Apple G5 Case Mod (Suggestions, please)

stellarola

33 posts in this topic

Hi Stell. I can see your project is ok so far. I just mounted my case a couple of weeks ago but I have a lot of work to do yet.

2319750225_9f49c27cd3.jpg

2320564570_5cd6c66a2d.jpg

2339086915_e4201742fb.jpg

2339918186_1b563f875c.jpg

I think that my major problem is that my case came completely naked inside (without the plate that divides the up side from the ohter part of the case). I'm also without the chip for the front panel. I think I can get some of those parts here in Brasil from a local Apple store but I will need some time and it won't be very cheap.

The rest of the pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabriciogs/se...57603711634882/

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to see more updates on this mod =] I'm building one soon but it's sort of primarily going to be a PC and I found a really good looking Cooler Master case. I lack the skills and time to go modding a G5 case =[

check this one out http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=3387 has an aluminuim finsh to it to match the G5

Sorry to contraddict, but the metal finish on the lian li (or whatnot brand) and apple products are VERY different.

Might not look like, but apple products are coated ad painted with special heat resistant paint. If you wanna go for a back replacement, if you want to do a proper job you should go to a car painter with a piece of the Powermac case and ask to reproduce THAT particular matte colour on your new tray.

Torque: Actually, finish of major metal parts of G5 case (such as 3mm thick aluminium bent sheet which makes G5 case what it is) is made by anodizing. Anodizing can be done with several colours of surface in finish, grey used on G5 case if one of them. Anodizing makes surface of anodized metal very strong and resistant to negative influences. And thats what they used on G5 case, almost imposible to reproduce same style of surface "at home", AFAIK.

And with that heat resistant "paint" - well, it is heat resistant, but it does not mean it can't turn darker when it gets heat from heatspreaders or passive coolers every day. I can see structure in burnt silhouette of heatsink inside of that damaged G5 case I have.... =)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i'm a complete noob in case modding or case building. But i wanted to ask how exactly do you install the power button? If i start from scratch where can i get the power button? Sorry for this probable retarded question, but i really want to know so i can go ahead and buy that mac pro case =(

Stellarola:

Looking at the diagram of your G5 mod, I see that you plan on putting the front fans under the HDDs...why not put them in front of the HDDs to cool them off? If the drives are spaced properly, you'll still get air-flow thru the case.

Why didn't you go with a mobo tray? Looks like you're losing the use of 2 pci slots.

You said the G5 case has small inside. I think it's one the biggest mid-size towers I've seen and probaly one of the widest. I think it seems that because of the way you mounted the mobo. I'm not knocking you or others who have done it that way. I'm just saying. Taking out the rear part of the top shelf limits your options there.

Good Luck on your G5 mod!

Phreakincool

P.S. And yes I, too, have G5 build in progress. I'll post as soon as I take some decent photos.

Actually, I've been done with my mod for a while. It's nothing fancy by any means. I did lose 2 PCI slots, but I'm not too worried about them. I added a Firewire pci card and I plan on buying a PCI-E Wifi card. Good luck on your build.

-Stell

Stellarola:

Looking at the diagram of your G5 mod, I see that you plan on putting the front fans under the HDDs...why not put them in front of the HDDs to cool them off? If the drives are spaced properly, you'll still get air-flow thru the case.

Why didn't you go with a mobo tray? Looks like you're losing the use of 2 pci slots.

You said the G5 case has small inside. I think it's one the biggest mid-size towers I've seen and probaly one of the widest. I think it seems that because of the way you mounted the mobo. I'm not knocking you or others who have done it that way. I'm just saying. Taking out the rear part of the top shelf limits your options there.

Good Luck on your G5 mod!

Phreakincool

P.S. And yes I, too, have G5 build in progress. I'll post as soon as I take some decent photos.

• 4 months later...