10.5.2 for the AMD impatient

macgirl

108 posts in this topic

Ok, so Im following these directions, substituting with disk1s2 as thats where OS X will be.

cd /volumes/efi/pc_efi_v80

diskutil unmountdisk disk1

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1s2 ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

Everything goes fine until i hit that last command, which i changed disk0 to disk1 as thats my GUID HD. I get a resource is busy error. For reference, I have another HD with Windows XP on it (disk0). Do i need to unmount disk0 as well? I have refrained form doing anything with disk0 as i don't want to mess with it, nor do i need to.

This is what my PC looks like:

/dev/disk0
									#:					   TYPE NAME				  SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
									0:	  FDisk_partition_scheme							 *19.1 Gi   disk0
									1:			   Windows_NTFS Windows						 19.1 Gi   disk0s1

/dev/disk2
									#:					   TYPE NAME				  SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
									0:	  GUID_partition_scheme							 *233.8 Gi   disk1
									1:							EFI							  200.0 Mi   disk1s1
									2:				  Apple_HFS MacHD					   * 208.8 Gi  disk1s2
									2:				  Apple_HFS Test						  24.6 Gi   disk1s3

/dev/disk2
									 #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
									0:	 Apple_partition_scheme								  *4.4 Gi	 disk2
									1:		Apple_partition_map									 31.5 Ki	disk2s1
									3:				  Apple_HFS Leopard-AMD-10.5.1	  4.4 Gi	 disk2s3

I have since decided to install OS X after the resource is busy error, and am waiting to see if it will make a diff.

EDIT: blinking cursor and com.apple.boot.plist not found errors still happenin'.

umount -f /dev/rdisk1s2

diskutil unmount disk1 (if you get resource busy close the terminal open diskutility and unmount the disk1 again, open again the terminal and repeat the last step)

umount -f /dev/disk1s2

diskutil unmount disk1 (if you get resource busy close the terminal open diskutility and unmount the disk1 again, open again the terminal and repeat the last step)

Thanks, this worked, now on to installing Leopard, and if successful, 10.5.2 kalway hacked update + kernel.

@agrafuese I´ve used the second link but only the SPMemoryReporter.spreporter installed with pacifist ;)
ok thanks. hopefully i'll be giving this a try tonight. someone's gotta put all this stuff together in a nice little installer package soon because i know i'll eventually forget all these steps if i ever need to install from scratch again. woo!

Guest Snowski

Ok, I 'm in Leo with EFI and GUID.

Question:

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk0 bs=400 count=1

is needed for boot cause I got a B0 error when I was struggling with the Resource busy issue. But it seems only needed to boot other OS's cause now I have this new foreign os item listed in darwin but no need for it. So just ignore this? (I have no probs with it anyway)

Now, on to the 10.5.2 update, hmmmm

After that I will try the GFX and SOUND EFI and then I'll put my other drives back in and fix the boot options.

Thx for the help amigos ;)

Guest Snowski

Pff; second update failure :/

I dont know, or I'm getting more retarded by the minute or you guys are not specifying everything that needs to be done.

What I've done now:

- Managed to get EFI working on GUID partition

- Installed Zeph's Leo

- In Leo I backed up the proper kexts and kernel and via terminal: "sudo -s" and "while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done"

- Ran updater then I got the blue screen again after a while, but now it went to a black screen with invalid page (loginwindow related)

- I had to reboot and then I tried patching and replacing the files but no good. It fails to boot cause of invalid page with loginwindow

- WTF (excuse my language) am I doing wrong here lads, cause I dont even have the time to replace kexts and kernel before reboot. rebooting with "-x" didnt help either, axctualy none of the bootflags helped.

I'm now doing another bloody reinstall and will try the update again. I need to get a proper working method for this since I use OSX for my main DAW so future updates need to go smooth.

Any help would be great lads and thx for the EFI guides.

Update: I'm getting the 10.5.2 AMD update from the Bay cause I don't want to do another install. Hopefully this will work. I went to osx to stop fiddling with OS (reinstall , repair, etc) and now I'm back to just that.

UPDATE! the update from the bay 10.5.2 for AMD works! with 9.2.0 kernel if using EFI (selectable) and proper smbios and dsmos. Will test some more.

Hm, i tried the 10.5.2 update on the bay, and my PC just mach reboots after loading USB stuff. I tried updating with the while sleep command, but immediately after the installer finished, i clicked on a folder and i got a blue screen followed by some errors. I rebooted to now getting mach reboot errors. The quest continues...

EDIT: Success!, Booted into 2nd Partition, installed Kalyway combo update and kernel in main partition, then applied AMD patches. :afro:

Next up: Graphics update!

EDIT: Graphics update a success after editing the GeForce and NVDAResmankext!

The only remaining issue is that my PC runs on 1 core atm, gonna read up to see if anyone has a solution.

btw, i just noticed that my system profiler only reports 1 core on my CPU. i am using the same AppleSMBIOS and AppleACPIPlatform as I was using in 10.5.1. Doesn't matter if I boot with -legacy or not. I think this may have happened when I did the 9.2.0 kernel update, although I can't confirm this...could have also happened when I did the 10.5.2 update...anyone else noticing this issue?

EDIT: ...but there are 2 graphs in Activity Monitor...so I guess that means it's just cosmetic...

Awesome, I installed Menumeters and it shows 2 as well. So i guess my pc is running both cores too. Did those things you install earlier fix the mis-reporting of cores? So far system profiler shows things correctly.

Guest Snowski

Hey Carpet, glad you got it all working bud.

Feel or see any difference with the GFX EFI? I wanted to apply this too until I noticed my card isn't supported.

Both cores seem to work here too so it's only a profile issue.

Feel or see any difference with the GFX EFI? I wanted to apply this too until I noticed my card isn't supported.

Both cores seem to work here too so it's only a profile issue.

Things seem a bit more fluid & smooth. Im currently re-installing software. After work tonight i will run Marvin's AMD patcher, finish software install and then give it a true spin to see how things are handling. This thing was truely a pain in the arse to get going, but the end result makes the effort worthwhile. 8)

Awesome, I installed Menumeters and it shows 2 as well. So i guess my pc is running both cores too.

I just learned that you can also type this in Terminal to check that both cores are running:

sysctl -a

Did those things you install earlier fix the mis-reporting of cores? So far system profiler shows things correctly.

I'm not sure what "things" you're referring to, BUT I did install the netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel with his AppleSMBIOS.kext and now my System Profiler reports both cores correctly, so no more cosmetic ugliness, haha :( Interestingly enough, I didn't have any problems with the System Profiler giving me the errors that macgirl and roisoft reported (see their posts above). So I didn't have to replace any files in the System Profiler app, as roisoft did. No clue why...

Snowski (or anyone else listening), is there a difference in performance if you enter your EFI-GFX string into apple.boot.com.plist versus going the NVinject/kexts route? I thought maybe it was just a name-reporting cosmetic thing. I keep hearing about going the string way, but it would be a new adventure for me, and I'm not sure what the compatibility is like for my card (nor whether or not it makes a difference performance-wise). From Carpet's post, it sounded like he went the kext route, but am I wrong, Carpet?

I just learned that you can also type this in Terminal to check that both cores are running:

sysctl -a

I'm not sure what "things" you're referring to, BUT I did install the netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel with his AppleSMBIOS.kext and now my System Profiler reports both cores correctly, so no more cosmetic ugliness, haha ;) Interestingly enough, I didn't have any problems with the System Profiler giving me the errors that macgirl and roisoft reported (see their posts above). So I didn't have to replace any files in the System Profiler app, as roisoft did. No clue why...

Snowski (or anyone else listening), is there a difference in performance if you enter your EFI-GFX string into apple.boot.com.plist versus going the NVinject/kexts route? I thought maybe it was just a name-reporting cosmetic thing. I keep hearing about going the string way, but it would be a new adventure for me, and I'm not sure what the compatibility is like for my card (nor whether or not it makes a difference performance-wise). From Carpet's post, it sounded like he went the kext route, but am I wrong, Carpet?

I was referring to what macgirl and and roisoft had to install. Sorry, brainfart on that response. Fortunately, i am not experiencing those issues they are either. And yep, I am using NVinject with my dev id edited into the kexts. If there is truly better results by entering my EFI-GFX string into the plist, i'd be willing to try it out, although, I have no idea where to start. Im guessing the search button would be a good start :(

EDIT: editing the EFI-GFX strings looks alot more complicated. I need to learn more before i even bother ;p

All works great now

I use the tuto to get 10.5.2+Grapics update.

I mod Geforce.kext,NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext with my device id (7600GT 0X039110de).

I switch EFI from 5.2 to 8.0 ...

I got a trouble with forcedeth because i also change my cpu with a 939 X2 but a new forcedeth is out for this problem.....

So to resume Thanks to all of you ..............