10.5.2 for the AMD impatient

macgirl

108 posts in this topic

if your getting the blue screen with the spinning wheel while doing the 10.5.2 update, boot 10.5.1 with -x and do the update. had the same problem and that did the trick. seems that i alwas have to update with -x. when you installed 10.5.2 you can boot normally again, just do the normal fixes shown in this thread, depending on your system.

The Kalyway 10.5.2 combo install worked perfectly, then i was greeted to a long delay before the desktop loaded. I then used the new kalyway patched kernel (option 2) to replace the kernel, and now i panic on boot. I am currently loading the 10.5.1 DVD to get to the UI to repair permissions. Hopefully that will allow me to boot.

EDIT: Nope, still panic on boot.

Guest Snowski
btw, i just noticed that my system profiler only reports 1 core on my CPU. i am using the same AppleSMBIOS and AppleACPIPlatform as I was using in 10.5.1. Doesn't matter if I boot with -legacy or not. I think this may have happened when I did the 9.2.0 kernel update, although I can't confirm this...could have also happened when I did the 10.5.2 update...anyone else noticing this issue?

EDIT: ...but there are 2 graphs in Activity Monitor...so I guess that means it's just cosmetic...

I corrupted my my Leo install yesterday trying to do the update. It actualy took me a while to start going at it cause I knew there would be a 50% chance I couldnt boot anymore. I know my way around OSX but compared to you guys I'm just another noob.

Anyway, this is what happend and I hope you guys can help me out before doing another bloody install.

- Did the: while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

- Ran the installer and of course got the blue screen you mentioned.

- Rebooted and the PC kept rebooting when trying to get in.

- Went to Tiger and replaced kexts then rebooted

- Then I did the replacer and patcher (it didnt replace installer and some patcher files)

At first it wouldnt go to the grey apple screen at all but now I'm in and I can shut down but it stays on the grey apple screen (spinning logo)

I replaced my geforce and sata kexts too but no result. Error when booting -v is attached. Can't repair permissions from within Tiger.

Thx for the help in advance lads

post-78590-1202979173_thumb.jpg

{censored}, i installed the update using pacifist, moved back important kexts, installed decrypts+cpuids

and now2 the system locks up just before it should start the gui, in random lines

i just remember i forgot to edit the startup script, and maybe that's the problem, what does this script do?

opening the update with pacifist i can't find it anywhere

edited startup script links to dsmos.kext instead of Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext, so yeah, that could be your problem.

haudegen: yes, with 9.1.0 kernel you will alwas have that 2 min delay on boot.

Snowski: did you edit the Startup script?

@Snowski: You've definitely got a kernel panic happening there. You've either got to edit the Startup script as aKy suggested (see the netkas link in macgirl's first post) or try copying over your AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, System.kext, and mach_kernel files. Make sure to repair permissions when you do this. Also, run the CPUID patcher again and again and again until your face turns blue :). Trying these things, you're bound to get it to work. We have the same motherboard, so it's pretty much a guarantee (the only difference being that I don't use SATA drives). Just keep working at it, you'll get it...and make sure to leave some hair on your head for the graphics update :)

Guest Snowski
edited startup script links to dsmos.kext instead of Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext, so yeah, that could be your problem.haudegen: yes, with 9.1.0 kernel you will alwas have that 2 min delay on boot.Snowski: did you edit the Startup script?
Hi bro,I managed to repair via backup by going to the diskutility on my install DVD (time machine). Bu now I have the "Chain Booting Error" problem. I'm using EasyBCD to edit the vista bootloader (osx86 entry) but now it seems I'm missing something from the osx partition bootsectors.Any ideas?
@Snowski: You've definitely got a kernel panic happening there. You've either got to edit the Startup script as aKy suggested (see the netkas link in macgirl's first post) or try copying over your AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext, System.kext, and mach_kernel files. Make sure to repair permissions when you do this. Also, run the CPUID patcher again and again and again until your face turns blue :) . Trying these things, you're bound to get it to work. We have the same motherboard, so it's pretty much a guarantee (the only difference being that I don't use SATA drives). Just keep working at it, you'll get it...and make sure to leave some hair on your head for the graphics update :)
Thehe, hi bud ;)I messed up so far I couldn't even repair permissions anymore. But now it seems I have a backup ready, only have to be able to get into it now :/Thx for the help amigos ;)ok guys, its that time again, I'm gonna do another (maybe my 500th now) reinstall but now going GUID and EFI.Hopfully the guide Roisoft mentioned on page too is the proper way to do it. Except I'm only going to use Leo and Storage on the same drive since I already have XP/Vista on the other one.Wish me luck!I'll post back when I got that done and then I'll try the update again. I'ts fun to do all this when you use osx as a play toy but it's a friggin pain when you use osx as your main DAW :/Anyway, thx again for the help so far and see yall laterAnd what is up with the board mixing all my reply's. I can dig the multiple post issue but I cannot dig the ugly merge method for fixing this.

Guest Snowski

Ok here's an update:

- Booted with DVD and made HD GUID

- Installed Leo and went out

- Came back and noticed pbootlist could not be found (or something) so I rebooted with DVD and wnet into terminal

- Tried installing EFI but not I could not even get into the usb stick dir (will try with HFS+ format)

- Booted Tiger and tried commands, all worked except the last command 'dd if=./guid/boot0....'

- Now I added the osx entry in the vista bootloader (easybcd) but I get a chain booting error everytime I try to boot Leo

- I remember I didnt had to to antyhing with the boot after Zephyroth install but now with GUID that might have changed

I'm out of ideas lads, pfff.

Is there another way for a proper bootloader (XP/Vista 64bit/Leopard)

Thx

Guest Snowski

Exactly m8, thats how I always done it. Vista/XP on one drive and osx on the other. If i install one or the other I disable the proper SATA channel in bios so it wont mess with the bootloaders on all disks (or active partition probs)

But now I cant seem to get this to work.

2 probs:

Command not found when I try "unmount -f /dev/disk0s2"

Recourse Busy when I try "dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

And when trying via vista bootloader or bios i get the "chain booting error" like the darwin bootloader is missing. I remember reading some peeps had probs with this using Zephyroths DVD but since I use the vista bootloader, hmmm

I dont have a clue of what is wrong here. Before the 10.5.2 update all was well lol. Can I start pulling my hair now? thx

UPDATE: nope, nothing, blinking cursor or chain booting error. It's either Zephyroth or my dumb brain. Tried reaplying the EFI or makint the partition bootable with fdisk commands, no go.

So I guess I'll have to try with MBR again. Are you guys using Zephyroths release or?

XP or Vista?

dual boot Leo (AMD) / Vista (GUID + Efi V8 the same HDD)

-You need.

-A pendrive labeled "EFI"

-Install DVD (leoapard Zephyroth)

-Install DVD (Vista 32/64)

- Efi pack ( Extract the efi pack to the root of your pendrive)

1. Boot into Leopard install dvd and open disk utility, click your HD you are makeing a Guid then click the partition tab click the drop down menu and select the number of partitions that you need, in my case i have used two, the first one for VISTA( Fat32), the second one for LEOPARD (Mac Os Extended (journaled)) then click options and select GUID, aply and reboot when it´s finished.

2. Boot into Vista install dvd and when you see the screen of disk selection, click the patición in fat32 and format in NTFS, then install Vista.

3. When vista finishes, boot into leopard DVD and install over the partition that you have created in the step 1. When Leopard finishes, reboot again into leo dvd plug the pendrive labeled "EFI" and open a terminal and type this:

diskutil list

You´ll see something like this

/dev/disk0
#:					   TYPE NAME				  SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
0:	  GUID_partition_scheme							 *226. Gi   disk0
1:						EFI							  200.0 Mi   disk0s1
2:	   Microsoft Basic Data VISTA					   * 35.05 Gi  disk0s2
2:				  Apple_HFS LEO						  186.0 Gi   disk0s3

/dev/disk1
 #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
0:	 Apple_partition_scheme								  *4.4 Gi	 disk1
1:		Apple_partition_map									 31.5 Ki	disk1s1
3:				  Apple_HFS Leopard-AMD-10.5.1	  4.4 Gi	 disk1s3
/dev/disk2
#:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme								 *250.0 Mi   disk2
1:				  Apple_HFS EFI						   249.9 Mi   disk2s1

cd /volumes/efi/pc_efi_v80

umount -f /dev/disk0s3

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s3 ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3 bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

reboot and that´s all, you don´t need touch the Vista bootloader you´ll see Darwin with those options

- 1. hd (0,1)

- 2. hd (0,2) Foreign BOOT (VISTA)

- 3. hd (0,3) LEOPARD

quick question about EFI, I plan to partition my HD into 2. One for OS X as a Test partition and one as my main. When installing EFI, do i need to unmount both partitions, then run these twice, for each partition:

?

@Snowski & Carpet: This is VERY important for installing EFI (Snowski, this will help you with the "Resource busy" error). You MUST unmount all drives, and the only way I could do that was to do this:

diskutil unmountdisk disk0

INSTEAD OF THIS:

umount -f /dev/disk0s3 (or whatever number you use after the 's')

I don't know why it doesn't have this command in the original guide to install EFI, but I've seen so many confused people on these forums because of that one line.

Also, Snowski, I noticed in your post that you actually typed "unmount -f /dev/disk0s2" but it's not "unmount" it's "umount" (no "N" there :D) Anyway, it doesn't matter since you wont be using that command anymore anyway.

So, to recap:

(replace the "s3" part below with the disk number you use...)

cd /volumes/efi/pc_efi_v80

diskutil unmountdisk disk0

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

And that should work for you, assuming everything is done right.

blinking cursor ;p when i boot with the DVD com.apple.boot.plist not found. Im gonna try and boot with gparted, perhaps i didn't set my partition as active

EDIT: apparently i shouldn't mess with it with GParted. Oopsie. I'll try again.

@roisoft & macgirl: here's the Colonel's System Profiler Patcher, supposedly it fixes the "There was an error while gathering this information" problem. A quick look in Pacifist showed a bunch of files I've never heard of before, and it's from 10.4.8 apparently, so I'm not sure if it will work. I'm not on my hackintosh right now, so maybe one of you can test this out?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=8259

EDIT: I've found another one, not made by Colonel. It's from 10.4.10/10.4.11:

http://rapidshare.com/files/40977919/Profi...ch_0_1.zip.html

Sorry this is so hectic. I am digging these links up from very old posts in an effort to make them easier to find now. I will edit again if someone tries one of these out or if I find something better.