Asus WL-167G Usb Dongle

minnie

24 posts in this topic

Hi.

Well the topic says it all really.

I have one of these Asus WL-167G Wireless Usb dongles and can't really get it to work properly. Last time I checked, it kept disconnecting and acting badly.

Any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

the damn thing just don't work. I installed every existing driver and it still won't work. Had some success ... conection stable for a few minutes, but on restart .. nothing. I was hoping of using the damn thing as axis point ... gets me sick the level of frustration on macintosh and setting up drivers ... {censored} it ! Windows rules .. it seems

I TAKE THAT BACK .

WL 167-G works perfectly ... but not in mac !!

So i set up on leopard parallels and create a virtual xp ( didn't figure out how to use the installed partition).

Uninstall the usbwirelessutility from mac, plug in the 167g, parallels ask you if you want to use the adapter in windows ... you say HELL YEAH ! and voilla... internet :hysterical: Anyway my goal was to use the thing as a axis point for my laptop ... AND IT WORKS !! (with a little help from windows and this beautifull software called Parallels).

Hope this helps someone.

i have this, it seems the drivers are for tiger though.. couldnt get it to work in leopard w/o modification. What i did was, took an ionetworking from tiger and use it in leopard.. works right away

I will not that i would never do this on my current build.. i have dual ethernet working and i suspect an old ionetworking would screw them, and time machine up

i have this, it seems the drivers are for tiger though.. couldnt get it to work in leopard w/o modification. What i did was, took an ionetworking from tiger and use it in leopard.. works right away

I will not that i would never do this on my current build.. i have dual ethernet working and i suspect an old ionetworking would screw them, and time machine up

tried a older version of ionetworkfamily myself , but that screw up all connections, all of the sudden nothing was connected , what version did you get a working kext from ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

I finally got this working in leopard without parallels. The problems is i installed so many drivers that i don't really know which one did the job. Anyway i reduced it to a cocktail of 4 files, including ionetworkingfamily from 10.4.10. If there are other users who did not manage to get it working through the conventional methods (brave testers), please send me a personal message so as to send you what needs to be installed. The only bug i have not manage to fix at this point is the replug fix.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same exact problem as you Micman. Shows up as en0 and Ralink USBWirelessUtility says "No Device !!!" So I can't pick a network, it automatically connects to whatever network it wants. It does work when it connects though, I just can't pick what network to connect to.

Also, what Ralink driver are we supposed to be using with this thing? what chipset is it?

Dell D620

Kalaway

• 1 month later...

It works absolutely fine here.

To get it working:

1. Download driver from asus website

2. Plug in dongle

3. Install driver for mac os 10.4.x

4. Reboot

5. Log in

6. Open network configuration

6.1 When asked on opening the network configuration, click apply to enable the usb dongle as a network card, it will be added to the list as "Ethernet Adaptor"

6.2 Close the network configuration

7. Setup a wifi profile with the USBWireless tool that started on logon after reboot

8. Activate the profile with the tool

lol

where do u get osx drivers?

FOr get it it working install the RT2500 install package RALINK is important that u install the one from 10.4 (tiger) and not 10.5(leo)

then in stall 10.4.6 Ionetworkingfamily.kext

AND IT WILL WORKS FINE (except the wpa2 encryption ..with my netgear router wont work i m using the WPA and wrks fine ..)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

All I had to do was download/install http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2008_12_04.dmg from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

That's Ralink part number (RT257x/RT2671)

No need to install anything from the ASUS website; nor 10.4.6 Ionetworkingfamily.kext

My logs say I'm now using RT2573 USB wireless driver.

Dell Precision Workstation 490

iPC 10.5.6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
All I had to do was download/install http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2008_12_04.dmg from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

That's Ralink part number (RT257x/RT2671)

No need to install anything from the ASUS website; nor 10.4.6 Ionetworkingfamily.kext

My logs say I'm now using RT2573 USB wireless driver.

Dell Precision Workstation 490

iPC 10.5.6

i download the file from the website

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

they changed the link , i downloaded the 1st file , am i correct?

after mounting i fout the 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6 drivers so i go with the 10.5 as i have leopard , after installing and restarting my usb appears as connected in the utility but by browsers can't detect the connections, what should i do

thanks in advance

i am on ideneb 1.4 10.5.6

• 5 weeks later...