[HOWTO] Dual-Boot Kalyway 10.5.1 & Windows XP

31 posts in this topic

Here is what I did:

1. Install Kalyway Leopard disk - partitioning the drive into 2 partitions using the Disk Utility inside Leopard installer. Then install Leopard normally. You can have more partitions if needed but I only tested with 2.
  2. Install Windows XP onto the second partition.
  3. Windows XP setup will say that it will mark the partition active. Just accept it and continue. After its done, you will now only be able to boot into Windows as Windows took over (surprise surprise).
  4. Boot the Kalyway disk again.. use -s for single user mode if you want. I used it.
  5. Open Terminal
  6. Type "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" ... replace rdisk0 to your correct drive.
  7. Type the following in the fdisk prompt. Replace <#> with the partition number of the Leopard install. By typing p in the fdisk prompt, it'll tell you what number it is. e.g. 1
    • p
    • flag <#>
    • write
    • exit

[*]Type reboot at the prompt

[*]Done. Now Darwin bootloader can load either OS.

Example:

My setup: Single hard disk, 2 partitions: first being Leopard, second (small) being Windows. So my settings are /dev/rdisk0 and flag 1 in fdisk.

How to figure out your rdisk#:

• Don't boot into single user mode with -s boot option.
  • Open Terminal
  • Type "mount"
  • It'll show your /Volume/Leopard (or whatever you named your leopard partition) mounted on /dev/disk#s##
  • Your rdisk# is the disk#

Running 10.5.1 99% (audio output is through MIC IN) on C2D 4500 & ECS 945GCT-M/1333!

Awesome guide, lonerdj... respect! I had read many posts filled with complex instructions and this is by far the easiest method I have seen.

Just a question. How did you set it ? GUID, EFI MBR... ? The more I read the more I get confused. I have installed lots of Windows, some Macs, but the mix is really hard. But your system seems to work so it would be nice to know that part of the process. Thanks!

I will rush into it anyway but ... :wacko:

On my ECS system, its MBR EFI. On the Install, in the Customize screen I selected:

- Vanilla kernel

- Vanilla kernel, ACPI

- boot efi MBR

Thats after I partitioned the drive within the same Installer with Disk Utility. When I partition, I have it set as MBR. I haven't tried GUID with my board.

Thats it. Good luck.

What I did (the non-Terminal way):

• Load OSX (Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD) setup.
  • Open Disk utility, Create new partition table (select disk at top of the list, not a partition), at least 2 partitions ofcourse (choose Master Boot Record [MBR]) under options, one extended journaled and one FAT32)
  • Select the mac osx journaled formatted partition to install OSX to.
  • Customize: check MBR bootloader, and drivers to suit your system (I didn't install vanilla but thats up to you).
  • Intall.
  • After install is complete setup will reboot your computer into your fresh osx.
  • Continue entering the requested information (make sure you have either [ps/2 keyboard AND ps/2 mouse] OR [USB keyboard AND USB mouse] don't mix the two or your keyboard might not work).
  • When finished, reboot into win xp install cd.
  • Install XP to the FAT32 partition, setup will format the partition to ntfs.
  • Windows will say it'll set the partition active, that's ok, continue install.
  • Afterwards boot up into XP.
  • Download Acronis disk director or something similar.
  • Use acronis disk director to set your OSX partition active.

And voila! now you can use the darwin bootloader to boot either OS.

• Alternatively you can choose to install Acronis OS selector (start > program files > Acronis disk director suite > Install OS selector, to boot into either OS.

Enjoy the Appleness :)

Running smooth on Core 2 Duo T7200, Intel i945PM ICH7.

Now that the OS's seem te get along, let's keep our fingers crossed for the Windows/Mac fans to act likewise :)

@ Ol!ver

You can resize your MAC HFS partition using a tool like iPartition

and create a new partition for your vista install.

make sure it's a format vista setup will recognise. I think FAT32 will do (no experience with vista).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, I'll use NTFS I reckon.

Thanks for the link, knew there had to be some software somewhere !

what i did was install XP first, install OSX86 10.5.1 Kalyway's version with MBR option and no vanilla (i had some problems) and...that was all...it was dual boot.

when the boot loader timer counts down those 5 or so seconds to select the partition i want to boot from (default is osx) i just select the other partition....that has WinXP on it. works perfectly no problems so far. :P

@Love@1stMac

how did you partition your HDD?

I have a 320GB HDD and made the following partitions:

1. 15 GB for WinXP

2. 15 GB for MacOS X

3. 290GB for Other Stuff

I first installed XP, and want to install OS X later. So MBR works instead of GUID?

would that work, using your method? Or how did you do it?

thx,

Johnny_Bravo

• 2 weeks later...

Lonerdj,

I have two questions regarding kernels:

1) Is it possible to have dual boot, XP and Leopard with Vanilla Kernel?. I think it is interesting to get updates easily ;)

2) Can I boot freely between Vanilla and TOH's kernels?. Which one is best?.

Thanks in advance!

Right now I've got a 300 GB drive like so:

Partition 1 - Vista Beta (which I want to get rid of) NTFS 20GB C:

Partition 2 - XP NTFS 20GB D: Already installed, configured, etc

Partition 3 - Data NTFS 260GB E: Filled with games, apps, etc

I never use the Vista, so I wanted to put Kalyway on that. If I format the first partition as HFS journaled and install OSX on it, I should be able to boot into XP just fine through the Darwin bootloader? When I do boot XP, will my drive letters change? D: -> C:, E -> D:

Thanks

One easy way to avoid boot issues:

Use kalyway dvd to make two partitions.

Stop there and install Windows Xp first.

Then install kalyway Leopard last.

During the leopard install, it will set leopard back to the active partition and the darwin boot loader will automatically pick up the windows drive.

Enjoy dual booting without the use of bootcamp!

OK, I created three partitions (MBR): partition 1- 10 GB, FAT32; partition 2- 15 GB, FAT32; partition 3- 50 GB, HFS+. I installed OSX.5.1 first, booted, watched the video, and filled in the info (it worked multiple times after installing drivers and kexts)...

Then I installed XP. It booted. I added drivers for my mobo, etc. It booted fine multiple times.

Then I installed Vista, took a minute to authorize it over the phone - again. I added drivers for my mobo, etc. it booted fine several times as well.

Then, I booted up with the Kalyway DVD and typed -s at the prompt. It booted up into Shell. I followed the instructions here. everything seemed to go fine. Then on reboot, it hangs on the 1st darwin screen. Just freezes. How do I fix it? If I start with the DVD, it loads the bootloader and only osx partition shows up.

I have tried re-installing kalyway .5.1 with no change. I think it wrecked the first hd that I did it on (after like 4 tries) of trying different options. Has anyone had success with 3 partitions?

[update]

I found out by accident that if I type "rd=diskXsX", it boots into safe mode. I also found an error when booting from the osx partition from boot menu that says "HFS+ partition error". So, I guess I need to try to reformat the partition and re-install Leopard?.. or is there an easier way?

OSX86: Kalyway 10.5.1

MoBo: ASUS P5GC-MX/1333

VidCrd: MSI Nvidia 8500GT

IDE: DVD drive & 80GB HD

ThxInAdv

OK. So it must be a Vista issue. That's OK I guess. I'll always have Vista to do some neat tricks on my CD spindle. Lame.

So here is what I ended up doing:

1. Boot from Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD

2. Use DiskUtility to create partitions with MBR

-1st partition formatted HFS+

-2nd partition formatted FAT32

3. Exit DiskUtility and Reboot to XP install disc.

-(I formatted the empty partition to NTFS from here; but you probably don't have to)

-Install XP on the FAT32 (or NTFS) partition

-let it reboot and complete the install.

-go eat dinner

-Check and make sure the install was successful

4. Reboot to the Kalyway disc and install OSX86 (make sure you only check the "MBR" box under EFI)

Ta dah!! Thank you 2805 :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

From the get go, I partitioned a disk to one Mac, on Windows with Seagate 7200.10 300G. My board is Gigabyte EP35-DS4.

I've installed XP in the second partition.

First I had to slipstream ICH9 AHCI driver to do the installation of XP, because the installer does not have it and I did not want to use floppy.

I installed it, and rebooted.

Now, the Intel AHCI bios hungs at scanning the Seagate disk.

If I don't unplug the disk, I cannot get to the bios setup.

I hooked up another SATA disk and it does work.

Also, if I disable the AHCI, the seagate disk boots into the XP too.

I know XP is a bad karma. But, I do not understand how on earth that installing XP does something bad to either the Intel AHCI bios, or the disk to make them to fail the SATA initialization negotiation in the boot up.

It's really frustrating as the disk seems fine as it boots into XP if I connect the disk to any of IDE designated SATA ports.

UPDATE:

I ended up "erase disk" with Seagate tool, the disk became "fresh new". I lost the installation but the disk is back in operation.

I suspect that XP installation did something to either MBR or partition table, and somehow it made AHCI bios hang.

Since then, I repartitioned the disk and put back the disk image of 10.5.2, and then put back the MBR with "fdisk -u" after booting up. It's working now, except XP installation is gone at the moment. I'm thining about next attacking plan.

UPDATE2:

You must not let the Windows installer to create a new partition from "free space". This will corrupt somewhere around the boot sector during XP installation that makes AHCI bios very unhappy. When installing Leo, create both X and DOS partition ahead of time.

You must not choose "convert from MS-DOS to NTFS" option during XP installation. Choose fresh NTFS partition. The boot loader will not be installed and you'll end up with the Windows partition that does not boot. You'll see "Disk Error" at the DOS boot loader and you'll scratch your head.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So this is what I did:

Installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on MBR with two partitions (1 journaled 1 fat).

Updated to 10.5.2

Installed XP

Used acronis to set leopard partition active.

reboot: leopard boots fine but I am not getting a boot menu to choose xp.

What do i do?