Best video card?

22 posts in this topic

Id go from the 7300 GT to the 8800 GTX only some of the 8800 GTX like the G92 series and some of the cards need to be flash all the 512mb series not the 8 seires though and for the 8 series you need the 10.5.2 vid kext

-amantheboy

www.teknojunkie.com

I have a couple of hacks, I use a 8800 GTX (that I flashed to a Quadro FX 5600 for the fun of it - but not necessary) in one - This card works 100% with even mirrored/Detect displays working. I am about half way through Quake 4 with everything maxed out and it has never put a foot wrong. In the other I have a 8800 GT 512. This also seems to work well using the latest drivers, but will hopefully improve more when 10.5.2 is here. I can thoroughly recommend both cards.

Is it possible to use an 8-series gpu with a dual boot system?

Id love to use a 8800gtx in mine, and use both leopard and xp.

Surely if you flash the rom on the card to work under leopard it wont work under xp, i really hope there is a way around this.

Can anybody help?

There's no need to flash an 8800GTX to be OSX compatible, so you can dual boot no problem. aqua-mac merely flashed his 8800GTX to a Quadro FX 5600, as he says `for the fun of it' - you don't need to do this. All you need is the appropriate driver under OSX. Little bit 'o good ol' searching will get you the driver in no time :) A page of interest could be: gotoh's nvinject site.

All the best,

3phemeral

Thats brilliant to know, thanks for the information man.

Just wondering,i know that SLI wont work with osx, but is it possible to run multi graphics cards similar to the way the mac pro does it, where you can have upto 4 gpus for upto eight screens?

I know that il need four pci-e 16x slots for this but the top secret motherboard i have under my desk can handle this, if your wondering its made by intel and is only 2 days old ; )

sure, you can have multiple video cards... id guess u would just have to be carefull not to overright kexts if they are 2 different cards.. same cards would be fine i assume

I have hte 8800gts 640mb (g80) it works well.. can run any mac games full graphics.. smooth nice features.. although my open gl is way slower than it should be.. it isnt 100 percent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was hoping someone could point me in the ATI direction? I hate the amount of issues Nvidia has in Vista and wanted to go the ATI route. Ive read support on alot of cards, but very seldomly do people mention if their cards drivers have DVI working.

Does anyone know of a 50 - 100 dollar ATI card that runs as close to native as possbile for OSX86 and Vista with both DVI working?

Thanks for any responses :rolleyes:

for dvi and dual extended monitors: a 7x00 or 8x00 nvidia card with dual dvi

dont get a card with vga/dvi combo cause you are just gonna cause yourself a ton of problems in trying to get it to work correctly

-D-

As the R770 drivers are already included in 10.5.2, I guess that anyone looking for the best GPU for OSX should wait one month for the Radeon 4870 to be released.

The 8800 GTS 1Gb from Gainward is an excellent card too, but I'm not sure the 1Gb of video memory will be fully recognized.

Anyone has tryed it ? Or heard about that specific (1Gb) card running in OSX ?

If you ever want to try/use Linux, an ATI card will be a guaranteed pain in your back.

Thus Nvidia all the way.

Im doing a triple boot (hardy, vista, leopard) with a ati x1650 pro and havent had any issues other than OSX not letting me use my dvi connections, ive been a long time ati guy and my roommate has had too many issues with nvidia for me to think about it. To each its own :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Im looking for a Video card with a silent fan or a really quiet one this 7900 GT has the loudest fan in the world looking for a

8800 GT with a quiet fan, basically and 8800 GT, GS, GTX or 9800 GTX. Just give the model.