way.

I don't know man. I remember something about the MacGirl thread telling something about that HERE. But I've never tried it, as that's something I learned to live without. Though I still love it on my real mac.

This is pretty weird. Sleep works with my retail installation. I managed to disabled it though somehow when i experimented with extensions.

@Descalzo: As you got a real Mac, you could try to use vanilla kexts as far as possible and see if sleep works; it should

@Descalzo: As you got a real Mac, you could try to use vanilla kexts as far as possible and see if sleep works; it should

My real Mac is a 10.4 installation. Not sure how compatible the kexts are.

This is pretty weird. Sleep works with my retail installation. I managed to disabled it though somehow when i experimented with extensions.

Did you use this guide for your retail install:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167 ?

I've got a Mac Mini with Leopard installed. Don't know if any of the kexts from that would help with sleep, but I'd be willing to experiment if someone could tell me what to try.