British Schools Told to Avoid Vista

65 posts in this topic

Symantic found that Vista was not stopping mailware and virus's as much as been claimed and Windows defender came out one of the worst of all the mailware apps.

Actually it was worse than that. There were many independent companies that have also verified this. It couldn't even detect viruses that were 10 years old or older. What a joke :)

Everytime you post you sink deeper in bullsh*t. You are in total denial. The graph is good AND bad, depending on whether what it shows corresponds to your beliefs. Go on, I'f the idea that you may suffer down syndrome didn't hold me back, I would be crying.

Oh please, lets just drop it, I'm sick of explaining the obvious, it proves Microsoft force fed the Windows babies from birth. Microsoft have finally got on top of their security after 10 years when really it was a simple fix in the first place which other OS's have had from day one if you want to talk about other OS's.

When you get a system X, its gonna come with Y numbers of issues that are gonna take Z amount of time to fix.

LOL :( That implies that security issues are built-in and linear. They're not. If that were true don't you think the respective companies would remove them before they issued the code, or do you think they leave these security issues in because they are like the police having to make a quota each month to give out speeding tickets :P

Befuddled microsoft employee #1: Well we're about to release vista to the public and we found 12 extra security issues so far.

Befuddled microsoft employee #2: That's great! If we remove one each month that will last us a whole year :)

... theres no point in upgrading. Schools that use Macs should stick with whatever version of OS X the computers shipped with. 10.3 and 10.4 are fine for Safari, iLife, and Office/iWork. The same goes for XP. In fact, the only schools that should upgrade OS's are the schools that use Linux :D

Not a big fan of 10.3 but generally speaking I agree with everything here. No sense in upgrading for the sake of upgrading. They need to use this money to pay teachers more so that they attract better teachers and have a better educational system.

• 1 month later...

What they are saying is, that Vista isn't much of an upgrade. It doesn't have any 'must have' features that would make an upgrade worthwhile. Do you know how much money it would cost for every school in Britain to upgrade to Vista? Millions, perhaps billions.

So would it be worthwhile to spend millions and millions on upgrading just for the few small worthless features, ie. Aero, Dreamscene etc...

They are not required in an educational environment so why should schools pay to upgrade...

I'm sure they're happy with it's stability, but it's not that.. it's just the money it would cost, and the lack of new worthwhile features.

With the cost of education being what it is on governments they shouldn't be spending money on updating to the latest OS just cause it has a nice GUI. Every upgrade costs money and when done across a school system that would mean millions of in this case pounds. Until an OS is no longer supported or major benefits are gained from the upgrade the investment would be wasteful. I am guessing that's the reasoning behind the announcement. Free OS anyone?

In a competition held to hack different OS's held recently:

Leopard was Hacked in 10 minutes.

Vista was hacked on the last day (when third party app's were allowed)

Ubuntu was never hacked.

Face it, Leopard is full of bugs, if hackers wated too they could easily hijack every OSX user out there.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL :) That implies that security issues are built-in and linear. They're not. If that were true don't you think the respective companies would remove them before they issued the code, or do you think they leave these security issues in because they are like the police having to make a quota each month to give out speeding tickets <_<

Yes, security issues are pretty much built-in. If the system was never designed properly, then it's always going to have security problems. Read this, especially #3: http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_sec...ditorials/dumb/

I work in IT at a fairly large call center, and we're avoiding Vista for a good number of years to come. And I'm pretty sure that 90% of companies and businesses out there are on the same path. Reasons? It's quite obvious.

I wanna smack the moron that wrote that pile of garbage. #4 was a huge laugh, without a security audit and proper software development you're not gonna go anywhere. You can't have one without the other or your just deluding yourself.

To the point, I know of three schools that upgraded their labs to new computers and Vista OS's where as one school bought all new iMacs. The students hated the iMac's by over 80% after the first term and just were polled again this term and found 95% now wanted them gone. Needless to say there was outrage and now the school board is selling the iMac's for a Vista desktop lab and a laptop in class pilot program.

I know of three schools that upgraded their labs to new computers and Vista OS's where as one school bought all new iMacs. The students hated the iMac's by over 80% after the first term and just were polled again this term and found 95% now wanted them gone.

Made up anecdotes are worthless :P

I can only post what I've read. I don't know if being private schools have any bearing on the decision of the last school, which my children attend, or not but these are the facts I was given by the principal none the less.

I don't understand how teenagers or kids could possibly hate OS X. I mean the older generations, well used with Windows, maybe. But a ton of people at my school have Macs. Apple's got the whole "cool" factor that many young ones embrace. So yeah...

icon6.gif so would I. She's one of the reasons why they bought the Mac's, the students are why they are reverting back to Microsoft. She just gave us the poll details, but ya there is no point in getting Vista especially with the new Windows OS coming out. With the amount of knowledge that kids now a days are gaining at such a young age schools should migrate to OSX not only for the security standpoint but also for the ease of programming/designing/developing over that of Microsoft.

I'm not one that is in favour of the change for the worse icon2.gif but I thought I'd share the norm around here in our schools.